• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Does New Leaf capture the charm of the original game?

colinx

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Cake
Simple question. Do you guys think New Leaf captures the charm of the original Animal Crossing?
In my opinion, the original one just had so much charm to the game. I think New Leaf has done a better job then its predecessors at capturing charm, however I still kinda feel like it's missing something. I wish we could have more neighbors and I miss when the villagers used to do human-like things like aerobics which kind of made them feel like real personalities. Any other opinions? :lemon:

Im all up for offering insight. But I dont think I can accurately say until I play the game. :(

I also can't say anything until I play it for myself, but I think it will become a fast favorite. GC will always be amazing.

I play it, and I like it a lot. There are a few things I wish it had or things I wish were better, but it's a good game. I played Wild World non stop for a few Years and I got to say, I wish I was still a Teen or a kid so I could spend my life playing New Leaf

I can't wait for the English version so I can talk with the villagers.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, on top of playing ACWW for many years I feel this game is the Major improvement I've always been hoping for.

The original has its own feel to it, i can't put my finger on what exactly that "feel" is but sort of like a cozy forest or whatever, i haven't seen/felt that feel with any other Animal Crossing game. All the others have a different feel to them. For example Wild World has this relaxing town/village feel to it. This is just how i feel about the franchise but I'm sure it differs greatly for other people.

What I think I'm trying to say is that each game has it own charm to it.

I hope it doesn't have the same feeling to it. I loved the gamecube version, but I want New Leaf to stand on its own as a game. I want New Leaf to create a new feeling on its own without riding on the coattails of nostalgia. From what I've seen, it's done just that.

Other than the actual gameplay, I think the stage of life I'm in plays a huge part in it.
The Gamecube AC completely captured my childhood, starting at age 10. When I think of it/play it, it takes me back to the simple days. The charm that game had was more homey, cozy, warm, etc. like my childhood. Lots of nostalgia!

And now in my early 20's, I'm excited for New Leaf to capture this stage of my life.
The charm in this game seems more "fresh" and "new", which is basically where I'm at right now. It just works!

I haven't played the game yet to know that sort of thing for certain, but I know that my anticipation for the game is just as powerful this time around as it was back in the days of population growing. I didn't get as excited for Wild world like this, and I didn't even care at all when City Folk came out. In fact, I've never been excited for a game like I was for Population Growing and like I am for New leaf now! :)

Other than the actual gameplay, I think the stage of life I'm in plays a huge part in it.
The Gamecube AC completely captured my childhood, starting at age 10. When I think of it/play it, it takes me back to the simple days. The charm that game had was more homey, cozy, warm, etc. like my childhood. Lots of nostalgia!

And now in my early 20's, I'm excited for New Leaf to capture this stage of my life.
The charm in this game seems more "fresh" and "new", which is basically where I'm at right now. It just works!

This is PERFECT

I my self am in the same sort of situation. Great wording! I think this fits a lot of people.

I think one of the greatest parts of Animal Crossing were its soundtrack. Every background song was memorable for me. I was going to listen to New Leaf's soundtrack, but I went ahead and stopped myself and figured I'd wait for the game.

I completely agree with this logic, having grown up in a very similar way!
My best friend and I adored the GameCube version when it came out and would play it all the time.
However, after a while we sort of drifted out of sync with the other versions when I started to fall way behind...
I'm hoping to get that nostalgia feeling back from the GameCube days when New Leaf comes out so we can reconnect with our memories at the same time again. I'm so excited for that!

From what I've seen, I think it's better than the original. The animals do so much more "human activities" in New Leaf than the little Aerobic and Sports events in GC. They shake trees, go fishing, physically seen planting and watering flowers, and so much more.

Also, the customization is so great in this version that it really goes over the top of all its predecessors.

Never played the GC version so idno; Hard to tell - I guess each has its pros and cons

I've played the GameCube version quite a bit. In fact, I still have it. However, I think Wild World was the best before NL because it felt like having a miniature town in your pocket. Or maybe it's because it was the first game I played. I just never got that AC feel with the console games, mainly because it was so inconvenient to play them.

The original game seemed more magical. Logically, a lot of that has to do with the age I (and many others) was when I first played it and got hooked which was 13 or 14 I believe. Seemed more like an actual secluded forest with a quaint village in it and a train line running through it.

From what I've felt from playing New Leaf, it does capture the same feel, but in a different way. Seems more like a coastal forest village with more of a vacation vibe to the atmosphere, which is fine. Obviously, villager interaction is going to be a major factor for a lot of people who loved the original's type of interaction. It seems they've improved it leaps and bound over both WW and definitely CF, even adding little things such as them reacting to your emotes, shaking trees, visiting shops and buying things, etc.

Nintendo has done a good job of bringing back certain elements from the original to bring up the right amount of nostalgia for us old school Animal Crossing veterans as well. I think we'll all be very pleased with the game once we get it (and can understand it fully).

Each game has their own unique feel to them.

Yeah, with the exception of WW and CF. I loved the feel of GC and I liked how they had diagonal buildings and how it didn't really show the sky. And CF was amazing too. The city was pretty boring but it still had a bunch of things to do and discover.

Exactly this. I couldn't have said it better.

Back