Games you were excited for that disappointed you?

In no particular order:
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. Specifically for the Zombies mode. Now, don't get me wrong; there are some absolutely amazing maps on the game... but they're DLC. The base map and first dlc map are pretty garbage, and left a bad taste in my mouth.

Paper Mario: I know I might get some flack for this one, but hear me out. I didn't think most of the partners were all that interesting, and I did like the game. It just didn't wow me like it wowed many others.

Ocotopath Traveler: It's a game that should be everything I love and more about an RPG on paper. @Neb described it best. For a supposed story driven story, a lot of the character stories were just... not that interesting.

Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town: I wanted to give it a fair shot because I wanted to play more farming games than Stardew, but my god was the game so boring. Nothing remotely of interest happened and I regret my purchase immensely.

Splatoon (series): I've never been able to have fun in Splatoon. Maybe it's because I'm trash at the game, maybe it's because of how sweaty the games I played were, I was just not able to enjoy myself, even if I completely understand why people adore it.

Perhaps an unpopular opinion but Super Mario Wonder. I dont know what I was expecting but it didn’t live up to it. The levels kind of feel too short and quick?
Also, Yoshi’s Crafted World. The soundtrack was so repetitive and I finished it so quickly. I got it because I really enjoyed Yoshi’s Woolly World but it’s not at that standard. Still enjoyed it though, just not as much as Woolly World.

Pokemon Sword and Shield. It's the worst Pokemon game ever released. Horrible story, dynamax was a dumb looking version of megas, ridiculously easy even when I made sure not to overlevel (though that's a 3D Pokemon problem in general aside from USUM), boring area designs outside of the fairy gym area, a few good Pokemon designs and the rest are mid or forgettable, the overuse of crowd chanting and guitars in the gym/champ themes I (unpopular opinion) disliked and found grating, the box legendaries have super cluttered designs, the starters pale in the shadow of the fantastic gen 7 trio, they shoved Leon in our faces so hard and tried to make him out to be the best champion but he lacks a good design style and the subtle respectable calm aura champions are known for and it doesn't help that I was already sick of gen 1 reuse (Charizard). I almost didn't get gen 9 because of this game. Gen 9 isn't super great either but at least it had a stronger story and felt like a more finished* version of what they were trying to do with the wild area.

*by finished I don't mean on a technical/debugging level lol

Final Fantasy 13 was a disappointment when it came out. I love 13-2 and Lighting Returns. I love the fal-cie concepts and the existential conundrum and the cosmology is probably my favorite in the series but it had some really grating dialog and strange sexualization of an underage character (Vanille) that really dragged down a lot of the scenes with Sazh in the beginning and Snow was super grating. I don't mind if the game is one long hallway, you can argue FFX was one, but FFX had an incredibly emotional core and a viewpoint character that allowed us to naturally reveal the world rather than sideline important information into an optional-to-read datalog. I believe 13 suffered from npc characters just not feeling engaged with the main cast aside from being enemies and I think it suffered by not letting the narrative have any breathing room with towns/cities you could explore. Again, great soundtrack and designs and I loved some of the Hindu inspirations sprinkled into this games enemies but I have to admit I struggle to want to replay this Final Fantasy as often as the titles before it (or even its sequels which are underrated gems).

Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts. I am a massive Nintendo/Rareware collectathon fan and this was like watching someone adopt your neopet and put them in the worst outfits imaginable. Yooka Laylee wasn't horrible but it was sliiightly disappointing in this regard as well.

Last edited:
Fun to see a lot of people mentioned Sw/Sh and Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts.

Another unpopular opinion but Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom. They traded off the best aspect of the Zelda series (the dungeons) to do what a million other games are doing which is to build a huge open world that takes half a decade to make and without a doubt feels brilliantly intuitive to interact with on a gameplay level but less so on an...alive kinda level? The side quest (not main quest) NPCs feel like they lack personality and memorability. OST and shrines are at least better than BotW as well.

I feel like with TotK Zeldas memory story was fine but could have been more impactful if that story was told across the entire game and we got attached to the characters and just rewrite Ganon to be less of a 1 dimensional lulzfortheevilz kinda character especially if they're going to make him look that hot.

Lastly I think that a lot of the sky islands are similar and the entire underground zone is a massive amount of sameness and so it's (weirdly enough) the redesigned Hyrule that felt moderately fresh.

BotW was a nothingburger served on a huge plate.

TotK was a slider and 3 or 4 stray fries served on a huge plate.

I'm ready for a more substantial meal to fill out this plate if that makes any sense.

Animal Crossing Pocket Camp disappointed me with how there is a set number of supplies you can get each day without shelling out real world money and then you have visitors demanding stuff you either don’t have or have enough of and you can’t do anything because they leave the very next day. NH perfected the daily supply issue by letting you get as much as you want if you use the stone axe on trees and don’t do anything to remove a rock and have enough crops and fruit trees.

honestly... Persona 3 Reload.

It is a great game, but i wouldn't consider it a great remake. it has so many seemingly unimportant subtle changes that are actually quite important. such as the more vibrant colour pallete. it seems like such a minor change, but Persona 3s more monotone and dull pallete and atmosphere was such a defining aspect of it. and i will not even mention the completely different art direction. although it is a great game, i feel a remake is supposed to capture the vision of the original game. Persona 3 Reload being a £60 game with a rather significant part of the story locked behind a £30 expansion pass is... certainly a decision. especially considering said content was free in the older game.

it is not a bad game. just a bad remake. it did not entirely disappoint me, but i will say i was expecting something a little different.

Metroid: Dread

Samus Aran - the greatest bounty hunter in the whole galaxy with experience, battle prowess, superior equipment and basically a bi-pedal tank - is reduced to being a fleeing, scared teen girl in a slasher film.

The game is all about running from these robot killers much like the masked killer cliche. It didn't take long for me to figure out that was it, that was the whole game.

This may resonate with those who love video games inspired by horror movies like that, but I really don't like it. Leave it out of Metroid, thanks, make your own girl fleeing from the boogie man game.

It was so bad I threw it in the trash. This hasn't happened since Magna Carta: Tears of Blood on PS2.

I'm sure everyone will forget about Dread after Metroid Prime 4 drops.

Pretty much all the Pokémon games post sun and moon (I love those games ).

Harvestella I did not care for either.
Post automatically merged:

Metroid: Dread

Samus Aran - the greatest bounty hunter in the whole galaxy with experience, battle prowess, superior equipment and basically a bi-pedal tank - is reduced to being a fleeing, scared teen girl in a slasher film.

The game is all about running from these robot killers much like the masked killer cliche. It didn't take long for me to figure out that was it, that was the whole game.

This may resonate with those who love video games inspired by horror movies like that, but I really don't like it. Leave it out of Metroid, thanks, make your own girl fleeing from the boogie man game.

It was so bad I threw it in the trash. This hasn't happened since Magna Carta: Tears of Blood on PS2.

I'm sure everyone will forget about Dread after Metroid Prime 4 drops.

I didn’t like dread either. It didn’t feel like a exploration game at all, it felt very linear i played for a few hours and sold it.

Castlevania always did those style games better imo we are long over due for a real castlevania game not that lord of shadows stuff but back to from SotN style. Was not a fan of bloodstained as much as I tried just felt like a temu dawn or sorrow.

Back