• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Am debating whether to get the Japanese XL or American...

Wish

my name is an bye
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
3643-9093-2134
Winter Mittens
Cake
Yellow Candy
Orange (Fruit)
Pear (Fruit)
Well recently it was announced that the XL will be coming to America... but now that I think about it, I am not sure if I should get the Japanese or American.

Perks of having japanese:
Access to exclusive eshop
and yeah that's all I can think of LOL

not sure if that is worth a hundred extra dollar though.
I am currently studying japanese so I felt like it would be nice for me to have a Japanese console too but what do you guys think?

It depends on how well you know yourself. Are you sincerely going to try your best to painstakingly translate words the villagers are saying? Or after a while will that get frustrating and you'll skip conversations, and end up wishing you understood the language to really get the most out of the game.
I also contemplated getting a Japanese system because I'm learning the language too! And if you have the drive, I'd say get one, but I'm going to get American because I want to fully enjoy the game and learn Japanese on the side at my own pace.

We need to exchange friend codes. You just seem like someone I'd really enjoy playing AC:NL with.

Ah thank you :)

My little 8 year old sister is getting the American version so I'm sure that will help a bit...

My sister has a 3DS and I have a normal one too. But I am going to sell my current one regardless on eBay :p

I would go with the American version. It will save you money and you will be able to enjoy the game more. I'd only go with the Japanese version if you have at least an intermediate understanding of Japanese and are truly interested in the Japanese e-shop games.

As someone who own both 3DS and 3DS XL, it wouldn't be a bad idea scoring the latter one. Aside from lower-qualiy speakers, the 3DS XL beats the original one like a beast!

Speaking of importing a Japanese 3DS, it depends on how well you could tolerate the language barrier or master the language. Japanese can be quite difficult and time-consuming (it could go on for years) to learn if you don't study efficiently. If the dialog/text is what you would enjoy a lot, then be prepared to be disappointed if you don't understand much of whatever it is written. Some people imported their Japanese 3DS just for Animal Crossing: New Leaf and they eventually stopped playing it, mostly because they can't stand at the language barrier.

Games and systems sold in Japan are usually pricier than in North America. And if you decide to import them, then shipping prices will come into the play. It's also a good idea to check for a currency converter to see how much they would actually cost.

Importing a Japanese 3DS XL and ACNL will ultimately depends on how well you'll tolerate the language barrier, as well of having enough money. Still interested? Good luck!

Can the Japanese XL use an American keyboard? I think not but I don't know for sure. This would be important if you wanted to visit towns of other people on these forums and communicate with them in English.

Yep, you can type English on any Japanese 3DS model. Just be sure that you don't accidently leave the keyboard on hiragana/katakana mode.

I'd get the Japanese one solely because I speak Japanese; and since you said your sister will be getting the American version that'd be helpful.

The Japanese eShop is amazing; but tbh - I'd only get it if you can actually read Japanese.

@TheBigJC: Not relevant but I actually prefer the LQ speakers on the XL lol

I ask myself this question too. I am also learning Japanese (only since the start of this year, so really new to it). I though that if I got myself a Japanese system and the game that it might encourage me to learn more Hiragana and Katakana and more words. But in the end I decided that I might be able to read them but might not get the jokes that are hard to translate from one language to another, so I'm getting an English version of the game instead.

If you're learning Japanese now, I think you should buy the Japanese cause it will help you learn fast by using it in the game or so

The prospect of using Animal Crossing as a language-learning tool is a fun one, but I just don't think it would pan out so well in real life. I suggest you get the NA 3DS that plays games in English. AC is such a heavily text-based game, attempting to play it in a language you have yet to master would only hinder your enjoyment of it.

In addition, getting a Japanese 3DS would require you to purchase all your games from Japan in order for them to be playable. If you stick with the language for a few years, go ahead and buy a Japanese system. Then you can play Japanese games to stay in practice and aid in preserving your knowledge of the language. You have no idea if your desire to learn Japanese will last long enough to make a Japanese system a worthwhile investment now.

If it would be your only 3DS I think you should get American. It'll be more fun and you will have a better understanding of the game. Plus think about it, you're not only buying the Japanese 3DS but also the Japanese games. That may add up if you don't want to spend too much money.

American, because its cheaper and you'll understand it better so you can have more fun ^_^

I think if you want to learn japanese from games, if you have a gameboy, just buy japanese gameboy games. Cheaper, and you don't have to buy a japanese system to play their games.

It would be better to get an American System unless you are doing Japanese lessons alongside, if you are planning on solely learning from the 3DS I wouldnt recommend it as there is literally no translations to go on, it will be pure Japanese, so anything you dont understand will mean lots and lots of research!
I'd personally would recommend Japanese lessons until you are at a level where you have a pretty good grasp on the language.
Plus its a lot of money to spend on a console which might end up frustrating you and as some others said, put you off :( x

Well I don't know Japanese but I feel I'm still very attached to my animals in my town. I read someone's comment on this forum about people might not be able to be attached to the animals if you don't know what they are saying which I believe is false... Well at least for me. I was using a guide online at first to know which menus etc to choose when talking to shizue or Tom nook etc but now I'm fine. Im getting an English copy for my daughter once its released too. I don't have the collectors edition but I bought the pink LL which I can't get here in Australia but I still feel its very special to me. :)

Back