• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Animal Crossing in North America : multilingual release please !

Boccages

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
0347-4629-2695
Silver Mailbox
Pear (Fruit)
Orange (Fruit)
Mailbox
A common sight now with console and PC games releases or even on the iOS and Android Apps stores are software that come with localized files depending on the settings one chooses for its console/tablet/computer/phone.

Most of the games nowadays come with EFIGS, a term in the industry that describes the five languages under which publishers test their game for release (English, French, Italian, German and Spanish). Better yet, we can also see a trend that adds more languages to these regular 5 : Portuguese, Dutch, Japanese, Mandarin are often added to the bunch. Ubisoft, Capcom, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, Activision, Square-Enix / Eidos, Konami, EA, etc. usually all publish their games EFIGS ready at least. I haven't played to a Legend of Zelda or Mario game in English since the Gamecube days, for example. Other small players, like Natsume, for example, have not followed suite.

I am HOPING very very heartedly that Nintendo will have thought about the non-English speakers in North America and at least included French files for the NA version of Animal Crossing: New Leaf. After all, we are a 8 000 000 strong market here in Qu?bec and Animal Crossing is language heavy. Moreover, with its thematic and cutie-patootie approach, Animal Crossing sure targets a wider than usual public, including younger kids. Besides Nintendo doesn't have an excuse as Animal Crossing : New Leaf will be published in French in Europe 5 days later than in North America.

It would definitely make sense to include french and spanish as well as english with the game, I don't see why this wouldn't be the case.

I am HOPING very very heartedly that Nintendo will have thought about the non-English speakers in North America and at least included French files for the NA version of Animal Crossing: New Leaf. After all, we are a 8 000 000 strong market here in Qu?bec and Animal Crossing is language heavy. Moreover, with its thematic and cutie-patootie approach, Animal Crossing sure targets a wider than usual public, including younger kids. Besides Nintendo doesn't have an excuse as Animal Crossing : New Leaf will be published in French in Europe 5 days later than in North America.

I wouldn't worry about a lack of French on New Leaf here in Canada/Quebec... Nearly every single one of my Nintendo published 3DS games bought here have this on them:

AD2Vmx0.jpg

IatajJU.jpg

I'm hoping to see some Spanish in the game as a language to choose from. While I mostly speak English, I do like to speak and read my native tongue. I'm not entirely hopeful to the idea, but there's a chance..

Thank you Justin :) I sent an email about it to Nintendo (because AC:WW wasn't available in French). So I'll let you guys know.

I wouldn't worry about a lack of French on New Leaf here in Canada/Quebec... Nearly every single one of my Nintendo published 3DS games bought here have this on them:

AD2Vmx0.jpg

IatajJU.jpg
first time I am seeing those boxes, Guess its due to English and French in Canada
hmm wonder if you can change the language in Us game here.
Might test this with a few games I have.

first time I am seeing those boxes, Guess its due to English and French in Canada
hmm wonder if you can change the language in Us game here.
Might test this with a few games I have.

I changed the language setting in my 3DS System Settings and my copy of Luigi's Mansion 2 suddenly turned French. :p First time I've tested it myself.

Awesome! This means we should be able to get the exclusives in those languages by changing the language. :D I may play in French a bit to try and relearn all of the French I've forgotten.

This is 'murica. Speak english here or gtfo. jk. Or am I. I'm sure Nintendo will be either considerate or forgetful but not negligent.

English and French are Canada's official languages of course it'll be in English and French up there.

Yes, with all the text in this game, it might be a good way to learn a foreign language, given that you already know the basis and have a good head start on the vocabulary.

Tiens, des francais/qu?becois ?

En effet, un Qu?b?cois ;)

English and French are Canada's official languages of course it'll be in English and French up there.

You would be surprised... We had no localized text until the Wii... Or I would say, until 2008. And then, Animal Crossing : City Folk didn't have French localized texts...

Last edited:
Yes, with all the text in this game, it might be a good way to learn a foreign language, given that you already know the basis and have a good head start on the vocabulary.

En effet, un Qu?b?cois ;)

You would be surprised... We had no localized text until the Wii... Or I would say, until 2008. And then, Animal Crossing : City Folk didn't have French localized texts...

Wait seriously??

If you set the System Setting language to another language than text in games should become that language.

You might want to test it for yourself though.
I've never changed my language to another because I can only speak in and understand English.

Wait seriously??

Nope ! I remember that up until the N64 days or well into my teens I didn't understand what the characters were saying. It made for much more difficult RPGs during the SNES days (A Link to the Past & Secret of Mana, particularly). I would have to borrow my parents for translation duties from time to time. Then after 13-14, I was able to handle enough English to understand what was written. Nowadays, I am perfectly able to read long scholar books or have a complex discussion in English. But 25 years ago, it was all weirds sounds and letters to me.

If you already saw Animal Crossing: New Leaf in the North American eShop you will notice that you can choose 3 languages (English, French & Spanish) so it will be on the languages that you've all wanted :)

If you already saw Animal Crossing: New Leaf in the North American eShop you will notice that you can choose 3 languages (English, French & Spanish) so it will be on the languages that you've all wanted :)

The Canadian eShop doesn't have AC:NL listed yet! But thanks for the info, this makes me very happy !

Back