• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Bored of New Horizons and trying New Leaf?

razza1987

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Hey guys,

I am new to these forums :) I was just wondering if there is anyone out there like me who has gotten bored of New Horizons and gone out and bought New Leaf and what your first impressions are :)

Mine are the following:

The characters in new leaf seem so much more full of life. Today I did the bug off and accidentally hit opal in the process of catching a bug. She asked me if I had ever seen a zombie movie because I looked like I could be a star in one. Ouch lmao. Told me to go and get some rest. It was ironic because I hadn’t been to sleep. I had been running around trying to catch bugs and she then proceeded to tell me that I should slow down and let the bugs come to me lol.

Tortimers island is a massive deal for multiplayer. I went to visit someone island today and we went to Tortimers island. Did the flower mini game so I got to go home with a whole heap of flowers for my island. Why are there no mini games for new horizons like this???

I actually bothered making a town tune and town flag for the town whereas after 630 hours I still never have bothered getting one for my island. The satisfaction rating to unlock development is a HUGE incentive to do stuff like that!

I LOVE the little missions you can do that came with the Welcome Amiibo update! Reminds me of the nook miles.

I LOVE that the upgrades of the tools are actually real upgrades other than just making the tools last longer. Someone was generous and gave me a golden watering can and wow can that thing water a lot of flowers at once! I also read that things like the slingshot are more effective and can fire three pellets at once instead of one :eek:

I LOVE the feature how you can use the storage at the friends train station and it can connect to your storage at home. Again, why did Nintendo cut this feature from NH? When I was on a friends island I told her my pocket storage was full and she told me to store some in the locker and it will be in my locker at the train station when I got home to my own island. Gone are the days of having to leave stuff or emptying your pockets to pick up more stuff on New Horizons!

I love that the re-tail is open until 11pm instead of the store being open until 10pm I’m New Horizons but that’s just a personal preference.

A couple of gripes. The fruit not stacking automatically and the shells not being able to be stacked at all lol. Also the pocket storage is so tiny in comparison to new horizons 40 spaces and the home storage is tiny in comparison to new horizons. Looking forward to eventually unlocking the “secret storage.” Also annoying you can’t choose where the houses are going to go lol.

From what I’ve played through so far in three day’s I’m literally shocked with how much of the features mentioned above Nintendo cut from New Horizons and I literally cant understand why they would. So far, ngl I’m getting much more fun out of New Leaf than I did out of New Horizons. Today was the first full day that I didn’t even bother playing New Horizons lol. The more I play New Leaf it feels as though Nintendo released a half finished game with New Horizons.

What about everyone else? What are your thoughts?

I'm glad you're having fun with New Leaf!

I haven't played New Horizons yet, but I honestly don't know if I'm going to at this point. I like to know what I'm purchasing when I buy a game, so this whole model of doing regular updates to the game just doesn't fly with me. I've been waiting for about the 1 year point or so to see what the game will look like then, but I've also been following the discussions on the New Horizons boards to see what's going on. Like you, I'm amazed at all the simple quality of life features that seem to be missing in New Horizons. You would think that since they existed in New Leaf, they'd be easy enough to carry over to the new game. I know New Horizons has added some additional features like you mentioned, but when you take away features that people have been using in the prior game for years, that's going to cause a lot of complaints.

The dialogue in New Leaf has gotten a bit stale to me, but that's because I've been playing the game for years. When I first started playing, it was fun to see what my villagers would say next. And just recently, I've hit a few strings of dialogue that I don't recall seeing before, so that's been exciting. I do miss the snarky attitudes the villagers had in previous games, but they still say a lot of cute things in New Leaf. It's disappointing that I've heard the villagers in New Horizons are even more boring.

I'm trying really hard not to bash New Horizons, especially since I haven't even played it myself, but the more comments I see like yours, the more I'm glad that I didn't rush to buy it. I'm still having fun with New Leaf and will continue to do so for a while. I hope that you can ultimately find enjoyment in both games.

I'm glad you're having fun with New Leaf!

I haven't played New Horizons yet, but I honestly don't know if I'm going to at this point. I like to know what I'm purchasing when I buy a game, so this whole model of doing regular updates to the game just doesn't fly with me. I've been waiting for about the 1 year point or so to see what the game will look like then, but I've also been following the discussions on the New Horizons boards to see what's going on. Like you, I'm amazed at all the simple quality of life features that seem to be missing in New Horizons. You would think that since they existed in New Leaf, they'd be easy enough to carry over to the new game. I know New Horizons has added some additional features like you mentioned, but when you take away features that people have been using in the prior game for years, that's going to cause a lot of complaints.

The dialogue in New Leaf has gotten a bit stale to me, but that's because I've been playing the game for years. When I first started playing, it was fun to see what my villagers would say next. And just recently, I've hit a few strings of dialogue that I don't recall seeing before, so that's been exciting. I do miss the snarky attitudes the villagers had in previous games, but they still say a lot of cute things in New Leaf. It's disappointing that I've heard the villagers in New Horizons are even more boring.

I'm trying really hard not to bash New Horizons, especially since I haven't even played it myself, but the more comments I see like yours, the more I'm glad that I didn't rush to buy it. I'm still having fun with New Leaf and will continue to do so for a while. I hope that you can ultimately find enjoyment in both games.

I once had a situation where I went to see Grizzly and he asked me a multiple choice question that had three possible answers. I chose the answer I wanted and got his response and left. Immediately after I went to go and see camofrog. He asked me THE EXACT SAME multiple choice question with the exact same dialogue after an answer was given. This has happened more times than I like to count. All the peppy villagers talking about how far away the moon is from the island and that they are going to walk around the same amount of distance on the island and you can call them moon_whatever animal they are. It’s gotten annoying. I see a lot of people on twitter playing new horizons having the same gripes and talking about going out and buying new leaf. I didn’t even bother playing new horizons today. Didn’t even think to. The game is too heavily focused on terraforming and if you’re someone like me who doesn’t care about that there’s pretty much nothing to do other than the fossils (which I’ve collected all of and have 120 spare), fish and bugs. It’s all well and good for Nintendo to say they are going to constantly be releasing updates but in the meantime once you’ve done what the update was for between updates there is NOTHING TO DO. Take for example this current update for New Horizons. The wedding update with Rhys and Cyrus. It’s probably one of their better updates but after doing it seven days in a row nothing changes after that. You no longer get a free daily item for completing the shoot, you no longer get new scenes- it’s either the cute, garden or chic theme. All that’s left to do is to keep doing it to earn the crystals and it just becomes monotonous. It’s sad really that Nintendo felt this was the best way to go about doing things. I paid $80 for New Horizons and it’s boring. Granted I have played 630 hours on it. I did enjoy it for a lot of that time but for the past 200 hours or so I’ve just been making fish baits for people and allowing people to come to my island to catalog my full set of 21 bears. It got to a point where I was only playing to do my daily “chores.” Now I can’t see myself playing anymore unless it’s still to help other people more or when a new update comes out and that’s just sad

interesting to hear! i've wondered how people who've only played new horizons feel about acnl. i'm glad you like it, i think it's pretty underrated atm because it's being overshadowed by acnh.
i know lots of people were upset by the music in acnh, so what do you think of the hourly music in acnl?

I wish I could, but I don't know where my old 3DS and New Leaf even are nowadays. All of the things I've heard people say were removed from New Horizons only makes me more interested to give New Leaf another chance, since I barely gave it one compared to Wild World and New Horizons.

Plus, I'd love to hear my favorite NL hourly theme, 5PM, with proper context! Though it has better graphics, playing that song while playing New Horizons just doesn't feel right.
what do you think of the hourly music in acnl?
…and to segue into this, back when I actually played New Leaf, I couldn't believe they would "screw up" the soundtrack, changing it from Wild World and City Folk's music, but recently I've given it a chance.

I wish the piano didn't keep repeating the first five notes of the NL theme, but I can't deny it has some good, varied hourly themes. As mentioned above, I love 5PM's song. (Bonus points for it being a remix of the original game's 5PM.)

Other songs that come to mind pretty quickly are 1PM, 6PM, 1AM, and the infamous 4AM, just to prove how memorable this game's songs can be compared to the samey nature of some of NH's songs.

I now kinda regret not giving this game's soundtrack a chance. I'll hate its stupid text censorship and not having control over house placement (now that I know about that) forever, but…it would be nice to see just how different New Leaf is. (Plus, at least I could use the old furniture and clothing. Peach's Parasol? Swell Tee? The classic RED BED? YES!)

Last edited:
It’s actually nice to see someone go from NH to an older AC game and comment on how the dialogue was better. I know, I know why would anyone want their villagers to be mean to them, will I think it gave them personality! I hate that cranky villagers in NH are so nice. I want to work towards them being nice to me!
I’m glad you’re having fun on NL, I just hope Nintendo are going to add in features from NL that should have been in the game from day 1.

I know, I know why would anyone want their villagers to be mean to them, will I think it gave them personality! I hate that cranky villagers in NH are so nice. I want to work towards them being nice to me!
Exactly! It's weird, but having every villager be insanely nice to the player makes it boring to talk to them. I wouldn't want any of them to be like the scary pre-NL Mr. Resetti or anything, but they have to show more than a single emotion towards the player.

Glad to hear you're enjoying New Leaf! New Leaf is my first game and to be honest, as much as I love it, the dialogue in game can e super repetitive sometimes but other than that little complaint I love everything about it. I also love New Horizons too, I hate how much content they cut from the game like diving. To be honest, I play both games at the same time. It's difficult but with enough willpower it's possible.
I really can't say which game is better because I've only had New Horizons for so long.
To summarize my opinion on the two games, I really hate that you can't just buy more than one cartridge to have a new island in New Horizons unlike New Leaf. Unless Nintendo changes that dumb rule, in the long run, I think I'd be playing New Leaf more often because I'd just make new themed villages lol. I wouldn't be able to restart my New Horizons island, haha.

Exactly! It's weird, but having every villager be insanely nice to the player makes it boring to talk to them. I wouldn't want any of them to be like the scary pre-NL Mr. Resetti or anything, but they have to show more than a single emotion towards the player.
Hahaha I remember resetti in wild world. He scared me the first time, I was so upset because my DS died, I didn’t do it on purpose 🤣 I just want to have to work towards having a friendship with my villagers! It was so rewarding building relationships with cranky bois, and some of the things they said were funny :3

The way the villagers have progressed really makes me want a remake of population growing or wild world with updated graphics and some extra furniture and quality of life improvements. The villagers were so good in those games but the games haven't aged very well appearance wise. Especially WW looks pretty bad by today's standards.

So far I’m loving the music I’m hearing in new leaf. Already have a soft spot for the 9am and 2pm themes that I have heard. Though there was one song in the game that had a constant tap tap before the music started and it made me worry thinking there was a problem with the 3ds lol

I haven't played NL since NH came out. I can't say I've gotten bored because I feel like every day I'm finding new ways to improve my town, but I can totally get it. NL is fun, and I might go back and play one day when I finally suck it up and buy myself a new 3ds charger, lol

I still play both New Horizons and New Leaf. About the dialogue where one of your villagers said that you look like a zombie, it’s because you’ve played for over one hour without taking a break. Your villagers telling you to take a break can be easily avoided by closing your 3ds and opening it again.

I don’t blame you why you’d feel this way. There are a few gripes I’ve had in New Horizons such as the tool durability (of all features shared from Zelda Breath of the Wild, it HAD to be that one). But New Leaf also had annoying issues such as random places where villagers could place their houses and how tedious public works projects are if you are one space off and need to demolish it. What I’m saying is that despite issues in both of those games, I still like playing them because of the positives it offers. The Welcome Amiibo update gave me more hours to play on it because you can play Puzzle League and Desert Island Escape on the in game 3ds and Wii U. For New Horizons, I liked the freedom we’re given to move buildings in order to reduce the number of times to reset. And the sound design is top notch too!

If you also stopped playing New Horizons because of being burnt out by it, that’s okay too. As I’ve said many times, no game is safe from being played for many hours at a time, especially during quarantine. I’m pretty sure back in the New Leaf days, some people we’re getting burnt out too from playing too long, so don’t feel guilty if you feel about this with New Horizons.

I also like touch on the regular updates thing. New Horizons isn’t the only game to do this. I’m pretty sure the game industry does this as well and personally, it has its good and bad. Mostly bad in my opinion. The good thing is that you can add more free content and fix any glitches that can negatively impact the game. The bad thing about it is that updating the game won’t actually go to the game disk/cartridge but to your system storage instead. It feels like the game cartridge is incomplete without it and feels a little redundant getting a physical copy. And speaking of incomplete, it gives me the impression that developers won’t bother to fully develop the game but instead rely on updates to slowly trickle them in. I miss the days where you bought the game and had everything in it to rely on nothing but your own skill to complete it.

Except right now after playing new leaf for the last 3 days I feel ripped off for paying a full cost $80 for new horizons. It’s not worth it IMO. Not as it is right now

Don't get me wrong, I love the control you have in the new game: picking where everyone lives, terraforming, trees, and paths. I also love the ability to design the outside with furniture. But with all that, it feels that is the main focus of the game. Yes, I love design games, but I feel that once I finish my island, that'll be it until I have the urge to redo the whole island (which, I'm sure will happen). There's really nothing keeping me invested other than collecting, I guess, because the villagers are so bland and many items that I adore aren't in the game.

I am going to miss many of the features and those sweet HD graphics, but I think it'll be fine. Not going to miss item durability.

I've reset my town, starting fresh today...later today, after 6.

The only bad thing I remember when it comes to me and NL is my need to buy everything new in the stores. It's kinda the same deal in NH, but not as intense(?) as I remember my spending being. Than again, I recently bought this scroll for 140,000 bells, so maybe it's just as bad. I think what I am really thinking about is the clothing is harder to buy, so I don't buy everything new available for the day as I tend to in NL.

I'm really torn between NL and NH! Both games were so good. Though, I think the better graphics in NH is what makes me love the game much more. I might go back and continue playing NL when I finish most of the things I want to do to my island in NH, though!

I did the exact same thing as you! After playing NH for a couple months when it came out, I got to a point where I'm satisfied with my town/out of ideas to work on it at the moment, and as I never got to play NL but heard so much about it on the forum, I decided to get a DS and try it.

It helped me understand some people's frustration, and I have to agree, diving and perfect fruit features, MINI GAMES!! and such were great ideas and it's a real shame they're not in NH, I'm really hoping they get introduced at some point

However I feel like I'm the only one liking NH dialogues better than NL ones...
I discovered AC with WW and I do like the villagers having more character and wit and even being straight up mean to you.
I don't feel like NL has that, it's been watered down, and I got repeat dialogue a lot in NL already, probably more than in NH where I have repeat personnalities...
I'll see in the long run but in NH I still discover new dialogue (not amazing dialogue, but new nevertheless) almost every day and I got 450H on that game!!! I find it pretty amazing.

In NL it happens quite a bit that I get repeat dialogue by talking to a villager twice in a row, which doesn't bother me THAT much in the day to day life but to me NH dialogue has definitely been improved.

I also would agree that as of right now NH main day to day activity (once you've got to the credits) is to decorate your town, while you can play games on NL which makes for better durability if you're not into terraforming/decorating...

I'm glad I went and try NL because I am enjoying it a LOT right now, and it does help understand people's point better when browsing the forum.
It also made me value more some NH features I took for granted (being able to move buildings, automatic stacking, etc)

I enjoy both games at the moment, I spend a little more time on NL as it is newer to me, but I still want to play NH.
However I would be even more disappointed now that I tried NL to not see the diving come back.

[EDIT: And as I'm typing this, I see that the diving feature has just been announced, yay!!!]

This thread is really interesting! I played New Leaf before New Horizons so it is interesting to hear about New Leaf and the various features we played out to death from a newcomers perspective. New Leaf is unquestionably a brilliant game. It will probably always be my personal favourite animal crossing game as it came out at the right time for me and I poured more hours into it than I ever did in Wild World and probably will in New Horizons. Nostalgia aside, it is a really well established game with endless stimulation that I have been motivated to play for years even up until this day! New Horizons is still a brilliant game but is just different imo. New Leaf has some features that trump New Horizons and vice-versa. Also I realise that this thread hasn't had a post in a while so I hope it is ok that I am replying to it! I happened to stumble across it when I was searching for a specific thread but found this title very interesting.

Back