Do you prefer games where you can customize the main character?

Do you prefer games with character customization of the main character?

• Yes.

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indifferent.

Votes: 21 41.2%

• Total voters
For me, I think it depends on the type of game. If it's a game like Dreamlight Valley, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, or such, then I prefer being able to fully customize my character. But if it's something like a Mario game then I think it would be kind of odd to not play as Mario or another character from the series. However, in that case, I do still like being able to at least change outfits and stuff, like in Odyssey.

For games like Pokémon and Animal Crossing, yes. And customization should not be as limited as how Scarlet/Violet did it.

But most games are better without customization since they are of different genres. A Hat in Time is the only exception since they offered it (and had a new character).

It’s not the most important thing in the world, but I do like having customisation options, even if it’s just like being able to play as Toad in a Mario game. It is very important to me in animal crossing though

I could spend hours just in the character customisation but I don’t think that necessarily makes me enjoy the game anymore. For example: dragons dogma, the character customisation was amazing but the game just isn’t for me.

However, as a female who grew up playing Pokemon games I was overjoyed when they finally introduced a playable female character !! As long as they have that option I’m fine haha

it's never a massive deciding factor in getting a game for me, but i do appreciate the ability to customise even a little bit, even if it's just different outfit options. it does add a little bit more fun

I play a bit of everything but I loveeee any kind of character creator in videogames, is so fun to make different characters and gives me reason to play more playthroughs 🤩

Omg YES!!!! Getting to customize makes it so much better for me!!!! I def prefer games where we can customize!!!!!

I wouldn't say that I prefer games where you can customize your character. Games with character customization and games without both have their place, and I like them both. However, character customization can sometimes come at the cost of other qualities I find important.

For example, one of my favorite franchises is Fire Emblem. Since Fire Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow (a Japanese exclusive game, a remake of Fire Emblem 3 which is the second part of Marth's saga) and Fire Emblem Awakening, which were released back in 2010 and 2012 respectively, most of the games released since then have had avatar characters which you can usually customize to an extent. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia was an exception since it was a remake of Fire Emblem Gaiden, the second installment in the series and which had pre-existing characters in the lead roles. Also Byleth and Shez from Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Fire Emblem: Three Hopes are set in their designs, aside from Byleth being able to change to different costumes, but they are still avatar characters. Prior to this, the games had designated characters called Lords who were the main characters of their games, like Marth, Ike, Eliwood/Hector/Lyn, Roy, etc. Avatar characters seem fine conceptually, but in practice a lot of the time these characters in modern games are just lauded with praise from other characters since it's the player's character and I guess you need to be told how awesome you are for playing this video game or whatever. I lay all this groundwork to get to my point that, in this instance for example, the solid storytelling and tone of the older games have somewhat gone to the wayside in favor of giving players a character that they can self-insert if they want so they can romance other characters. I recognize that this is a popular aspect and helped draw new people in over the past decade to keep the franchise alive, and I don't begrudge people for their tastes, but I feel like the series has lost some of the identity it used to have and a good portion of what got me interested in the first place. I'd say this can sometimes be a source of tension between some older fans and some newer fans, though there are also plenty of people from both camps that can also just enjoy both styles when they try them.

So, with that in mind, I think it's important for developers to really consider what it means to implement character customization in a preexisting franchise that didn't have it from the start and what impacts it might have.

I'd say, as someone who puts importance on games with stories actually having good stories, if I had to say I prefer one or the other, I prefer games that have predefined characters that the writers give personality, drive, ambition, meaning, etc. That's not to say that it's an all-or-nothing thing, there are probably games with character customization that still have good implementation, but yeah.

Now, if we're talking a game or series that always had character customization, or that implemented it and does it well, then hell yeah, customization is awesome. I love customizing characters and can sometimes take hours in a character creator. I like changing my characters' clothes, hairstyles, etc.

Character customization is fun. It is not, however, necessary for me and in some instances I'd rather it not be an option.

Tangentially related, I wish there were more games where you find equippable items that actually change your appearance. For example, in Shin Megami Tensei IV, you can change up your clothes, hairstyle, etc. and it actually changes Flynn's appearance, but in other RPGs, equippable items are just something that affects stats but doesn't cause any visual change. I know that would require more budget, time, etc., but it's just something nice to see when it's present.

yes i love character customization! it’s not a requirement in getting me to play a game but it would definitely persuade me more if it’s an option (and the customizations are cute). it’s one of the first things i ask about whenever someone recommends a game to me

It's great when it's there! But it's not needed. I wish though that if there was customization there were already a few presets you can pick to help you start customizing. I remember trying to create characters for Divinity Original Sin 2 would take me forever and I wouldn't want to start playing by the time I was done. I also get lazy when creating new Sims

It's not a requirement for me to love a game, and it can depend on how much range it has, but I do really like character customisation!

As an extreme example, it almost the only reason I play The Sims 4 - I've put well over 600 hours into that game over the years, and spent the vast majority of them just making characters in create-a-sim. It's essentially a glorified dress-up doll to me lmao

YES!!! I love character customization, I miss stuff like maplestory 2 a lot because the characters and clothes were so cute. When genshin came out I was really sad that there wasn't character customization but I feel like if there was, and easily obtainable clothes I would have stuck around for it longer

I find that customizability with your character is always a huge plus! if the option is there from the get go upon starting the game, I tend to spend way too long on designing my character

Personally it makes no difference to me. I enjoy games where you can customise your character, and also ones where you play as a pre-set character. I will say, I'd say actually I would prefer pre-set characters as it usually lends itself to more interesting character development and voice acting. Customisable characters most of the time are blank slates and don't usually have dedicated voice acting (as a generalisation).

Yes I greatly prefer when you have the option to customize yourself.

Customising the characteristics usually a win win for me.
You can have a great story line or characters, but if I can easily customise you got me hooked

Back