• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Careful tweaking of villager Homes

ErUH_2xVcAAocqY

I think I've managed to do something pretty decent with Cally's normal starter house, too bad I can't get rid of that mirror. I might consider starting to tweak my other villager's house now that I'm done with this one. :)

Ooh, I love this aspect of NH! (I mainly use the datamined house wireframes, though they're not 100 percent accurate anymore thanks to 1.6)
I'll only showcase two former villagers from my main island, because if I included current villagers, this would be one very long post 😅

I occasionally have issues with tall, large objects in the immediate entrance of a villager's house.
Here's Peanut for example. When I upgraded her house I was faced with this:
2020070220360900-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

A shorter bed made the space much less constrictive! (bad angle, I know)
2020081112525600-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

She's since moved to my secondary island and she sleeps in a Frozen Bed there!
2020121019375200-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

I also managed to replace most of her starter wooden-block with pink Wooden furniture, but this is the only passable screenshot I have from before I switched out her house 😅
2020062920165600-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

And back when I had Skye, she lived in a starter house that was much closer to her real house (plus, the white looked good with the wallpaper(y))
(please ignore the three pitchers. oh, what a failure that was.)
2020052611240600-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

My current focus is Chow. I'm attempting to turn his 'bamboo and bamboo accessories' into something that looks more like a home. He has a lot of 'None' 1x1s to work with. 😓
His bamboo noodle slide can be switched out with arches, which is stupid fun to play with, haha!
(points at icon)

Oh I love how you were considering their hobby when you gave them things, especially since it added functionality. That is smart! The beds are really hard because I think some large furniture items have a certain marker that makes them irreplaceable. I think people who did data mining figured that out but like I said I find the guides a little hard to use so it’s still slightly mysterious to me, haha.

One of my failed experiments involved trying to change Chief’s house so that he had less garbage in it. I was able to get him a nice ironwood bed, and he used it very well in his layout but he still kept his ugly cardboard bed. I couldn’t get rid of that thing no matter how hard I tried. I also gave him one of those wood-burning stoves and he put it in a very strange location right by the front door. So a lot of the furniture I gave him got displayed, but it just stayed in weird positions and ultimately his house was worse than it was when it started. At least when I first got him his house had a cohesive theme. The theme was “garbage” but it was still a theme! :LOL:
Thanks for these tips regarding Chief's house, I was surprised when I saw it and I was thinking gosh I need to replace some of that while keeping with his theme!

Last edited:
I've recently been getting into the mechanics of villager house customizing. My best success so far is probably Twiggy's house.

Here's how her house starts:
EqyltedUcAAp20f-smaller.jpg

And here's how I managed to get it to look:
Es7ImeJVoAM7N--smaller.jpg

She randomly put away the dress she had hanging up, but I'm fine with that. I didn't think it looked good there anyway. I'm not sure why they opted to give her a different color for the rattan end table, but I'm kinda glad because it helps make the ironwood kitchenette fit in a little better. I'm still debating on if I want to keep tinkering with her house and risk screwing it up or call this good enough. I might want to replace her imperial partition with a mermaid screen and the log lounge chair with a poolside bed.

Meanwhile, Sylvia just moved in and her house is an odd mix between normal house and auto garage. I think it's gonna be my next project. I just need to decide whether I want to make it more house-like, more garage-like, or keep it balanced.

I couldn't be bothered.

Every house looks the same to me.
As does every screenshot, and every island.

There's only so much we can do we the couple of sofas we have. :(

Update: I've got Sylvia's house looking about as good as I can hope. She's constantly moving her surface items around, and most days she's bad at it, lol. Got a pic tonight where it looks better than usual.

Here was her starter home:
EszOELaVkAQfnOF.jpg

As you can see, it's a weird mix of normal house and auto-garage theme. I decided to make it more unique and go all in on the garage theme. I was able to change up a whole lot, and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

EuXkNLtU4AAqOHa.jpg

Like I said, she's constantly moving her stuff around. Half the time she has a bandana out in place of the toolbox or radio. I had to give her three mini fridges before she replaced the tall fridge, and unfortunately that means some days she actually displays all three... But this was a very fortunate visit, where she had everything looking good. I think my ideal set up would be her microwave on the mini fridge and the espresso maker on the island next to the cream & sugar (more ideal would be if there was just a simple coffee pot, but alas).

EDIT: Oh wow lol, the very next day she kept everything the same except put the toolbox back out. Hooray! Swapped out the pics (original pic I posted last night had a bandana displayed on the toolcart instead).

Attachments

• EuUeysMVIAAvhf6.jpg
    EuUeysMVIAAvhf6.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
This post is brilliant! I've always been scared to mess with my villagers' homes too much (after one too many bad experiences with how random they can be about what they display) but you guys have inspired me to attempt some designing!

I didn't know you could change a villager's house so much! I always thought if you gifted them something they'd just fit it somewhere but turns out you can even replace their items😯!
I'm definitely going to try this now, at least so my villagers start wearing the clothes I gifted them.

The photo comparisons shown in this thread are awesome! You guys have so much more patience than I haha. I'd like to customize my villagers' houses a bit more but I feel like I'd get too frustrated and give up haha.

Merry is my most recent villager and I really don't like her house. The outside is really pretty but the inside is very much not. The main things I dislike are the wall/floor(which of course I can't change) and the green table/chair does not go with the white sofa or anything else. I gifted her a natural wood table which she put in place of the green one right away. The first chair I gave her she put in the corner but the 2nd one she did replace the green chair with. those things are a big improvement. I realized later her diy bench is also green but I don't know if they will change that or not. I gave her one bench but she didn't replace it so I'm going to try giving her another one. I really wish I could redo her whole interior with the kiki and lala set cause I think it fits her. I have never tried to change a villagers furniture before this because I'm always worried what weird thing they might do. I figured giving her something large like that table there really wasn't anything else for her to replace with it but the table she had, but I was worried about the chair. There are any number of things that it could replace or she could put it in some empty spot(which she did the first time). I wouldn't try to change anything else in her house much as I want to(really wish i could replace the wall/floor).

Merry is my most recent villager and I really don't like her house. The outside is really pretty but the inside is very much not. The main things I dislike are the wall/floor(which of course I can't change) and the green table/chair does not go with the white sofa or anything else. I gifted her a natural wood table which she put in place of the green one right away. The first chair I gave her she put in the corner but the 2nd one she did replace the green chair with. those things are a big improvement. I realized later her diy bench is also green but I don't know if they will change that or not. I gave her one bench but she didn't replace it so I'm going to try giving her another one. I really wish I could redo her whole interior with the kiki and lala set cause I think it fits her. I have never tried to change a villagers furniture before this because I'm always worried what weird thing they might do. I figured giving her something large like that table there really wasn't anything else for her to replace with it but the table she had, but I was worried about the chair. There are any number of things that it could replace or she could put it in some empty spot(which she did the first time). I wouldn't try to change anything else in her house much as I want to(really wish i could replace the wall/floor).
Their DIY benches can't be changed, unfortunately.

But you can absolutely give her the K&L sofa and either the K&L cloud maker or K&L table if you want. Best way to make sure she puts them in the right spots would be to mail them both to her on the same day. The order you send them in matters, so you'd want to mail the sofa first and then the cloud maker or table second. That should cause her to put the cloud maker or table in the same corner where her DIY workbench comes out, and the sofa would replace her double sofa.

There's no risk of those things replacing anything else in her house, so it's a pretty safe change for you to make.

Their DIY benches can't be changed, unfortunately.

But you can absolutely give her the K&L sofa and either the K&L cloud maker or K&L table if you want. Best way to make sure she puts them in the right spots would be to mail them both to her on the same day. The order you send them in matters, so you'd want to mail the sofa first and then the cloud maker or table second. That should cause her to put the cloud maker or table in the same corner where her DIY workbench comes out, and the sofa would replace her double sofa.

There's no risk of those things replacing anything else in her house, so it's a pretty safe change for you to make.
thanks for the info. i would only put that stuff in her house if i could change the wall/floor. it will look awful otherwise

they look so cozy, and i love fang and kiki! i have fang in my town and while his house is quite nice, i agree that something is missing. i just recently swapped his bed out for a frozen one, so i don't think i'm helping in the "cozy" department haha

i try to add something special into every villager's home, but it's especially apparent in skye and filbert's houses. they're my first five, so they have the default homes. unfortunately, i don't have the original photos but yall know what the basic houses looked like. (and yes - i know what filbert's real house looks like and it does make me incredibly sad LMAOO but i love the fact that he was an original villager so i won't be swapping him
; ^;;;;;;;;; ) genji is also my first villager but his house is an absolute travesty and i just gave up giving him expensive furniture for him to not use any of it X__x

View attachment 349227 View attachment 349228
View attachment 349229 View attachment 349230
View attachment 349231 View attachment 349232
Post automatically merged:

I ALSO tried to change chief's house!! but he NEVER changed anything the way i wanted him to X__x i managed to get him a nice sofa and a fridge at one point, but now he's gotten rid of those. i also tried to upgrade his bag of garbage into an actual, nice trash can (if he's set on having garbage then fine, but at least make it look nicer) but he KEPT BOTH OF THEM. perhaps i'll come back to him later but i agree with you - everything i tried made his house look worse lmaoooo chief, why. please.
I'm really hoping someone can clarify this for me!

Were you able to give customised furniture to your villagers because you got other people's designs from Ables? Has anyone had success using their own designs, by displaying and then getting them from Ables?

I just want to gift my villagers furniture with my own designs!

I'm really hoping someone can clarify this for me!

Were you able to give customised furniture to your villagers because you got other people's designs from Ables? Has anyone had success using their own designs, by displaying and then getting them from Ables?

I just want to gift my villagers furniture with my own designs!

I may be confused, but if you mean furniture for sure and not clothing you made, you need to customize the furniture yourself with whatever design you want, and the item has to fit into their likes and dislikes as well as size parameters for their home. Then they will display it in their house with the customized patterns on them.

I had Peanut on my island for a while and her furniture type was cute.

She had a radio sitting on a peach box. I sought to change that and bought her a cute table to put the radio on.

Never happened.

Back