Crown Trophy
The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 Patch
Cake
Cake
Cake
Chocolate Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
This is more of a general question, but what kind of playstyle suits you best? Do you like to sit back and play casually, mainly beating the main story and post game, or do you like to catch/breed for competitive?

I've personally found myself leaning toward competitive over the past few years. My local convention has battling there and I always participate even though I never win. Each year I find myself learning more and more. Granted, the games have been getting easier...

But what about you guys?

I'm casual. In my opinion, the competitive battlers are even worse than those in Splatoon, and I constantly voice how much I dislike Splatoon 2's more competitive side. Though I do enjoy watching online battles, especially people like PIMPNITE who do gimmick teams.

I'm more of a casual player. Though I do pay attention to type strengths/weaknesses and stats, I would never put it in the time to get a Pokemon with perfect IVs, specific nature, etc.

Besides I'm not a fan of battling others. Honestly my favorite part about Pokemon is petting and feeding them lol

I used to play competitively during Gen 6. These days I still enjoy the games, but I play them a lot more casually. I don't do much online battling anymore, and when I do it's usually just with my story team from Ultra Sun. I might start playing competitively again someday, but my free time is mostly occupied by other games at the moment, so I would have to play more casually in one of them to keep up with the Pok?mon meta.

I'm a bit of a hybrid of the two, I suppose. I like to breed Pok?mon that are competitively viable, complete with 5-6 perfect IVs, EV training, and egg moves. That said, I generally play very casually and the things that I breed are mostly just for in-game use or for the occasional random battle with a friend. That said, I entered my first official online competition last month to earn a shiny Mimikyu, and intend to compete again in the upcoming competition in the next few days to earn a shiny Tapu Lele.

While I do breed and train things that can work in competitive, I don't stick strictly to the recommended sets and like to just do my own thing. Kind of a bad trait all things considered since the sets are recommended for a reason, but I enjoy my way well enough.

I've been interested in EV training since Generation 4 when I learned about it and have EV trained things since then. After that, I got into limited IV breeding in Generation 5 before Generation 6 introduced the ability to pass down IVs if a parent holds the Destiny Knot and I have been utilizing that for every Pok?mon I've used on a team ever since. I couldn't go without doing so because doing any less would feel suboptimal and hinder my enjoyment; I don't use wild caught Pok?mon or the starter Pok?mon unless it's an initial playthrough of a new generation and there isn't a choice in the matter yet. I greatly prefer having the knowledge that my Pok?mon can stand their own against competent players if I choose to compete.

Last edited:
I'm very casual, not competitive at all lol. :rolleyes:

I’m competitive, but I’m a bit afraid to even try it. Because I remember trying it out for the first time in 2012 and I got kicked in the butt almost all the time.

I might be a bit more experienced than I was before, yet I’m still afraid to try....

I wanna say a bit of both.
I'm taking it easy in the game (playing moon) and haven't gotten to the ultra beasts yet cause I just wanna focus on getting certain items, money etc and don't wanna rush anything.
Although I have been interested in being competitive by breeding for certain egg moves that I find interesting to use. And trying to get abilities that I find would be useful for the moves. Though I haven't trained the pokemon nor done any battles since I still feel a bit unsure about doing so but I def will in the future~

The most fun I get out of the games is ?catching them all?/collecting event pokemon and shiny hunting. I also enjoy doing multiple playthroughs of the stories with EV trained/bred teams but I don?t care for the competitive scene. So I don?t know which category I fall under lol

I?m definitely a casual player. I?ve tried dabbling in competitive before and didn?t really care for it. Plus, there are other ways to challenge yourself in these games without entering the competitive scene. :)

Casual always. I don't like trying for 100% unless I know it's an easy game and/or the achievements or such is reachable and you can get them within the story without too much trouble. I have to say some people are waaaaay too much into competitive gaming or just getting rares which ngl is a bit annoying bc it's lit all they talk about. And yeah I don't feel much in common with that scene anyway.

I mean I might be a bad loser on like racing games but doesn't mean I wanna a $500 rare in TF2 or win som esports tournament.

And yeah I basically play to relax even if I might want all the pokemons for example, but that's because I collect stuff in games and hoard lol

Last edited:
I'm a mix. I like to make competitive teams of my favorite Pokemon. Most of them, however, don't fall into the high tiers by Smogon standards. It just depends on my mood when I'm playing, really. I definitely wouldn't last on the actual competitive scene, though.

I'm a mix. I like to make competitive teams of my favorite Pokemon. Most of them, however, don't fall into the high tiers by Smogon standards. It just depends on my mood when I'm playing, really. I definitely wouldn't last on the actual competitive scene, though.

Smogon can burn :^) Yeah I don't like battling on high levels in those games much other than it is and I never cared about Battle tree or its equivalents.

Smogon can burn :^) Yeah I don't like battling on high levels in those games much other than it is and I never cared about Battle tree or its equivalents.

I like it for the move-sets/seeing what stats are recommended, but the community is pretty blegh.

I?m competitive, but I?m a bit afraid to even try it. Because I remember trying it out for the first time in 2012 and I got kicked in the butt almost all the time.

I might be a bit more experienced than I was before, yet I?m still afraid to try....

I'd say just try it! I spend at least 3 dollars a year entering a tournament at my local convention and I haven't won ONCE, but darn is it fun to play either way. I learn all by myself and rarely look up any kind of help.

Back