• The first day of our new Mushroom Season event has passed, but things are just getting started. Read the update about changes made to the schedule, starting with day two. Be careful foraging and good luck!
  • Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Androids vs iPhones

iPhone! I've heard that Android has great customisability but I think iPhone is probably more convenient. I like that I can easily airdrop pictures or whatever from one Apple device to another. Gone are the days of emailing myself pictures lmao

I prefer Android, these days mostly because my browser is synced up with it and all. And it's just convenient to stick with one.

iphone, but only because i’ve never owned or used an android before, so i’m not sure what they’re like. i can’t speak on the newer iphone models since i’ve never owned one, but i still have an iphone 6s and it pisses me off on the regular. it was great for the first 2-3 years that i had it, but the battery has worn down so quickly (it literally went from 60% battery to 16% in the span of 2 minutes yesterday), and it stopped receiving updates ages ago so more and more apps are becoming unusable. it’s also slow as hell, and trying to get webpages to load on it (and not crash) is a pain. apple chargers are also finicky as hell. i think apple products are great for the first few or so years that you have them, but i really do believe the theory that older models wear down more and more every time a new model is released lmao

Android. I've only owned 2 phones and both have been Androids. I'd probably still have my first phone if they didn't stop supporting it, forcing me to upgrade.

I've never used an iPhone for comparison, but my Androids have been reliable, durable, and easy to use. I also don't own any other Apple products to sync an iPhone up with except my iPod Nano. So I don't see myself going away from Android in the future.

iphone! i did used to have android phones but they're kind of ugly , i do think apple are evil but android and apple basically have a monopoly on the phone market here so there's not a whole lot of choice

I'm sure most people are aware of this, but I just want to flavor this conversation with a bit of context-

iOS is a proprietary operating system made for use solely on Apple devices, which tend to use special hardware unique to Apple devices. The benefits of this are largely that technical support tends to be a much easier task, because hardware and software are generally consistent across the board. The downside being that because of the specialized hardware and locked-in software, upgradability and user freedom are severely restricted, not to mention the various concerns regarding privacy, though Android isn't exactly without its problems in that regard, either.

Android is an open source operating system that anyone can use, modify, and sell with virtually no limitations. As a result, the variations in hardware between different Android units are going to be absolutely immense. This means more freedom and upgradability on the user's part, but also means that there's more room for the hardware to fail or otherwise be incompatible with the software. It also means that everyone's experience with the operating system is going to be vastly different, depending on which device you purchase, what mobile carrier you purchase it from, and probably some other factors that my mind can't think of right now.

It's a similar argument to Windows vs. Mac. There are valid reasons to prefer one over the other, but I often hear proponents of the latter list the problems they have Windows, only for it to be an extensive list of problems that only exist because of faulty hardware or because they bought their PC for reasons well beyond the scope of the machine they ended up purchasing. (Or they perpetuate myths such as "Macs can't get viruses" but that's a separate topic) Or their basis of comparison will be the cheapest, bottom of the barrel PC imaginable, whereas even baseline Mac products tend to go for a premium.

I largely prefer the openness of a good Android device, so that's what I use for my phone or for any device that I use largely for leisure. But it's hard to deny that in addition to the benefits of specialized hardware, iOS's seniority in the mobile market has made it so that there are significantly more PC-adjacent apps readily available for iOS than there are for Android. There have been some major improvements as Android has caught up to and even surpassed Apple in some markets, but it still has a long way to go. So for anything related to work or semi-serious productivity, in most cases, iOS is usually the way to go.

I like android phones but I hate android tablets. iOS is great on their iPads but I don't like it for phones. Idk I'm weird. I've used android phones and apple phones but stuck to android.
This isn't terribly unusual. Android tablets have gained a reputation in some circles for being cheap tat that you buy for children as a substitute for a babysitter, or for something you buy for Netflix and basically nothing else. There are definitely better and even good Android tablets out there, but for the price point they go for, you might as well just get an iPad or even a cheap Windows tablet if you can find one.

I'm sure most people are aware of this, but I just want to flavor this conversation with a bit of context-

iOS is a proprietary operating system made for use solely on Apple devices, which tend to use special hardware unique to Apple devices. The benefits of this are largely that technical support tends to be a much easier task, because hardware and software are generally consistent across the board. The downside being that because of the specialized hardware and locked-in software, upgradability and user freedom are severely restricted, not to mention the various concerns regarding privacy, though Android isn't exactly without its problems in that regard, either.

Android is an open source operating system that anyone can use, modify, and sell with virtually no limitations. As a result, the variations in hardware between different Android units are going to be absolutely immense. This means more freedom and upgradability on the user's part, but also means that there's more room for the hardware to fail or otherwise be incompatible with the software. It also means that everyone's experience with the operating system is going to be vastly different, depending on which device you purchase, what mobile carrier you purchase it from, and probably some other factors that my mind can't think of right now.

It's a similar argument to Windows vs. Mac. There are valid reasons to prefer one over the other, but I often hear proponents of the latter list the problems they have Windows, only for it to be an extensive list of problems that only exist because of faulty hardware or because they bought their PC for reasons well beyond the scope of the machine they ended up purchasing. (Or they perpetuate myths such as "Macs can't get viruses" but that's a separate topic) Or their basis of comparison will be the cheapest, bottom of the barrel PC imaginable, whereas even baseline Mac products tend to go for a premium.

I largely prefer the openness of a good Android device, so that's what I use for my phone or for any device that I use largely for leisure. But it's hard to deny that in addition to the benefits of specialized hardware, iOS's seniority in the mobile market has made it so that there are significantly more PC-adjacent apps readily available for iOS than there are for Android. There have been some major improvements as Android has caught up to and even surpassed Apple in some markets, but it still has a long way to go. So for anything related to work or semi-serious productivity, in most cases, iOS is usually the way to go.

This isn't terribly unusual. Android tablets have gained a reputation in some circles for being cheap tat that you buy for children as a substitute for a babysitter, or for something you buy for Netflix and basically nothing else. There are definitely better and even good Android tablets out there, but for the price point they go for, you might as well just get an iPad or even a cheap Windows tablet if you can find one.
This is a really good summary, thanks for the info! 😊

I used to be a hardcore android user. As in I would never touch an Apple device ever. This was mostly because the first Apple product I owned was an iPod Touch (4th generation I think?), and back then I didn’t find it user friendly at all. I had a Windows PC back then and to get anything off the iPod you had to download iTunes, which I thought was clunky to use. The lack of customisation compared to Android smartphones at the time was also another off-putting thing.

Fast forward to today, I’m much more open to using Apple products. I have to use an iPhone in my job, and after not using Apple products for years the difference is incredible. Way more personalisation options are available. iPhones have a lot of features I really like, and some things I dislike. I still have an Android phone as well, and there’s some things I like and dislike about it too.

Overall I have a slight preference for Androids, but I’ve come to appreciate iPhones a lot more over the years.

I've always used iPods, but for phones, it's Android for me. I much prefer the UI since I'm used to it.

And I like using the browser and stuff I want instead of Apple's default apps.

got an iphone. not had an android phone before. when this iphone pops its clogs then i'll just see if we've got any old phones around the house and if not then i'll buy a phone that's cheaper

I have never had an android phone in all of the time I had cell phones. I got my first iPhone I believe in 2010, and I haven't been interested in trying other phones because I am comfortable with iPhone products and would rather not have to get reacquainted with a new type of phone. I love iPhones, I like how they look and feel and I like that I can connect all the apple products I have together. I don't like how expensive it is, but I also am not the type that rushes out to get a new phone every time a new iphone is released. I tend to be 3 or 4 generations behind and then get a new phone. Back in the day you were able to get a free phone every two years as long as you renewed a contract for 2 years and that included the newest iphone releases but... they changed that awhile ago.

Back