• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

3DS Games: Do You Prefer Physical or Digital Copies?

Physical all the way. I'll buy some virtual console or eshop exclusive things but all of my downloaded full/retail games were free.

most of my games are physical (i've only had my ds for about three months though) i only have 2 digital games and they are just acnl and kid icarus uprising from the cn rewards. i play animal crossing everyday, so it's very convenient to have it as a digital download, the other reason i decided to buy it digitally was because they didn't have a physical copy in stock lol. since i've had animal crossing, i don't really touch any other physical games (fantasy life, oras, ssb, etc), so i guess i'm leaning towards digital as it's a hassle for me to find the cartridge and put it in.

It depends on the game. For things like the main Pokemon games, I'd rather own physical copies. It's a nice addition to my collection of physical copies. If I were to get Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D (pls god no), I'd get a physical as well due to having all other games physically.
For other franchises, I don't care as much. I've bought Mario and Zelda games digitally, even though I own quite a few of those games physically. I wouldn't have much trouble with obtaining a physical copy of those, and it's not necessarily cheaper over here. I just don't really care about having a physical.

I forgot about save times. Although not a humongous difference, its very noticeable when you compare Etrian Odyssey Untold physical save time vs digital save time. Digital tends to save files faster, ranging from a split second to a couple of seconds. Not the biggest difference but it is a tiny advantage.

I like the convenience of digital all being there with me to carry around in my system, but then again I had to upgrade my SD card in order to get some digital games, and that was a tiny hassle. Nothing too hard about it, I'm just THAT lazy of a person. XD

On the other hand, certain games, like ACNL, I think it makes sense to have a physical copy...especially if you're gonna have more than one town. I don't have a solid reason for this either, but it just somehow seems easier to me to juggle. I was really paranoid about my ACNL copy getting corrupted too, so much so that for almost a year I didn't take it out to play any other games. So maybe I'm kind of weird and not the best to give an opinion on the topic. I put a looooooooot of work into that town though, so I was paranoid of losing it all for a reason. I guess a digital copy could get somehow messed up, deleted or whatever too.

IDK really, I guess it doesn't matter and I don't have too much of a preference. It did feel good though to sell Tomodachi Life back to Gamestop, since I hated that game so much. It was cleansing to hand over the whole package...I don't even know if you can sell back digital copies...it wouldn't be as satisfying probably. That's the only game I ever sold back though, so that's not really a deciding factor either.

Last thing in favor of physical, is that I love to just hold the unopened package for a while when I first buy a game. This is really nerdy, but it's just so fun for me for some reason. I never go tearing into a game. I wouldn't be able to experience that with a digital copy. It's a small thing. But it's kind of like how bookish types love the smell of books. I love reading digital books, but there's nothing like holding an actual book in your hands. It's 2 different experiences, almost as if they're not even really related.

If it was vote, I guess I'd say I prefer physical for nostalgic reasons. But digital is definitely much more convenient.

Originally when I got the 3ds, I was purely thinking of buying games that were all physical. My cousin was gonna buy me a cartridge case and everything for Christmas. I loved buying the games and getting the boxes with manuals, pictures, and little stuff like that but now they don't really do that. The only thing they have in the boxes are they two-fold manuals and the cartridge itself so it's kind of a bummer. I really wanted to collect all the games like I did when I had the gameboy systems.

However, after I got the Pokemon X game, the other games that I wanted to play were either sold out at my Walmart or just not available at the time. Seriously, it took them three weeks to restock new leaf and they were about a week behind getting out Bravely Default... Some games aren't even available physically like with Phoenix Wright Dual Destiny.

So because of that I decided it would just be better to buy the game digitally to save me wasting gas to go back and time since I could play it right now. It's much more convenient too, I have all the games I want to play right there rather than me having to switch cartridges and look like a dweeb pulling out my little game pouch lol

physical. i dont have anything against digital, but i can usually get a physical copy cheaper than the digital copy, as it's not too much of a hassle for me to go to the mall. plus I like the box art, so I prefer physical copies

Well, when it comes down to console games, I think I prefer physical copies.

Last edited:
Definately physical, because sometimes you can buy them cheaper than on the store and also they are better to look out and you dont have to worry about ds breaking!

I go physical with everything when possible.
- It's nice seeing them on a shelf, properly ordered alphabetically/by console.
- 20 years from now something goes wrong with my SD card or console? It will be much easier to just buy a new cheap console to replace it (consoles are usually much cheaper by that point) rather than replacing all the games I can no longer download + the same console.
- Did a game suck really hard? Sell that sucker. This happens less as I get older and learn to spot bad games, but it still happens.

Specifically with Nintendo...
- Their online services suck major arse. If something goes wrong with your console (or you simply upgrade it), it can be a major hassle to also get your games back..............Or you just slap in the disc and carry on as normal.
- 3DS games aren't big. You're not exactly "lugging them around" unless you for some reason feel the need to carry the actual box around with you. I can fit 14 games in a little pouch the size of my fist that pops into my coat pocket with zero hassle, as well as 1 game in my 3DS itself...That's 15 games. I'm never going to need 15 games whilst I'm out and about. I'm probably going to want to play no more than 3 of them at any time and I'll probably know which 3 those are before I even head out.

I prefer physical. I can't buy any digital games anyway, because of Phoenix Wright: Dual Destines and some other things, my SD card has no space

I prefer physical copies, because of my collector neediness and wanted to have everything with a box xD

But I do like digital copies. You wouldn't have to carry all those cartridges around all the time xP

I always prefer physical. I just like having the cases lined up on a shelf haha. I've only ever bought two digital games, and that's because one was on sale by quite a bit, and the other was digital-only.

Physical. It's the same reason why I refuse to use an E-Reader- it just feels right to move around cartridges, like it feels right to turn the pages of a book. After the majority of my life doing it, I can't get used to digital games.

I always prefer physical. I just like having the cases lined up on a shelf haha. I've only ever bought two digital games, and that's because one was on sale by quite a bit, and the other was digital-only.

I've bought digital copies a few times for this reason, though if I like the game I end up buying a physical copy at some point anyway...So I probably don't end up saving any money at all...

Definitely physical for me... but only because you can't Powersave on digital copies. :p

I think I prefer digital, however my Animal Crossing game is a cartridge. I have digital games as well and I like it because I don't have any luggage, it's all there in one place.

Digital all the way. Every 3DS game I own is digital (aside from MH4, Mario Kart, and Luigi's Mansion).

It's why I put a 32 gig SD card in my New 3DS.

Physical. Resell-able, tangible...etc.

Back