• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Game of the Year

Bulerias said:
Well, Fabio, there's no "right or wrong" when it comes to media-chosen GoTY. For me, the Game of the Year will be Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, and I know that only a SELECT FEW are going to be agreeing with me. Does that change my opinion? Not at all.
Oh, he didn't?

I love Bioshock, though I would like to say that it isn't a reason to get a 360, it is a reason to either get a 360 or have a good PC like I have! I think Bioshock is at least in the top 5 games of the year, more likely the top 3.

I would like to think that Orange box would get up for nomination but it is kinda 5 games in one and one already got its awards! Half Life 2 does rock. Portal was awesome though a little short. Team fortress 2 is a great multi player though fairly simplistic in design.

Anyway Halo 3 if like the other 2 Halo's will be on the PC some time, I honestly am not in a rush. Halo has just never really done it for me. I don't know.

I really can't say anything for mass effect tough. Don't know anything about it really....

Super Mario galaxy does look great. It could get in there.

Metroid Prime Corruption while a great game and definitely up in the top ten, I don't think it has a shot at best.

Fire Emblem is a great game if you like strategy but it has never really been all that ground breaking lately. Nothing really extraordinary coming from it. An example of extraordinary would be the water effects in Bioshock, or the extremely cool portal gun of Portal allowing all sorts of impossible physics to happen.

All in all there are many great games out just this fall really. There was some kind of shortage of good games over well, most the year. I say we take a character from each game and have them face off. May be in a Super Smash style. there could be a big Daddy, and Master Chief, and Samus, and Mario, and Gordan Freeman with a crowbar, and um someone from the new fire Emblem ... and so on.... I think Big Daddy would win. It took some extreme genetic mutant guy to take him down in the game(your character FYI), and look at his armor!

Fabio said:
Bulerias said:
Well, Fabio, there's no "right or wrong" when it comes to media-chosen GoTY. For me, the Game of the Year will be Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, and I know that only a SELECT FEW are going to be agreeing with me. Does that change my opinion? Not at all.
Oh, he didn't?
...I didn't. I said for me, not for the media.

...Though technically I am part of the media... whatEVER. >_>

Sporge27 said:
Fire Emblem is a great game if you like strategy but it has never really been all that ground breaking lately. Nothing really extraordinary coming from it. An example of extraordinary would be the water effects in Bioshock, or the extremely cool portal gun of Portal allowing all sorts of impossible physics to happen.
Nothing extraordinary? The Fire Emblem series hosts some of the best stories in any videogames, EVER. That alone is extraordinary, the fact that Intelligent Systems spouts out a great new story every game... with 10 installments, that's no small feat.

Bulerias said:
Sporge27 said:
Nothing extraordinary? The Fire Emblem series hosts some of the best stories in any videogames, EVER. That alone is extraordinary, the fact that Intelligent Systems spouts out a great new story every game... with 10 installments, that's no small feat.
Well yes but the gameplay has been the same for a rather long time. the stories are nice but never been able to pull me into the story that much. While a game like portal though short, has a real uniqueness to its story. Who can't fall in love with the slightly homicidal cake loving computer?

having the best stories is really dependent on the genres you like. I have always been a more Sci Fi guy so of course the slightly homicidal computer would catch my interest more than a band of knights and whatnot who are trying to save a kingdom in distress or whatever the kinda medieval story dictates.

Now not to say that story isn't a consideration but it is only a part and there are a lot of games that require more work and innovation to make work right.

WAIT. HOW THE *CEN-3.0-SORD* DID YOU GET *CEN-3.0-SORD*ING MASS-*CEN-3.0-SORD*ING-EFFECT?

Oh, also MGS4 will be the best game ever made. There is no doubt it my mind.

Sporge27 said:
Bulerias said:
Sporge27 said:
Well yes but the gameplay has been the same for a rather long time.
Nothing is changed, but therefore nothing was messed with either. A unit will level up, gain abilities, hold items, and use weapons and equipment like a true RPG, rather than being expendable like in the Wars world. This is a great game in my perspective. I am one of those select few that agree with Bulerias. I also think that FE:RD is a title worthy of GOTY. Yes many, many, many people will disagree with me but hey, It's my opinion.

only_half_evil333 said:
Sporge27 said:
Bulerias said:
Sporge27 said:
Nothing is changed, but therefore nothing was messed with either. A unit will level up, gain abilities, hold items, and use weapons and equipment like a true RPG, rather than being expendable like in the Wars world. This is a great game in my perspective. I am one of those select few that agree with Bulerias. I also think that FE:RD is a title worthy of GOTY. Yes many, many, many people will disagree with me but hey, It's my opinion.
You said it better than I could.

:)

FE's stories are... wow... SO UNBELIEVABLY ENGROSSING. I mean, I absolutely adore the fantasy stuff like Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Prydain, all that stuff, and in Fire Emblem it just beats out all of that. Amazing, amazing stories. Great plot twists, always keeping me on the edge of my seat.

And the gameplay, yeah; it's not broken, don't fix it. Each game they add a new quirk, like in RD, they've added terrain bonuses, so if you're on higher ground and an archer, your precision will be greater than, say, a lance knight on lower turf. It's hardcore fans that can appreciate the subtleties.

Bulerias said:
only_half_evil333 said:
Sporge27 said:
Bulerias said:
Sporge27 said:

FE's stories are... wow... SO UNBELIEVABLY ENGROSSING. I mean, I absolutely adore the fantasy stuff like Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Prydain, all that stuff, and in Fire Emblem it just beats out all of that. Amazing, amazing stories. Great plot twists, always keeping me on the edge of my seat.

And the gameplay, yeah; it's not broken, don't fix it. Each game they add a new quirk, like in RD, they've added terrain bonuses, so if you're on higher ground and an archer, your precision will be greater than, say, a lance knight on lower turf. It's hardcore fans that can appreciate the subtleties.
Thanks

:D

But if you think about you may not change a game for the better, take Sonic for example. Sega completely ruined the entire Sonic Franchise for years to come with Sonic adventure 2:Battle and when they gave Shadow his own game. It completely sucked in my opinion. But if you take an already good like FE and change the little things you basically have an even better game.

only_half_evil333 said:
Bulerias said:
only_half_evil333 said:
Sporge27 said:
Bulerias said:
Sporge27 said:

And the gameplay, yeah; it's not broken, don't fix it. Each game they add a new quirk, like in RD, they've added terrain bonuses, so if you're on higher ground and an archer, your precision will be greater than, say, a lance knight on lower turf. It's fans that can appreciate the subtleties.
Thanks

But if you think about you may not change a game for the better, take Sonic for example. Sega completely ruined the entire Sonic Franchise for years to come with Sonic adventure 2:Battle and when they gave Shadow his own game. It completely sucked in my opinion. But if you take an already good like FE and change the little things you basically have an even better game.
Yes I do agree, however that's also can be treated the other way. Metroid went from 2D to a First Person Shooter, and that was a pretty good move by Retro there.

only_half_evil333 said:
Actually, SA2B was a GREAT game, the new characters were a bit "meh", but still a good game. SEGA REALLY screwed up when they released Sonic Heroes, then came forth Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Riders, Sonic Next-Gen (which could have been WAY better imo).

OddCrazyMe said:
only_half_evil333 said:
Bulerias said:
only_half_evil333 said:
Sporge27 said:
Bulerias said:
Sporge27 said:

And the gameplay, yeah; it's not broken, don't fix it. Each game they add a new quirk, like in RD, they've added terrain bonuses, so if you're on higher ground and an archer, your precision will be greater than, say, a lance knight on lower turf. It's fans that can appreciate the subtleties.
Thanks

Yes I do agree, however that's also can be treated the other way. Metroid went from 2D to a First Person Shooter, and that was a pretty good move by Retro there.
The only fun I had on SA2B was playing with the chaos. I guess it does depend on the game. But to me more than half the time the originals are bet than the sequels or prequels.

only_half_evil333 said:
OddCrazyMe said:
only_half_evil333 said:
Bulerias said:
only_half_evil333 said:
Sporge27 said:
Bulerias said:
Sporge27 said:

Thanks

The only fun I had on SA2B was playing with the chaos. I guess it does depend on the game. But to me more than half the time the originals are bet than the sequels or prequels.
Chao, you mean. <_<

Have you played the multiplayer? Much fun.

UltraByte said:
only_half_evil333 said:
OddCrazyMe said:
only_half_evil333 said:
Bulerias said:
only_half_evil333 said:
Sporge27 said:
Bulerias said:
Sporge27 said:

Thanks

Chao, you mean. <_<

Have you played the multiplayer? Much fun.
Oh whoops sorry chao.. gosh I'm having a bad spelling day. <_<

Multiplayer didn't do too much for me.

Bulerias said:
Here are, in my opinion, the real GoTY nominees.

Bioshock
Super Mario Galaxy
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Nobody's going to agree with me on the last one, but to hell with that. BioShock is self-explanatory, I think you said it better than I could... it's not even close to a generic FPS. The story reminds me of... 1984, sort of. The dystopian universe is really unique...

Super Mario Galaxy might just be the funnest game ever. EVERYONE who has played it is billing it the Game of the Year. Everyone who's played it had a smile on their face, a huge stupid grin stretched to their ears while playing it...

Fire Emblem is my favorite game series, PERIOD, and I think Radiant Dawn is going to be the best of them all.
I agree but I don't think FE has enough fan base to warrant a GotY nominee.

Koehler said:
Bulerias said:
Here are, in my opinion, the real GoTY nominees.

Bioshock
Super Mario Galaxy
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Nobody's going to agree with me on the last one, but to hell with that. BioShock is self-explanatory, I think you said it better than I could... it's not even close to a generic FPS. The story reminds me of... 1984, sort of. The dystopian universe is really unique...

Super Mario Galaxy might just be the funnest game ever. EVERYONE who has played it is billing it the Game of the Year. Everyone who's played it had a smile on their face, a huge stupid grin stretched to their ears while playing it...

Fire Emblem is my favorite game series, PERIOD, and I think Radiant Dawn is going to be the best of them all.
I agree but I don't think FE has enough fan base to warrant a GotY nominee.
Exactly, which is why it won't win in most of the media's eyes. It'll win in MY eyes, though, in my personal GoTY awards.

Bulerias, you said BioShock reminded of the eighties...

Rapture was apparently built somewhere in the 40s-50s, and you crash land in the Pacific and find the Bathysphere somewhere in the 60s. So the atmosphere is completely that old, 50s stuff. It makes it so eerie listening to one of the Splicers sing an old song to their completely dead, cold baby.

Fabio said:
Bulerias, you said BioShock reminded of the eighties...

Rapture was apparently built somewhere in the 40s-50s, and you crash land in the Pacific and find the Bathysphere somewhere in the 60s. So the atmosphere is completely that old, 50s stuff. It makes it so eerie listening to one of the Splicers sing an old song to their completely dead, cold baby.
Errrr... no, I never said that. I said it reminded me of a book called 1984.

:p

Back