• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!

Is a Hotdog a Sandwich?

Is a Hotdog a Sandwich?

• Total voters

chet_manley

Bells
Arcade Tokens
Switch
2630-9248-4224
I am not sure where you stand on the sandwich alignment chart, but this is a question that needs to be settled.

Sandwich-alignment-chart.jpg

For what it is worth, I think a Pop-Tart is more of a ravioli than a sandwich.

Last edited:
I voted for I don't know because, well....i've never actually thought about it.

i don't know. i don't even eat hot dogs with a bun or any mustard. i just eat them plain and microwaved like finger food at 5 am. i like simplicity. but i guess with a bun, technically...???

Is the hot dog a sandwich?No.I think a decent analogy would be the current Chevy Corvette.The Corvette has a hatchback just like the milquetoast Ford Festiva I used to drive but people generally consider the Corvette to be a sports car or perhaps a muscle car and not a hatchback.....even though it has one.The hot dog has the structure and characteristics of a sandwich but nobody really calls it a sandwich.....unless they're the kind of weirdo that also likes pineapple on their pizza.

It’s not a traditional sandwich, but it technically counts as a sandwich.

I only consider a sandwich anything that uses flat-shaped bread, and since hotdogs have a special kind of bread that’s pretty much only for hotdogs, I would say no, it’s not a sandwich.

A hot dog, when prepared in the standard fashion, is not a sandwich. A sandwich necessitates two slices of bread* or other object. A hot dog bun is one continuous piece of bread with a slit where you insert the hot dog.

As for The Sandwich Alignment Chart, I'm a Structure Purist and fall somewhere between the Ingredient Neutral and Ingredient Rebel categories, though I lean more toward the Ingredient Rebel. Reason being? The first thing I think of when I think Ingredient Rebel is an ice cream sandwich.

* Now, ordinarily you associate a sandwich with ingredients of your choice placed between two pieces of bread. It's what my brain defaults to when I hear sandwich, something like PB&J or some such. However, I feel like something else can be used in place of the bread, like in the previous example of an ice cream sandwich being the cookies. Likewise, I am readily willing to substitute the traditional meat and veggies for whatever else. As long as it's something placed between two other things in the sandwich structural formation, it would be a sandwich.

In conclusion, if you so chose to place a hot dog on top of a slice of bread and then put another slice of bread on top of it, that would then be a sandwich. The thing that disqualifies a traditional hot dog from sandwichhood is the hot dog bun.

A hot dog, when prepared in the standard fashion, is not a sandwich. A sandwich necessitates two slices of bread* or other object. A hot dog bun is one continuous piece of bread with a slit where you insert the hot dog.

As for The Sandwich Alignment Chart, I'm a Structure Purist and fall somewhere between the Ingredient Neutral and Ingredient Rebel categories, though I lean more toward the Ingredient Rebel. Reason being? The first thing I think of when I think Ingredient Rebel is an ice cream sandwich.

* Now, ordinarily you associate a sandwich with ingredients of your choice placed between two pieces of bread. It's what my brain defaults to when I hear sandwich, something like PB&J or some such. However, I feel like something else can be used in place of the bread, like in the previous example of an ice cream sandwich being the cookies. Likewise, I am readily willing to substitute the traditional meat and veggies for whatever else. As long as it's something placed between two other things in the sandwich structural formation, it would be a sandwich.

In conclusion, if you so chose to place a hot dog on top of a slice of bread and then put another slice of bread on top of it, that would then be a sandwich. The thing that disqualifies a traditional hot dog from sandwichhood is the hot dog bun.

What if you tear the bun so it isn't connected at the bottom? Is it then a sandwich? I'd also ask where you stand on a submarine/hero/grinder/hoagie...is this a sandwich?

It's also worth pointing out that a hotdog is just a hot stick of bologna, so if a slice of bologna between two pieces of Wonder Bread is a sandwich, then a convenience store hot dog on a stale bun should also be a sandwich, right?

I honestly don't know and I don't care whether it's a sandwich or not. Enjoying the food itself is what matters for me.

lol don't overthink this. a hot dog is not a sandwich. even if it technically could be defined as one, it's an exception to the rule. if you asked someone to bring you a sandwich and they came back with a hot dog.. you'd be confused.

A hot dog bun is bread. A sandwich is things between bread. If you put it in a bun, it's a sandwich.

If you eat a hot dog without a bun, it's not a sandwich.

No.

The only things on that chart I consider remotely a sandwich are the BLT, chip butty, and the sub.

Who keeps coming up with these crazy threads

No. A hotdog is not a sandwich. Its like calling a burger a sandwich, but its not. Its a burger.

anyone that says a sub is a sandwich must also knowledge that a hot dog in a bun is a sandwich, as they're literally the exact same base design

a dish of an elongated piece of bread cut lengthwise long and deep enough to store the chosen filling(s) while still having the bread be a singular piece

- - - Post Merge - - -

Who keeps coming up with these crazy threads

No. A hotdog is not a sandwich. Its like calling a burger a sandwich, but its not. Its a burger.

burgers are sandwiches. they aren't special

burger buns are the only truly unique property they have, but they can be used for non-burger items. as well as burgers an be made with regular bread with little difference. ergo, sandwich

in a court of law i don't think u would have much of a leg to stand on if u sued a restaurant for bringing u out sandwiches and they brought u hotdogs but i would love to hear the professional opinion of a lawyer here

Back