White Pansy
White Pansy
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Rose
Purple Violet
White Lily
I was wondering who of you have seen the first Hobbit movie and what you thought about it. Also, for those who saw the new HFR format, what did you think? Be sure to include if you have read the book or not.

I thought the movie was great.

Edit: put any spoilers in spoiler tags too.

I thought it was spectacular. Blasted away my expectations. I saw it in the 3D HFR format and it looked amazing.

I haven't seen any nor do i plan to.

I have this thing where once people become obsessed with things, I refuse to see them (ie; harry potter, avatar, hunger games) lolbye

I haven't seen any nor do i plan to.

I have this thing where once people become obsessed with things, I refuse to see them (ie; harry potter, avatar, hunger games) lolbye

Yet... Glee.

Is this like the prequel to The Lord of The Rings?

Yes.

Having read the book a while back and enjoying it so much, I really want to see this film. The only problem is that I'm antisocial and have no one to go see it with, lol.

Last edited:
I thought it was amazing. There were so many shots that actually made me say, "Woah." There were so many amazing views. Granted most of them were still green screen, they still looked amazing. My favorite scene in the whole movie, probably was the riddles in the dark scene.

I'm a huge Tolkien nerd, but I thought some things were poorly handled in this movie.

You can read my (spoilerish) review here: http://www.theonering.net/reviews/review.php?id=413
Hey you go to TORn too, lol.

Anyway I agree with what you wrote, but not really your score. I liked it a lot, but it did feel like the first third of a 200 page book was made into an almost 3 hour movie lol. They were pretty faithful to the book, which is why it feels like that I think. And they didn't speed it up like they did with the LotR films. It felt like they had to introduce a lot in this movie, so I think the next two will be a lot better.

Desolation of Smaug should be incredible. Beorn, Spiders, Mirkwood Elves, Laketown, Smaug, Bard...wow.

Here's a still from Desolation of Smaug, if anyone is interested.

hobbit-desolation-smaug.jpg

Desolation of Smaug should be incredible. Beorn, Spiders, Mirkwood Elves, Laketown, Smaug, Bard...wow.

White Coucil vs. Sauron / Dol Guldur will probably be in there too. I'm not sure if it will go all the way to Bard killing Smaug though. I don't know, might not leave enough for TaBA.

Saw it recently: I read the book three years ago and enjoyed the book. I most enjoyed that the movie was so pure in relation to original content from the book. The movie didn't assume the book needed improvement, which most book's-turned-movies do. Two movies which destroyed the book were Ben-Hur and Ella Enchanted. *sigh* It's painful even mentioning them.

The movie was great. Id give it a 4/5. Ive read the book. And you cant really compare this movie to any other LotR because they arent really the same. It was really good and I would recommend everyone who plans to see it to go for the 3D version. :)

I enjoyed myself watching it but the beginning scene was confusing since I read the book and it didn't begin with that, but with that there was a hobbit.

On the way home, my mom said that she didn't like the character Precious. I was confused so I asked. She was actually talking about Gollum.

I enjoyed myself watching it but the beginning scene was confusing since I read the book and it didn't begin with that, but with that there was a hobbit.

On the way home, my mom said that she didn't like the character Precious. I was confused so I asked. She was actually talking about Gollum.

Like this?

zsdWM.png

There were so many amazing parts in it
the deer that the one elf was riding on, Radagast, fighting scene with the ladder. uuuuugh.
but it also felt a bit drawn out at times and don't know why Jackson is making it into a trilogy. It could be wrapped up in one movie, two at the most. I guess we'll have to see how it goes.
I'm thinking he'll go more into detail about the necromancer than Tolkien did in the book
I really can't wait to see Smaug later on. I'm crazy about dragons... and other fantasy creatures. Seeing all the different creatures in the Hobbit made me really excited and will continue to do so :D (I hope that doesn't count as a spoiler. He's a pretty huge part of the film... and is pretty much announced at the beginning....)

I read the book at the end of high school and enjoyed it a lot. I tried reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy afterwards but never managed to get past the Council of Elrond chapter in the first book xD One of these days I'll get through them. But yeah. The Hobbit was an enjoyable read for me.

Back