• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

How do I know who's really in my Town?

Rainy Day

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Yellow Cosmos
Tasty Cake
Silver Mailbox
I have a question here guys. How do I really know who's in my town? The 3DS names are different from the in-game New Leaf names.

For example, someone could say they're "Bob" when they're really "John". So if they vandalize my town then Bob would get the blame and be removed whilst John, the culprit, would stay added. There's no way to tie the 3DS code to the NL character so you can only remove based on the word of the culprit!

And since I can't add notes/comments to my 3DS or NL friends, how do I know who is who? Is there a way of tying the 3DS code to NL to know who is who exactly?

Last edited:
Well before you add people maybe make note of their 3DS name then if you meet them in game via a scheduled time make note of their ign. I sometimes have trouble keeping track of who's who so at times I ask if it's the first time. Also you could send a swapnote. Basically in the end just make a mental or physical note of the 3DS user name and their villager name. No way to tell before hand if they didn't tell you.

Well before you add people maybe make note of their 3DS name then if you meet them in game via a scheduled time make note of their ign. I sometimes have trouble keeping track of who's who so at times I ask if it's the first time. Also you could send a swapnote. Basically in the end just make a mental or physical note of the 3DS user name and their villager name. No way to tell before hand if they didn't tell you.

Thank you for the reply. I'm glad to see another person who likes to keep track of their friend's list.

That is troubling to hear. Sometimes I meet three at a time on ACC. Having to rely on their word of mouth with no way of knowing if they're lying or not. What if there are twins? Popular look, popular name of a town and character used by two people? There's no way of knowing which is actually which.

Edit: Even if the person said their code and name it doesn't prove who they are in NL. They could restart a dozen times and you'd never know who they are. You'd have to delete you entire friend's list...and that's not a solution. That's insult to injury.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. I'm glad to see another person who likes to keep track of their friend's list.

That is troubling to hear. Sometimes I meet three at a time on ACC. Having to rely on their word of mouth with no way of knowing if they're lying or not. What if there are twins? Popular look, popular name of a town and character used by two people? There's no way of knowing which is actually which.

I hear ya. Wish they made it clearer in some way. A good way to avoid potential damage to your town is if you open your gates set to best friends only. This way you can be sure its only people you set as best friend to come to your town.

I hear ya. Wish they made it clearer in some way. A good way to avoid potential damage to your town is if you open your gates set to best friends only. This way you can be sure its only people you set as best friend to come to your town.

I added above that even if the person said their code and name it doesn't prove who they are in NL. They could restart a dozen times and you'd never know who they are. You'd have to delete you entire friend's list...and that's not a solution. That's insult to injury.

Even adding someone as a best friend, I mean, unless you knew them in real life there's no way to really know who they are.

Even if you deleted the entire friend's list they could get you to re-add them in the future, posing as different person and you'd never know. Thus making you delete the list again.

Last edited:
Well think of it this way. We know it there's danger in the world, yet we go out anyway. There's always some risk, just be careful who you add. I say add them to the best friend list if you played with them a bit. Then say they delete their char, they won't be on that list anymore. Also if you really don't trust them follow them a bit or keep an eye out and if something happens turn of your system so nothing saves.

Mind you though that most players (especially from these forums) mind the rules of online etiquette and are nice guests to have. I understand your concern but to enjoy life some risk is involved.

Well think of it this way. We know it there's danger in the world, yet we go out anyway. There's always some risk, just be careful who you add. I say add them to the best friend list if you played with them a bit. Then say they delete their char, they won't be on that list anymore. Also if you really don't trust them follow them a bit or keep an eye out and if something happens turn of your system so nothing saves.

Mind you though that most players (especially from these forums) mind the rules of online etiquette and are nice guests to have. I understand your concern but to enjoy life some risk is involved.

Ah, you know, I didn't think they'd be removed from the best friend's list, but they would be if they restarted!! Thank you so much. That's actually a pretty good solution for now. I'm sure I won't have more then 50 best friends I'd meet up with every week. Even in WW I played for years I had only a handful of best friends. The rest were extras in which we both enhanced each other's experience and departed paths soon thereafter.

So, I'll take your advice, and add people I like to my best friend's list. If something bad ever happens and I cannot identify who did it then I will delete the entire list and add only my best friend's back. (Hopefully it wouldn't be one of them, not sure how I would figure that out.)

I understand there's risk and that comes with life, even though this is just a game. But the reason I'm actually asking/talking about this is because I, at first, wasn't sure if I missed some feature that does link the codes, etc. And really...it's not a legitimate risk. This is something Nintendo should of have thought through, making it more of a troubling inconvenience.

Just keep a notepad document with names and codes.

Okay I have a 3DS code with the name Jamie. What's her NL character? She could say it's Jamie and it might be Bob. There's no way for us to know.

Even if they don't lie, restarting does not remove them from your friend's list. They could restart with another name, visit your town and you don't know who they are nor their code to remove them...unless they told you, which if someone is out to get you, they're not going to tell you.

Back