• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Ejecting cartidge by accident >:(

Anampses

No Time Travelin for me!
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Small Mailbox
In the short time that I have owned my 3DSXL and a physical copy of ACNL, I have accidentally ejected the cartidge on three different occasions, usually whenever I sometimes grab it "incorrectly" out of a pocket. Does this happen to anyone else? It really upsets me because I have lost so much progress, bells, blood, & tears :(

I've never had that happen and it sounds scary! Even though I've never had that happen, I'm going to be so paranoid about it.

Put the console in your pocket with the game facing away from your fingers? That's the only solution I can think of :< when I reach for my consoles I just grab them by the edges on the side just for that reason

Put the console in your pocket with the game facing away from your fingers? That's the only solution I can think of :< when I reach for my consoles I just grab them by the edges on the side just for that reason

With how big and unwieldy the 3DSXL is in size, I naturally try to grab it by center mass so that I don't accidentally let it fall out of my hands onto the ground from grabbing it by just the edges or corners of my 3DSXL. I hear you though, I really should just be more careful and mindful of the cartridge when grabbing it.

I always save and continue if I have to put in my pocket or such.

With how big and unwieldy the 3DSXL is in size, I naturally try to grab it by center mass so that I don't accidentally let it fall out of my hands onto the ground from grabbing it by just the edges or corners of my 3DSXL. I hear you though, I really should just be more careful and mindful of the cartridge when grabbing it.

I have the hands of like a 7 year old. Small as can be, I meant grab it from the angle in between the outer camera lens lol not by the actual corners of the system xD I own 3DS XL's myself, so I know how big they are

I usually save and continue. It has happened to me a couple times at first when I first got my 3dsxl. My game can roughly come out of the slot without pushing the cartridge down. I've gotten much better with how I handle it.

I've never had that happen. I take my 3DS to school all the time, too. This is going to make me paranoid now...

I have the hands of like a 7 year old. Small as can be, I meant grab it from the angle in between the outer camera lens lol not by the actual corners of the system xD I own 3DS XL's myself, so I know how big they are

Hmm.. my hands have really long slender fingers and a large span.
I think because of this when I grab the 3DSXL, I have the tendency to wrap my Edward scissor-hands over the whole entire device.

I think saving & continuing/quitting is the best bet to be on the safe side as others mentioned :eek:

Only once, when it fell off of my seat, which is actually why I met Resetti.

Last edited:
I have a normal 3DS and for a while I had an issue of my cartridge ejecting itself somehow in my purse. I'm thinking that perhaps the 3DS/XL is just really sensitive when it comes to that kind of stuff.

My sister had a similar problem, except her cartridge kept popping out in her purse, but our solution may help.

I made my sister get a soft case for her 3ds (one of those zipper closing squishy cases) so that her 3ds was protected the entire time, even one of those pull tie pouches may help. Maybe you can even get a clear or custom cases to put your 3ds in for that slight increase of size to stop your fingers!

Personally, I carry my 3ds in my chest pocket on my outer shirt. XD Though, I have a Monster Hunter Case and the extended battery giving my 3ds the extra girth in needs to make it easy to take in and out of my pants pocket.

Do XL's have the little charm loop on them? Try attaching a strap or charm to it, and instead of grabbing the 3DS itself pull it out with the charms. This is what I usually do, although I have just a normal 3DS so there's less weight to pull if it makes a difference.

Great idea Kurisu1701!
I'll look for a case tomorrow that gives my 3DSXL an extra protective lip of covering over the slot.
Hopefully this will prevent my long skinny fingers from ever touching the cartridge :D

Edit: The XL is able to have charms attached now that I look closer at it. That actually might be a better idea since this way it doesn't add to the size of it.

Last edited:
#DigitalCopyCrew

Have fun with your cartridges popping out.

fThifA1.gif

I usually carry my 3ds in my back pocket so its always turned sideways o_o So i've never actually had any problem with my fingers coming near the cartridge, but man that would suck so bad ;_;

I have a pretty thick plastic protective case on my 3DS, not sure it would help with the fingers wrapping thing since it doesn't really cover it at all, but the charm Idea is a pretty nice one, I pull mine out by the charm sometimes as well.

Also, when its in my bag a lot of the times I'll either slip it into the pocket that they have next to the pencil holder parts, but I guess the XL would be too wide for that even turned the narrow ways :/ hmm.. I guess just kind of feel the edge of it first to see which way its turned and make sure you grab the sides instead of the middle?

- - - Post Merge - - -

#DigitalCopyCrew

Have fun with your cartridges popping out.

fThifA1.gif

Have fun with your 30% higher chance of random save data corruption :D

Acting smug over which version of the game you own? Come on, people...

Anyway, do you guys have cases for your 3DS? I'm lazy about using mine sometimes, but a well-fitting case may be one solution to (hopefully) keep those carts from popping out.

Can you please source your statistics?

Tired and I cant find the article, but personally almost everyone I know who's game has been corrupted in some way has had the downloaded version, I think only three that I know of had a cartridge problem. Plus, there are plenty of other reasons for having a physical copy is so much better.

To name a few:

If your 3DS gets damaged beyond repair you will lose your game. They also reserve the right to disable the ability to download again at any time.

If your old 3DS is broken/lost/stolen you have to purchase another copy of all your games. All of the digital content is tied to the console itself (even though it shows up on your Nintendo account). You can opt to send in a broken 3DS for repair and regain your data that way. The charge is somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 USD for this service (unless you're under warranty).

Saving the game to an SD card does not make the game transferable. You can only transfer the game using the 3DS to 3DS transfer. Again, the game is registered to the console and not to the storage device.

Nintendo will not replace lost or stolen content. If you own a 3DS with hundreds of dollars worth of digital content and it is lost or stolen, you're out of luck.

Also keep in mind that in the future you may want to play NL. If you have a digital copy and it's no longer available to download you're out your money.

So yeah, I'll keep my physical copy, thanks.

EDIT: On another note, I was thinking earlier today when switching cases how nice it would be it the DS had a cover for the cartridge like the do for the SD slot. I mean.. they're pretty much just big SD cards with a game on them anyway, and the spring and lock mechanism in them is super easy to get pushed accidentally. I'm surprised they didn't think of that a long time ago with the system. I guess they figure the only time you put your DS in your pocket its either off or in sleep mode, but sometimes I just tuck it away quick to get on the bus or something.

Seems like common sense really....

Last edited:
Back