• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Attention Aussies!!!

Leon

Is Awesome.
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Red Candy
Yellow Candy
Mailbox
Yooooo! So as you know and stuff, we are under the PAL region and stuffs, so we are able to connect to the UK e-shop. I was wondering, for those who are planning to buy the game digitally, if you're planning to buy the game via the UK e-shop rather than the from the Aus shop, as it is overpriced!!

I think its around $70 for us, but if we buy it via the UK e-shop its only $50 roughly? Also, I think the e-shop updates in the UK before it does in Aus, correct me if I'm wrong? So it means we can get the game a few more hours early? Maybe?

Thoughts? :D

I'm iffy about buying any games digitally. It's better to have A game card that lasts forever and not have any issues with your 3DS breaking down and losing $69 worth of data.

mmmm... without going into the whole argument, if anything I think buying it digitally is a lot more trustworthy. I think when you buy games, its connected to your e-shop account, so even if your 3DS breaks down, you can still redownload it, and not only that but you can also back your files up on the computer.

Yes, I have looked into this, roughly it is around $50-$60. I haven't tried it yet, the only thing that may happen is your bank might charge you a conversion fee because the money on your card will need to be converted into pounds or whatever currency you're using. If anyone knows more about this aspect please post I really want to know :)

I'm definitely going to try and get it on the UK release date. But if you haven't heard, EB games is offering the Isabelle figure preorder bonus so it's worth preordering as well if you're in to that :)

(Oh and as a side note to anyone else who has just found this out, if you lose your game that you bought from the UK eshop, you must re-download it from the UK eshop, you will not be able to redownload the game from the Australian eshop - The game isn't lost forever you just need to keep in mind which shop you bought it from)

Last edited:
Never knew you can back the files up on the computer.

I downloaded something on an older 3DS that broke down since it was second hand I couldn't retrieve it. Now that I know I can backup games up on the PC. I do that from now on.

Still debating if I be getting NL digitally or by Gatridge either way I will be purchasing it.

The problem comes if your SD card corrupts and you don't have the SD card backed up to your most recent save, then your data is lost sadly. But think how often an SD card corrupts, I've personally never had it happen.

Plus Nintendo's account is linked to your console, not an online account and so if your 3DS breaks beyond repair (unlikely, but who knows...) then you have to re-buy all the games again as you cannot re-download for free. This is my issue with their primitive "account system". But again, how often is a 3DS realistically going to get damaged beyond repair. It's Nintendo's ridiculously high repair cost that puts a lot of people off. Over here it's the same price as a second hand 3DS, but that's the reason they have the account as it is. To get you to pay the high repair cost so as not to lose all your games because they wouldn't get the money from you buying a second hand console.

Buuuuut, the choice is yours and there's pros and cons to both digital and cartridge and there are good reasons for each as well :). I suggest fully researching your options for backup, there isn't much that Google can't answer. Me? I'm getting cartridge and digital!!

This thread is about buying from another eshop, if you want the cartridge that is fine, but it's super anti productive to go into whatever thread and go on about the horrors of digital.

If I lost my game or my dog chewed it up I would have to rebuy it too but you don't see people randomly going into the preorder bonus thread telling everyone they could lose their game.

Games are very expensive in australia, at least if we spent a little less money on the game that is a little less lost if anything happens to it.

I agree 3DS games here are expensive that is not affordable all the time.

But there are prons and cons for both versions of the. But I can say I have had my Nintendogs DS game which has sated me 7 years.

tempting! All banks, (paypal etc) will charge a conversion fee as well as knowing what the conversion rate is. It's hard to believe Australia is in such a good economic position when we are over charged so much of everything, and I mean everything.

It's usually an 8-10% conversion 'fee' so if it is 50 pounds that's about $75 + about $7 in fee's so that's approx $82 AU (or less)..
What is the actual cost of it going to be in Sterling? anyone?

Oh and BTW, why don't we have an "Im an Aussie, looking for other Aussie friends to add for New leaf" thread?? :)

8-10%?! Are you speaking from experience? I've looked around a little bit and could only find that a bank might charge you a 1-2% fee, which is a lot of difference between 10%...

tempting! All banks, (paypal etc) will charge a conversion fee as well as knowing what the conversion rate is. It's hard to believe Australia is in such a good economic position when we are over charged so much of everything, and I mean everything.

It's usually an 8-10% conversion 'fee' so if it is 50 pounds that's about $75 + about $7 in fee's so that's approx $82 AU (or less)..
What is the actual cost of it going to be in Sterling? anyone?

Oh and BTW, why don't we have an "Im an Aussie, looking for other Aussie friends to add for New leaf" thread?? :)

Nah I doubt it is 50 pounds!! The other games were around 40 pounds in the eshop, so that is the most it would be. Which makes it roughly $52 I think, conversion fees can't be 8% that is crazy, most would be 5% event hen, thats pushing it. I think in comparison to how much is charged in the AUS eshop this would be a lot cheaper, I mean $70 for a 3DS game is ridicuously priced.

Also Nigel, even if you buy the "Australian Version" of the game, its exactly identical to the UK version, so our seasons will be reversed regardless.

Maybe they would be if Nintendo actually cared about Australia, in which case they don't, and in which case, the seasons will be the wrong way around no matter what we do :)

Because the point of AC is to cross-region travel so you get version exclusive items.

Nah I doubt it is 50 pounds!! The other games were around 40 pounds in the eshop, so that is the most it would be. Which makes it roughly $52 I think, conversion fees can't be 8% that is crazy, most would be 5% event hen, thats pushing it. I think in comparison to how much is charged in the AUS eshop this would be a lot cheaper, I mean $70 for a 3DS game is ridicuously priced.

Also Nigel, even if you buy the "Australian Version" of the game, its exactly identical to the UK version, so our seasons will be reversed regardless.

That's a bit racist isn't it? =P

...we are under the PAL region and stuffs, so we are able to connect to the UK e-shop.

I didn't know that until now! Thanks a lot for this, because now I don't have to be ridiculously overcharged by the NZ e-shop prices! (It's 90 NZD for a full retail game like Paper Mario: Sticker Star.)

I'm now trying out the Ireland e-shop instead of the UK e-shop to obtain a cheaper price as it uses euros instead of pounds sterling.

(Figures are rounded to the nearest dollar)
Ireland: 45 Euros = 69 NZD
UK: 40 Pounds sterling = 73 NZD

Ireland: 45 Euros = 57 AUD
UK: 40 Pounds Sterling = 60 AUD

Seems like a feasible idea, doesn't it?

Won't the seasons be the wrong way round if you do this?

soz niggy i ignored you <3

they wont b/cos Australia is the same as the EU version so they're opposite anyway

Maybe they would be if Nintendo actually cared about Australia, in which case they don't, and in which case, the seasons will be the wrong way around no matter what we do :)

Yes we'll, this is something that annoys the crap out of me sometimes, like why do we have Easter in autumn down here, and Halloween (which is slowly becoming popular) during spring? IT MAKES NO SENSE PEOPLE!!!

Couldn't be that they are just plain lazy? Or is it just that the big nations are all north hemisphere bound :)

Sorry about the big miscalculation on the %. But it can vary from a small one with some banks to quite a big one with others or even money exchange places.

Back