• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Halloween vs Christmas: A Merry Scary Rating Entry

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Rating the changes isn’t just current vs former. It can also be used to rate similarities and differences between two objects (like Texas vs California, winter vs summer, and science vs social studies). Since Halloween is tomorrow, today would be the day I rate the changes.

This time, there’s no positive or negative changes. The score is green if Christmas is better, but orange if Halloween is better. There is a significance rating, but very rarely will it get to 3.

Despite being two different holidays on two different days, Halloween and Christmas have a lot of stuff in common. But when they both have something in common, which one is better?

• General: Halloween is all about kids in costumes going to each door and collecting candy while the adults pass out candy to kids. Christmas is about spending time with family and opening presents. Despite both becoming almost like each other with different themes, the meanings still differ among both holidays. Do you get presents for Halloween? Do you collect candy from other houses on Christmas? Now for my personal view, the last time I went trick-or-treating was when I was 7 years old, but the last time I dressed up for Halloween was when I was 8 years old. Basically, I haven’t gone trick-or-treating since I was 9 years old. But I did pass out candy for a while. Until I was 16, that is. After that, the only times I passed out candy was when I was 21 and 23. Now I don’t even pass out candy. In fact, I’m not even into Halloween anymore. And starting next year, Halloween will become irrelevant to me. Christmas, on the other hand, I’ve always celebrated it, and I will always celebrate it. And I like opening presents more than collecting candy, so Christmas.
    • Score: 3
    • Significance: 3
  • Music: Does Halloween have any traditional songs?
    • Score: 2
    • Significance: 1
  • Lights: Now this is where Christmas and Halloween begins to have things in common. While I hope that every holiday has lights (not just Christmas, Halloween, and Mardi Gras), Christmas has colored lights for so long, it even turned into a separate entity, not just for Christmas trees. You can see them on houses, buildings, and other structures. Some places even have attractions based on Christmas Lights. Houston Zoo, San Antonio Riverwalk, Austin’s tunnel of lights, many more you can see. Also, colored lights are within a limited color scheme for Halloween, but not for Christmas (unless you want specific themes.
    • Significance: 2
  • Decorations: Halloween and Christmas both have their share of interesting decorations, both indoors and outdoors. Since they’re both equally good, it’s tough to decide, but I’m gonna go ahead and say Christmas, with or without the lights.
    • Score: 1
  • Spirit: Ghosts, pumpkins, bats, spiders, witches, and skulls. Sure. Santa Claus, reindeer, snowmen, elves, gingerbread men, Arctic animals. Better. What’s interesting is that both have elements that relate to the whole season and not just the holiday itself. But Christmas wins this one, because it also has a religious meaning behind it.
  • Candy: Halloween may be all about candy, but Christmas is better when it comes to candy. I don’t like candy corn or any other unusual candies exclusive to Halloween. And don’t even get me started on that atrocity that has forever ruined Halloween - fun-sized candy.
  • Specials: Both holidays have their own movies and TV specials too (including a Charlie Brown one). While I don’t like the horror theme, I think Christmas is better when it comes to TV specials. They are not just better at telling Christmas stories (as well as have morals), but they also have their own songs.
    • Significance: 1
  • Season: Fall has been my favorite season for a long time, but now I would like to say that winter is my favorite. First of all, I like cold weather. Secondly, my birthday is in the winter. Last of all, the winter has a better theme, and much more than just Christmas and snow.
  • Going Out: While Christmas has the advantage of being within a middle of a vacation, at least shops, restaurants, and other places of business are open on Halloween. And while I may get a chance to spend time with friends on Halloween, I can’t for Christmas. So while Christmas is better than Halloween on many things, it’s not objectively better in my opinion.
  • Costumes: Just like what I said about the lights, this is another custom you can see on both holidays. On Halloween, there’s a large variety of costumes, not just spooky costumes. But Christmas, they only have Christmas-themed costumes.
  • Final Score: 1.400
What would your personal ratings be?

Back