Jury Duty?

Have you ever done/been called to Jury Duty?

• Total voters
Even though I'm legally allowed to, I haven't been called yet. Thank god. I've heard it's boring.

I think the rationale behind having a jury of "ordinary" people is they are usually not connected to the people who make the laws, which reduces the chance of making politically motivated verdicts. Civilian jurors may also be more likely to really consider the impact of sending someone to prison when making their verdict while professional jurors and judges may consider it more "routine" to send someone to prison. Yes, being forced into jury duty is inconvenient for people, but if it were a volunteer or full-time position, then it would inevitably become political.
it also forms the basis for the "reasonable person" test in many laws. for example, use of deadly force in self defence. one of the four criteria for a valid use of deadly force is that you "reasonably believe you're in imminent danger of death, rape, kidnapping or serious bodily harm". in this case, a jury would would essentially ask themselves if they would have believed they were in imminent danger a tthe time.

Back