• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

How can I tell if a mug is microwave safe?

Reginald Fairfield

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Yellow Bunny Balloon
Final Boss Bunny Balloon
Hot Bunny Balloon
Pink Bunny Balloon
Yellow Bunny Balloon
Purple Bunny Balloon
Pink Bunny Balloon
Purple Bunny Balloon
Orange Bunny Balloon
Orange Bunny Balloon
I was looking this up, found this:
Don't do this with metal.

I assume the microwave would also have a bad affect on any of that material that changes when the mug is warm.

Also, I don't have a kettle.

when I'm not sure if a mug is microwave safe, or I know it isn't (my coffee mug is metal so it's definitely not), then I'll actually heat up water in a separate glass/ceramic cup and pour it into the mug afterward. just gotta be careful not to burn your hand of course.

If something is microwave safe it should have a symbol on the bottom of it indicating this. There is also a symbol to indicate if something is dishwasher safe. It changes from country to country, but the most consistent element in microwave safe symbols is that they incorporate wavey lines somewhere.

I go with my gut feeling.

I have started small fires from putting the wrong materials in the microwave. (like tin foil). Always be prepared to stop the microwave if the entire thing starts flashing bright orange colors.

Some of the vintage cups we own don't have labels. It's a guessing game and luckily most of the time I get it correct.

If something is microwave safe it should have a symbol on the bottom of it indicating this. There is also a symbol to indicate if something is dishwasher safe. It changes from country to country, but the most consistent element in microwave safe symbols is that they incorporate wavey lines somewhere.
This new heat changing Disney mug doesn't. It was made to advertise that Elemental movie, available from their rewards site.

This new heat changing Disney mug doesn't. It was made to advertise that Elemental movie, available from their rewards site.

If it doesn't have the microwave safe symbol it's best to assume it is not!

I used to have one of Disney's colour change mugs. The design can become damaged overtime, so better to avoid microwaves and dishwashers.

Back