• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Anyone want 20 villagers?

i wouldve liked a slightly bigger island and about 12 or 15 villagers. it's not something that bothers me much though, just have to kick out villagers i'd keep if i had the room

i feel like i'd run out of space bc i've been putting a lot of thought into each villager's house placement and how i'm going to decorate their area (i don't have a "neighborhood" area of houses in straight lines like some people, so i have to do a lot of terraforming for each house bc of the way i'm envisioning my island), but i would maybe like 12?? 15??

i think another major thing (that others have mentioned), is i'd want it if there were more personality types bc i don't like hearing repeated dialogue (it reminds me, for example, that all my normal villagers are the exact same besides their visuals, and makes it harder for me to think of my villagers as unique ;; )

So I'm in game design. I am in school for this.
All of those things you listed are massive for the game production and balance issues. What people have trouble grasping is that games are made to be fun but they are not made to please the player-- they're made to make money.
So right now balancing and programming in anything more than they originally did would cost a heck ton of money that makes zero sense.

20 villagers is incredibly unbalanced. An even larger town seems nightmarish to manage especially with this game already struggling with culling issues and overall glitches. 12 is more reasonable but the others just don't really strike me as good game design at all. 15 seems like its a lot. In the original gamecube game the villagers mainly stuck to their acre so they filled empty space but where villagers have to constantly be checked for location, activity and the surroundings you're talking about a lot of potential memory overuse.
I'm not saying ACNH is perfect by any means but so far their choices in the way the island is structured to make a lot more sense.

Looks like the general consensus is no. What about a compromise?

What if down the line (2 - 3 years from now), Nintendo adds in a 2nd much bigger island with new fruits trees, new variety of trees, new npc’s, tropical color water (green not blue), and white water for rivers (like those in the museum). You get to these islands via Kapp’n...

There will also be four more new personalities type by then (wishful thinking).

Map will allow an option of 10 to 20 villagers which makes the total on both islands at its max to be 30 villagers! But this way people with an already perfect layout aren’t going to have to redo everything.

This could also be a paid expansion which I’m totally fine with even though the current map is too small for a console game IMO.

15 was the limit in gamecube I believe. It would feel nice to have the island a little more populated, but I think I'm okay with 10 though.

Looks like the general consensus is no. What about a compromise?

What if down the line (2 - 3 years from now), Nintendo adds in a 2nd much bigger island with new fruits trees, new variety of trees, new npc’s, tropical color water (green not blue), and white water for rivers (like those in the museum). You get to these islands via Kapp’n...

There will also be four more new personalities type by then (wishful thinking).

Map will allow an option of 10 to 20 villagers which makes the total on both islands at its max to be 30 villagers! But this way people with an already perfect layout aren’t going to have to redo everything.

This could also be a paid expansion which I’m totally fine with even though the current map is too small for a console game IMO.
Still no, I want memory space for other games on my Switch too
Post automatically merged:

A lot of people forget what goes on in the background of games. Sure, you could add all these fancy things and extra stuff but people forget that there is a cost that comes with that. We know we are getting more content and expansions already, and all for what we can assume is one single island.

Memory space, rendering, pathing, all the extra work a CPU has to do, overworking the console's fan, slowing down the game, lags, buffers, etc...

The game is fine with the current map size and the current islander limit. Too much more and you're pushing the game too far.

It's nice to think about what could be done if there was no such thing as limits to programming, sure. But there are limits, and people should remember that a little more often.

Last edited:
I think they should free up some of the seven other multi player slots for villagers instead. Twelve sounds great, at any rate. But I also know that no matter what number the villager count was increased to, I’d always end up wanting “just” one or two more. It’s the nature of selection.

I agree with what Rooftops said and DinoTown? Sure, some things like more villagers seem nice (I'm personally okay with 10 and managed to even out my personalities) but there is the behind the scenes to be considered... I'm sure they're already overwhelmed with trying to get bug fixes solved, especially after the most recent patch. I've also noticed that maybe the servers have been having issues since sometimes me or another player dc in the middle of a trade despite both of our internet being fine? >< though... i think that's another topic of discussion entirely.

I'm happy with 10, and while 12 or 11 would be nice for some as well as having new personalities, i'm also content with the current number!

I would take more villagers, if possible. Twenty does seem a little high given the size constraints of the island, but it could work. I would definitely like to see fifteen or so at least though, like on the GameCube. As it stands, ten is far too few for my liking, particularly as someone who doesn’t plan on using other human characters.

I think giving players more choice over how many villagers move in, with a higher cap and the ability to lower the number of villagers later if one decides the island is too crowded, would be a great idea. A lot of people here seem to be happy with ten, bit I’ve wanted more villagers again for years, and my island feels a lot emptier than I would like.

I personally think it would be an awesome thing! But then again, I also share my island with 3 other people, so having to narrow down all our dreamies to fit within the 10 villager limit was pretty hard, considering most of us each had a full set of 8 before, that was like going from 30 something to only 10. It would have been awesome to be able to pick more villagers, and I love having more villagers to talk with and watch interact. I mean, even if there are only so many personality and sub personalities, I wouldn't get bored. haha.

I would like to have a maximum of 15 villagers but I'm ok with the limit of 10

I wish there was an option where you could select to not have a human villager (since you can have 4 live on your island) and have an animal villager instead. =3 A little prompt could pop up even saying "sorry, but this island package is currently filled." if someone tried to make a new human character.

Not remotely. The repeat dialogue that's already in the game (since there are more villager slots than personality types) is already a bother. I would like to have had 10 slots and 10 types though.

I wouldn’t mind 12 villagers, but I think 16 would be cutting it a little close on space.
Personally if there were more personality types I’d be willing to say ‘more the merrier’ but there’s already a ton of repeating between things my villagers are saying

Not remotely. The repeat dialogue that's already in the game (since there are more villager slots than personality types) is already a bother. I would like to have had 10 slots and 10 types though.
Oh no, changing the personality types at this point would suck without the choice for extra plots, i have a ten villager dreamie list designed to include at least one of every personality type as well as all 7 alligators (with 2 lazies and 2 jocks) and I could only just make things work that way, having to configure it again to include an extra two personalities would mess everything up - no, thank you.

I’m personally fine with 10 but 12 could work best for me. I feel like 20 is too much, not to mention the island is too tiny to accommodate that many villagers. Also, the villager dialogue in NH can get repetitive really quickly, so I’m hoping that Nintendo works is working on villagers more to make them more unique in a way such as having more dialogue based on their zodiac or discuss their goals and skills.

I was thinking that it would be cool if Nintendo added and apartment or a hotel that added 5 more slots but I highly doubt it’ll ever happen.

I wouldn’t mind 12 villagers, but I think 16 would be cutting it a little close on space.
Personally if there were more personality types I’d be willing to say ‘more the merrier’ but there’s already a ton of repeating between things my villagers are saying

I do agree with you. I got Whitney and was so excited but I got Vivian a week before and she is also more snooty than Whitney and Whitney does say the same line over and over again. I don’t mind it as much because just seeing her in the world makes me happy but I can see why it would bother others. Also her place is so beautiful and I love buying both of them clothes! But Whitney isn’t as great as I want her to be (well she not mean anymore) but also because she came after Vivian this time around.

Back