Gekijoban Doubutsu no Mori review

BonslyDoodleDoo

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
This Japan-only animated adaptation of AC: Wild World (2006) was a major success, and was the first adaptation of the much loved Animal Crossing franchise into a non-game medium, I’ve recently enjoyed rewatching this movie during my time off, and this post will be my detailed thoughts and review of this movie, and what I liked and didn’t like.
To start things off, the movie follows a young girl named Ai, who moves into a village called Animal Village, in a taxi. In the town hall, she meets Tortimer, who is anxious about an upcoming election where all the possible winners are himself. Then, at Tanuki Goods, Tom Nook employs her part time to deliver to the various residents (such as the hyperactive Rosie, the gentle Margie, the elegant Whitney, the laid back Alfonso, who has a best (human) friend Yū from another town, the quiet Apollo (whose garden is ruined), the running Champ, and the close pals Cesar and Cyrano), enjoying finding message bottles, K.K. Bossa performed live, and a fun Fireworks Festival in the summer. Though in the autumn, Margie moves away, and Ai is saddened that she didn’t make it, Whitney consoling her and acting like a “second mother”. Then, just as Margie returns, Gulliver’s spaceship crash lands, and what seems to be a UFO piece turns out to be a lost little alien who can morph its body to Ai’s face. And all is good.

The art style of this movie looks impressive, and Mr. Resetti’s yelling was making my Robinson’s burst from my mouth (no joke). The film is a decent movie recreation of everything Wild World offers, and it all works together beautifully. The election results got a good chuckle, K.K. Bossa’s lyrics inspiring, and Hopper’s running gag tickling my funny bone, but there are some aspects I think would’ve made it a bit better, like Rover (not in this movie) acting as Ai’s father in this movie, Katrina appearing, and maybe actually seeing Margie’s goodbye party. Plus, since Lucy and an unknown male player appeared in concepts, it would been neat to see them, but so far so good. 9/10.

Back