Benefits of Having Two 3DS'?

Bowie

Bells
Gold Trophy (First Place)
Bronze Trophy (Third Place)
So, I just got a new 3DS, and I have a few questions in relation to playing New Leaf and Happy Home Designer on it.

Now, My new 3DS comes with Happy Home Designer pre-installed, but I already have Happy Home Designer for my older 3DS. What would happen if I played the physical game on my new 3DS? Would I have two separate versions of the game or could I just not play it on that 3DS? Also, if I connect my Nintendo Network ID to my new 3DS, will the pre-installed Happy Home Designer go to my old 3DS as well? If so, again, will it mean I can't play my physical copy?

As for New Leaf, how would that work? I only have a physical copy, so could I play the same data on both? What are the benefits of having two 3DS' when playing New Leaf? Can you have a second town by any chance? Very curious. Also, what if I played New Leaf on two different versions? Like, my older 3DS runs on a different version, and I don't really want to update at the moment, so how would that work? Could I still use them interchangeably?

I can't be sure about the HHD question, but I would THINK that the save data would be the same whether you used digital or physical copies.

As for New Leaf, I have two physical copies of the games and three 3DSes (yeah, I know..I'm excessive) and I haven't run into any issues interchanging them between systems, even after I did a system transfer between my XL and N3DS...and I don't do system updates on them most of the time because I hardly play online and it isn't an issue.

And no, you can't have multiple saves on a single copy even on multiple systems as the data is saved TO the actual game.

Oh, and the biggest bonus to having multiple systems is when you have more than one copy of NL so you can trade between yourself...which is VERY handy when a villager wants signatures or Katie visits and you don't feel like finding someone online to help.

Last edited:
What would happen if I played the physical game on my new 3DS? Would I have two separate versions of the game or could I just not play it on that 3DS?
You WILL have separate versions. All digital games save to the SD card; 99% of physical games save completely to the cartridge.

Also, if I connect my Nintendo Network ID to my new 3DS, will the pre-installed Happy Home Designer go to my old 3DS as well? If so, again, will it mean I can't play my physical copy?
You CANNOT use one NNID on two consoles at the same time, it just won't work out at all.

As for New Leaf, how would that work? I only have a physical copy, so could I play the same data on both? What are the benefits of having two 3DS' when playing New Leaf? Can you have a second town by any chance? Very curious. Also, what if I played New Leaf on two different versions? Like, my older 3DS runs on a different version, and I don't really want to update at the moment, so how would that work? Could I still use them interchangeably?
Physical copies save to the cartridge, so using one cartridge on two systems will still maintain the same save. There are like one or two exceptions to this rule like Persona Q and Fantasy Life; those games can save to the card.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that all the save data on the hard copy of a game with be in that hard copy even in a new 3DS device, the only difference would be that it's in a brand new 3DS. For the HHD wouldn't you just continue downloading the rest of the pre downloaded HHD game? Though I haven't tried it before.. I think if you played the hard copy of HHD on the new 3DS that has a pre downloaded file, it probably won't do anything unless you go to the shop, or it might have a pop up asking you something....I think you could have the same ID and be able to play both games HHD and New Leaf on either 3DS thoughI haven't tried any of these but from the looks of it I don't see why not.

For New Leaf, I think you must have 2 copies of the game for each 3DS device, because one copy can save data and that data will be carried throughout that copy regardless of which 3DS device it is inserted in, it won't be earased unless you earase it on your own. Benefits would probably be doubles of everything in the game which if any accidents happens, you would have an extra one of it. Can always make more tbt bells on this site, and a helpful tool to pass special items onto your game such has fortune cookies, one game could be for perfection while the other one helps it to reach perfection like cycling villagers and moving them to the main game. .. I hope that was helpful in some wayy xD good luck!

You WILL have separate versions. All digital games save to the SD card; 99% of physical games save completely to the cartridge.

Oh, okay. That's great! I doubt I'll really need two versions, but great either way!

You CANNOT use one NNID on two consoles at the same time, it just won't work out at all.

Oh, I see. Well, how does that work? If I signed out on my older 3DS could I just sign in on my new one or something? I definitely want to keep the same ID because I have it connected to my Wii U and everything. I don't think I have much important data on my old 3DS, though, so transferring isn't something I intend on doing, unless I have to for whatever reason.

Physical copies save to the cartridge, so using one cartridge on two systems will still maintain the same save. There are like one or two exceptions to this rule like Persona Q and Fantasy Life; those games can save to the card.

Wonderful!

I use two 3DS' and two copies of NL (one technically belongs to my roommate) and honestly it makes playing New Leaf really great and cuts down on the amount of trading with strangers that I have to do

Oh, I see. Well, how does that work? If I signed out on my older 3DS could I just sign in on my new one or something? I definitely want to keep the same ID because I have it connected to my Wii U and everything. I don't think I have much important data on my old 3DS, though, so transferring isn't something I intend on doing, unless I have to for whatever reason.

You may as well do a transfer because there's no other way to transfer your existing NNID onto your new DS. Once you sign in, it's locked to that console. And a transfers the only way to change it. (They do do remote transfers... But in very rare cases, such as theft. Which they still didn't do for me even tho my DS was stolen)

So if you wanted both DS's to have a NNID you will need to create a new one.

You may as well do a transfer because there's no other way to transfer your existing NNID onto your new DS. Once you sign in, it's locked to that console. And a transfers the only way to change it. (They do do remote transfers... But in very rare cases, such as theft. Which they still didn't do for me even tho my DS was stolen)

So if you wanted both DS's to have a NNID you will need to create a new one.

Can't I choose just to transfer the ID? That's really the only thing I wanted to use, 'cause I have everything set up nicely.

Back