do you remember how to do long division?

do you?

• yeah!!! i love math!

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • i do, but only because i have to/should/etc.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • no, math is stinky!!!

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • other???

Votes: 5 7.7%

• Total voters
I remember it and find it fairly easy, though I'd much rather use a calculator for division. Tbh, math is a very boring and technical subject, so it never really appealed to me. While I received good grades in algebra, I hated having to memorize so many formulas in math just to pass the class. I especially hated doing homework in math cuz it can so long just to solve one problem.

I don't think this was a thing I ever learned in the first place. I didn't go to the best schools and my maths teacher just stopped bothering to turn up after a while. He never taught us anything anyway, just kept barking at us like "Eeeee grow oop will ye" in his silly Postman Pat accent.

Our maths teacher had us all learn a poem to help us remember the key-points to long division, which I still remember to this day (it's sung to the tune of ring-a-ring-a-roses) - unfortunately it could only really be used in december and our exams were usually in May.

Dividend, Diviser,
Quotient, Remainder,
Cross it off,
Pop it across,
Here come Santa's Reindeer.

I know how it works, but that’s because I’m a high school student so I’ve got plenty of math work that may involve long division…I don’t mind.

Not at all. I haven't done it since elementary school and math is easier with calculators, so it's natural for me to forget how to do long division. Am I gonna go out of my way to relearn it? ...Nah.

I'm not sure I ever learned. I was not a great student of math and passed it like walking a thin tightrope.

There's bad at math, then there's me. I rarely grasp any concepts. It's absolutely incredible that I've passed my required college math courses.

I still remember because I had a lot of no calculator tests after elementary school where I had to use it. But if you need me to use it to divide two numbers with decimal points then I've probably forgotten how that works.

most definitely not! i barely knew how to do division back then and i don't know it now 🥹 i honestly don't remember a lot from math classes, it was always my weakest subject

Math is my least favorite subject, but I still remember it as I used it for a class from weeks ago. In my opinion, long division can be helpful in some ways, but I would rather bring out the calculator.

i remember how to do it. i don’t particularly love math though or need to know in theory, so i’m tempted to change my answer to other 🤨

Last edited:
I never actually got taught long division, and whenever I asked my first Math high school teacher about it he acted like I was stupid and that I should know how to do it by now, so I stopped asked and just figured out how to divide in my head instead. Because 13 year old me obviously didn't have the initiative to use google

I came here to post I didn't remember how to. I decided to try it and it was really easy. So I suppose school has stuck with me more than I thought.. quite unfortunate.

Unfortunately I do, I vividly remember reviewing it while doing polynomial long division for a few random math classes I took. It's not too bad once you remember all the little tricks to make it faster.

I have forgotten every form of math taught to me beyond the sixth grade. All that's left in my mind is arithmetic and basic algebra. When I need to do more advanced math for whatever reason I either look up websites that do it for me or give up. It's kinda sad.

Back