• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!

An age-old dilemna: You are now in charge of a trolley

It will eventually derail when it reaches a curve if the speed is right. If it is a railroad truck jump kn and throw on the manual handbrake

Half a century. That's what I get for typing late. Golly, you sure showed me, I guess I'll just crawl back to my hole, because no one can take me seriously on the internet.

Sobbing.gif

Also that was a totally legit "thought exercise". It's just as ludicrous as the other, and yet no one wants to give it a go?

No, your one was ridiculous. Some people are interested in philosophy, you obviously aren't but that doesn't mean you should come on this thread and be sarcastic and make fun of it. Chill man.

No, your one was ridiculous. Some people are interested in philosophy, you obviously aren't but that doesn't mean you should come on this thread and be sarcastic and make fun of it. Chill man.

Implying I'm not relaxed? That's quite an assumption. You were the one telling people not to care about the mechanics of the trolley. What's the deal with that? If someone poses a question, all people are allowed to look at it in the way that makes sense to them, you don't get to decide how people respond to a thread, especially if it's meant to generate thought. Kind of defeats the whole purpose, don't you think?

Guys, it's a THOUGHT experiment that's been around since the 60s. It's supposed to make you think about ethics and morality, not the freaking mechanics of the trolley
Maybe if it used a more plausible scenario it would get better answers.

Implying I'm not relaxed? That's quite an assumption. You were the one telling people not to care about the mechanics of the trolley. What's the deal with that? If someone poses a question, all people are allowed to look at it in the way that makes sense to them, you don't get to decide how people respond to a thread, especially if it's meant to generate thought. Kind of defeats the whole purpose, don't you think?

I was telling people what the point of the question is, I was NOT telling them how to respond. It's a moral question, so therefore pointing out the logical loopholes is pointless, and I was feeling a bit sorry for the OP who obviously wanted to have people's thoughts and opinions.

do u use the same excuse when a joke goes completely over ur head, or u completely miss the point??

Simple.

Act out that Oswald cartoon with the trolley.

I'm pretty sure that will solve our problem.

do u use the same excuse when a joke goes completely over ur head, or u completely miss the point??

What "excuse" are you referring to? They referred to this as a "thought exercise", just because there are replies you don't like or agree with, that means you can discount them entirely? Okay.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Simple.

Act out that Oswald cartoon with the trolley.

I'm pretty sure that will solve our problem.

Best reply here.

tumblr_n2cf0fJLk41sd5ljlo1_500.gif

A trolley is hurtling down a track towards five people. You are on a bridge under which it will pass, and you can stop it by putting something very heavy in front of it. As it happens, there is a very fat man next to you ? your only way to stop the trolley is to push him over the bridge and onto the track, killing him to save five.

How would you proceed?

Going to post my opinions after some people post.

survival of the fittest so long fat guy

I would have no involvement.

If you push a man of a bridge and he dies then that's murder. Period.

I guess the most humane thing to do would jump off the bridge yourself and let your corpse bring the trolley to a halt.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Half a century. That's what I get for typing late. Golly, you sure showed me, I guess I'll just crawl back to my hole, because no one can take me seriously on the internet.

Sobbing.gif

Also that was a totally legit "thought exercise". It's just as ludicrous as the other, and yet no one wants to give it a go?

You're growing on me.

every time I read one of the posts about they'll save everyone, Mariah Carey's 'Hero' pops into my head. I just imagine the scenario playing out, and suddenly, in slo-mo 'and a hero comes alongggggggg'

you say i'm in charge of a trolley does this mean i'm about to run five people over

if so how am i also on a bridge

Back