• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

How do you choose your villagers?

I try to have one of every type. I have a list of villagers I like and I just pick whatever I feel from that at the time. I don't have more than 2 of the same species on my island at a time.

My town theme is "ElegantCore Semi-Modern Kingdom" with hues of blues, teal, and purples mixed with white and gold.
So I essentially chose villagers off these factors
~ I like them
~ Cute
~ Matches the theme
~ Decent exterior
~ At least one of each personality type
I've grown to like some of the ones I was neutral towards personality-wise so it worked out really well!

chai.ac53212.png
Maple_NH.png
Francine_NewHorizon.png
Chief_NewHorizon.png
Colton_NewLeaf.png
Kidd_NH.png
269Pashmina-O7CbhT.png
Azalea_NH.png
Sherb_NH.png
Hamlet_NewLeaf.png

Attachments

• Hamlet_NewLeaf.png
    Hamlet_NewLeaf.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 7
i usually pick looks first, personality second, but i also like to have at least one of every personality so things don't get *too* boring

I've been really loose this time around. Before New Horizons, I got villagers from other people, hunted for the ones I liked. This time around, anyone who wants to move gets to go. And then I go to the Mystery Island and keep going until I feel a connection, ha, ha. It's kept the game interesting and I find it less stress inducing.

I'm pretty picky when it comes to villagers and on top of that my island is Sailor Moon themed so I wanted to pick villagers that I felt fit in some way.

First I like to make sure every personality is accounted for. I also like to pick 5 male and 5 female villagers if possible. Finally I also like to have each villager be of a different species to keep things more diverse.

How my theme works is I have 5 playable villagers based on the main 5 Sailor Guardians from Sailor Moon. Usagi (Sailor Moon), Ami (Sailor Mercury), Rei (Sailor Mars), Makoto (Sailor Jupiter), and Minako (Sailor Venus). Each character lives in a different part of the island with different themes so I chose 2 NPC villagers to be their neighbours. Below is who I chose and why.
Usagi:
Kiki - Black cat who is similar to Luna who is Usagi's pal/advisor
Julian - He's not exactly like pegasus as he lacks wings but at last he has the horn

Ami:
Derwin: Cute nerdy duck who matches her blue Sailor colour
Shep: Super chill and laid back

Rei:
Blanche: Personality is a little harsh like Rei and has a traditional Japanese themed house
Cyd: Red like her Sailor colour and also a little rough on the personality side but still lovable

Makoto:
Merengue: Cooking/bakery themed house since Mako loves to cook, and she's sweet themed herself
Frobert: Strong athletic type and matches her green Sailor Colour

Minako:
Mira: Literally Sailor V inspired so too perfect to pass on
Audie: Super outgoing and has big dreams, also matches her orange Sailor colour

I choose villagers based off who I like and their appearance, but sometimes I don’t mind who is on my island. It’s kinda nice to try new villagers and find new favorites. I do however need to have all personality types on my island. It doesn’t feel the same when your missing one personality or another.

I want at least one of every personality type, then after that it just depends on my mood at the time...ive done all dogs before but right now I want all different species.

I choose them based on looks first.
If i like how they look they are a candidate for coming to my island.

BUT...

I also DON'T want to have duplicates of animals that i already have in my town.
( example, i don't want 2+ dogs, or sheep, or wolves in my town. )
I want just 1 of each animal.

I don't care about duplicate personalities though.
I am fine with having 2+ jocks or something on my island.

In the end, i will have.
Kevin ( pig )
Biff ( hippo )
Chevre ( goat )
Biskit ( dog )
Raymond ( cat )
Becky ( chicken )
Vic ( bull )
Savannah ( horse )
Julia ( ostrich )
Timbra ( sheep )
( Timbra the sheep will maybe be replaced by another islander, if i can find one that is female and looks good, or cute or whatever, but until then i will go with Timbra. )

( i like to have 5 boys and 5 girls living on the island, excluding my own character, i just like to have equal amount of male to female islanders )

I choose based on who I like and think could fit a Gothic aesthetic.
With my previous island, I only went on looks, not taking personality type into consideration. This time around, I'm planning on having all of the personalities while also trying not to repeat too many villagers I've had before (my absolute favourites will be around, though). That means no Lucky and no Cherry who would otherwise be obvious picks.
I don't mind duplicates of a species, just as long as I really like them.

For me it depends on how they look and their personality types. I hate the jock personality and don't really like any uchi designs so I only really have those two personalities to unlock their reactions. Other than that, I just choose them based off if I like their design pretty much. I also don't really have an island theme so it doesn't really matter what their colours are.

Obligatory "I didn't choose my villagers, my villagers chose me" type of post
But no seriously I didn't really hunt any of my villagers down except Bob, he was a must because I really like him. Otherwise, I just go based off who my campers were and if I liked them or not, which I ended up liking most of them and most of my villagers are gonna stay forever, I've only let a few go and they were replaced by ones I like better anyway. My island doesn't have much of a coherent "aesthetic" regarding who my villagers are either

I no longer care for having all 8 personality types, I choose whoever looks cute to me.

And it seems to be centered around specific species: rabbits, cats, deers, squirrels, cubs, and wolves.
I find no interest in the other species with the exception to Pietro who's a sheep (I no longer have him on my island though).

To choose my villagers, I don't really have a set criteria? Most of my villagers are just ones that I've found myself attached to through my time playing the games of the series, or ones that I like the design of! There's on villager that I really like, and that's Mott! He's not very popular, though he was a good friend's favorite villager once upon a time. I found myself coming to like him, too!

Another villager that I ended up falling in love with the design of was Dobie. He just looks like a tough grandpa detective dude, but a sweetheart in the same breath and I love it. He reminds me of my own grandfather, in a way!

I had a theme in mind starting out, but then I just went through the list of villagers and went with whoever I liked and built the island around them. Each of my villagers has their own theme on the island that suits them geographically, and I think it has worked quite well!
The only must-haves that I had in mind from the start were Gonzo and Erik. The rest I just decided I liked or got lucky, like finding Audie while looking for Marina one time; I gladly took her of course and snagged Marina later.

I chose my villagers to match a color palette. I like neutral colors, so black, grey, brown. I also have my current playable residents styled around the same color palette. Their houses also have to fit in on my town, if their houses have very bright colors, it just doesn’t look as nice. So far I know these are permanent: Cole, Roscoe, Rodeo, Nan, Mathilda, Avery, Curt, and Raddle.
These I’m not 100% sure yet: Dotty, Agnes.

I don’t really care about personality types, or if I don’t have certain ones. Dotty and Agnes are filling the spots for the emotions that I still need to get from them (Confident and Mischief). I don’t know if I will keep them afterwards. I try to have a gloomy theme all throughout, so I thought the neutral colors were nice.

I started with all black villagers, but over time my color palette has advanced to add and accommodate new colors.
I don’t like to use the same species, but there have been exceptions. Right now Dotty is an exception because I don’t like how the other peppy villagers look. Bonbon would have been a nice alternative but her house exterior doesn’t fit my aesthetics. I suppose I mainly choose my villagers based on their looks, and their house exterior. Nothing else is important.

FCWbZA1WEAQORpt

I intended to have an all cat island, but I found some non-cat villagers I like so... basically the only thing is I want at least 1 of every personality. I just need to like their aesthetic.
Same here!!! Too many good non-cat villagers.

maybe Niko too.

He's an NPC unfortunately.

Considering how picky I am when it comes to some of the personalities, who just do not seem to have many I can possibly vibe with ... my only priority at this point in time is having one of every personality, and from there, most aesthetically pleasing that I can also see pairing off with another villager in some form. Romantic ships, good neighbors who would love to be @ each other, etc. lol.

He's an NPC unfortunately.

Considering how picky I am when it comes to some of the personalities, who just do not seem to have many I can possibly vibe with ... my only priority at this point in time is having one of every personality, and from there, most aesthetically pleasing that I can also see pairing off with another villager in some form. Romantic ships, good neighbors who would love to be @ each other, etc. lol.

Aw darn. Thanks for letting me know. I would’ve loved it if he was a villager 😔

I do try to get all personalities, but I just go with my favs before I lose my sanity island hopping.

Back