2023 (Soon) Has Your Stance On Curse Words Changed?

How do you feel about curse words on TBT in 2023

• None should be allowed

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Some should be allowed

Votes: 36 61.0%
  • Only if it's censored or abbreviated

Votes: 18 30.5%

• Total voters
I grew up in an environment completely immersed in all manner of verbal obscenity, so as long as everyone is mutually respectful, I'm not really offended by any specific words.
I don't know why this made me laugh...and I sure hope your home life while growing up was full of love and care. It's just the way you worded it. :) I'm from an older generation and cussing wasn't as prevalent then as it is now, but I "cussed like a sailor" for as long as I can remember. It did get me in trouble a lot but it didn't change my habit, lol. But honestly I don't use any swear words in my written word. I guess because I have time to monitor myself versus heat of the moment. hehe. But it bothers me in no way if other people want to or do.

I generally just don't swear. But with that said, I don't really mind? Just don't use them towards other members. We're kinda lucky we're even allowed to have them posted censored (Alternatively could've had the message not go through at all) considering this is an Animal Crossing forum.

On here I am very polite but make no mistake, I have the biggest potty mouth in the world :') I swear in every other sentence and I have for most of my adult life.

I must admit though, Im not so sure swearing is needed when it comes to AC. I dont believe censored swears should ever be an issue but I do believe there shouldn't be a chance on here to outrightly swear !

I feel like some of the “less harsh” swear words should be allowed, as long as they’re not directed at another user. Some of the harsher ones (the ones that are usually directed at someone), shouldn’t be allowed, that way, heated arguments could be avoided.

While I swear a lot when alone or among close friends, I don't do it among other people generally and thus I don't care one way or another about not being able to swear here. I'd say it might even help me stop doing it in real life but, unfortunately, that hasn't proven to be the case. In my case, swearing is also more of a spoken thing rather than something I'm going to type out.

Considering the forum can have members as young as 13 years of age, it's probably for the best that we maintain the cordial, clean tone. Granted, having formerly been a 13 year old, I feel like young people are already exposed to plenty of curse words from friends, relatives and media, so there's a bit of performative nature to the whole thing; that's more to do with society at large rather than TBT though, and my experience is anecdotal, so kind of a tangent.

Getting back on track, the forums' stance on swearing is just kind of a non-issue to me. If anything, I feel like it's probably a net positive by virtue of keeping the forums friendly and pleasant.

I think some should be allowed like piss, ass, hell, and crap

But the F word and the S word, those might be a bit far

It's 2024, and no. It hasn't. It seems you can't even substitute asterisks (*) with letters, anymore, as I got a warning because of it in another thread, so I had to change the last sentence to something else that conveyed the same meaning.

Last edited:
I'm pretty content with how swearing is handled on TBT. I don't mind that it's censored since you can usually tell what the word is anyways. There aren't a lot of threads where you'd use swears though, but at least you can sort of say them at all.

That being said, I think words like 'crap' and 'ass' are fine, as long as they aren't used inappropriately or towards another user. ("That's pretty crappy" or "Totally badass!", for example.) And I definitely think that strong profanity being censored is fine, since it's harsh and you wouldn't expect to see it on an AC forum, of all places.

I'm never bothered by swearing. In fact, I think they convey someone's anger or reaction about something clearly, and sometimes produces hilarious results. However, I fully understand why TBT heavily restricts the use of certain bad words, as there ARE minors that are allowed to browse here. If a parent just so happened to see something on here that was uncensored, you never know what they may do to punish their child. It can be as little as the user going inactive for a bit, or a full-blown parental block and a "lovely" note to one of the moderators. Not to mention, it could go as far as a complaint to a children's online protection agency. That would be pretty bad.

But really, a forum centered around an E-rated game where you talk to friendly animals with human qualities should be inviting to everyone regardless of age. If someone wants to use nothing but swears for comedic effect on TBT, they need to find a different forum. I made that mistake myself when I posted a YouTube video that showed an uncensored swear embedded in the video title (the video itself was just a poor rendition of the Star Wars theme with no lyrics) and I got warned for it. Since then, I've double checked and made sure that something I share doesn't have swears in the name.

Back