• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

I'm a poor college student

libarts

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
ど
What device should I buy to play Animal Crossing:NL? I heard there are different models and some play the game "better" than others? I do not follow the video game industry, but I would like to play New Leaf. What device should I buy specifically?

Thanks. :)

LOL wut? If your referring to the 3DS or 3DS XL I'd recommend the XL. It has a bigger screen and it's more comfortable to use. :lemon:

There are currently 2 devices that are compatible with Animal Crossing: New Leaf, the 3DS and the 3DS XL.

If you you are looking for something cheaper (mostly), then the regular 3DS is the one for you. It is currently available in Blue, red, white, black, purple and the limited editions, Fire Emblem: Awakening and Legend of Zelda.

The 3DS is region locked so you CANNOT play software on a 3DS that is not from your region, I.E: Games from Europe cannot be played on a North American DS etc...

The 3DS XL however, has a 90% larger screen than the regular 3DS, as well as better sound. And is currently available in Blue + Black, Red + Black, Silver + Black, White, Pink + White as well as the limited edition Pikachu, Charizard and Animal Crossing.

Choose the one that suits you best! :)

(Other members can add anything if I missed anything!)

I also recommend the 3DS XL. Honestly, I can't even go back to my regular 3DS because of it.

I'd also suggest taking it on campus with you. I've actually gotten quite a few people to StreetPass with when I take mine with me. Plus if you're campus is also big, it's a gold mine for Play Coins. :p

I also recommend the 3DS XL. Honestly, I can't even go back to my regular 3DS because of it.

I'd also suggest taking it on campus with you. I've actually gotten quite a few people to StreetPass with when I take mine with me. Plus if you're campus is also big, it's a gold mine for Play Coins. :p

I'm different to you. I swapped back to my small 3DS because the XL had more cons than pros. But I guess it's a matter of opinion.

The 3DS XL however, has a 90% larger screen than the regular 3DS, as well as better sound.

One thing to note though, the XL does NOT have better sound, if you are talking about the speakers. Whenever I play on max volume (especially games like Mario Kart) with speakers they start to crackle. It is also a lot quieter than the regular 3DS. I compared my XL's speakers with my friend's original 3DS speakers, and they kick the XL's butt.

Headphones work nice though.

One thing to note though, the XL does NOT have better sound, if you are talking about the speakers. Whenever I play on max volume (especially games like Mario Kart) with speakers they start to crackle. It is also a lot quieter than the regular 3DS. I compared my XL's speakers with my friend's original 3DS speakers, and they kick the XL's butt.

Headphones work nice though.

This. The 3DS XL's speakers were horrifying (play on Mario Kart 7 and you'll hear crackling), and was quieter!
The 3DS's sound is much better.

There are currently 2 devices that are compatible with Animal Crossing: New Leaf, the 3DS and the 3DS XL.

If you you are looking for something cheaper (mostly), then the regular 3DS is the one for you. It is currently available in Blue, red, white, black, purple and the limited editions, Fire Emblem: Awakening and Legend of Zelda.

The 3DS is region locked so you CANNOT play software on a 3DS that is not from your region, I.E: Games from Europe cannot be played on a North American DS etc...

The 3DS XL however, has a 90% larger screen than the regular 3DS, as well as better sound. And is currently available in Blue + Black, Red + Black, Silver + Black, White, Pink + White as well as the limited edition Pikachu, Charizard and Animal Crossing.

Choose the one that suits you best! :)

(Other members can add anything if I missed anything!)

Thank you for the information. :)

I would wait and see if the bundle comes out, because then you'd just be hitting two birds with one stone. But if you only think you'd be playing animal crossing and not any other games, try and find a regular 3ds in your region on the internet, because you'll probably be able to get it a lot cheaper.

I like the XL, but I don't have the regular to compare it with. I suggest going with the regular one especially if there is going to be a guide.

I am also determining whether I should buy a 3DS or a XL one. Because I have very small hands, and in my country the 3DS and the XL have a 50 euro difference in price, which is a lot in my opinion, but now I read that the sound of the 3DS is better, so (besides a bigger screen) what pros and cons does the 3DS XL have?
Edit: I never had a DSi, and all these years I have used my trusty DS lite, so I'm used to a smaller screen, and now after done some research, it seems that the bigger screen of the XL is a bit more pixelated, it's resolution is not very good with every game, only with the big titles...Oh what should I do?

Last edited:
I am also determining whether I should buy a 3DS or a XL one. Because I have very small hands, and in my country the 3DS and the XL have a 50 euro difference in price, which is a lot in my opinion, but now I read that the sound of the 3DS is better, so (besides a bigger screen) what pros and cons does the 3DS XL have?
Edit: I never had a DSi, and all these years I have used my trusty DS lite, so I'm used to a smaller screen, and now after done some research, it seems that the bigger screen of the XL is a bit more pixelated, it's resolution is not very good with every game, only with the big titles...Oh what should I do?

Buy the XL. No question.

If you have small hands like me, you should get the original XD But if you don't really care about comfort so much and you will probably play games a lot to justify the price, get the XL.

If you have small hands like me, you should get the original XD But if you don't really care about comfort so much and you will probably play games a lot to justify the price, get the XL.
Yeah, and I find it really weird that the XL doesn't come with an adapter, which means I should spend an extra 10 euros on that. So adding that to the price of the XL it means I should spend 210 euro on JUST the system...Then I'd rather spend 150 for a System and then an additional 40/50 for the game..

definitely the xl. the bigger screen is so much nicer. im picky on things like the pixels and stuff and i dont mind it at all, its hardly noticeable.

I personally prefer the original, since it's more portable, and I prefer the small screen when I'm playing for long periods of time. The only real downfall is the battery doesn't last very long, but I'm not even sure if they even fixed that for the XL.

So, I guess it comes down to preference. If you have no problems with your old DS and you're a little strapped for cash, I'd go for the original. But if graphics mean a lot to you, and you have some extra dough, go for the XL.

I personally prefer the original, since it's more portable, and I prefer the small screen when I'm playing for long periods of time. The only real downfall is the battery doesn't last very long, but I'm not even sure if they even fixed that for the XL.

So, I guess it comes down to preference. If you have no problems with your old DS and you're a little strapped for cash, I'd go for the original. But if graphics mean a lot to you, and you have some extra dough, go for the XL.

They actually did fix the battery life, it's longer on the XL.

OP: It definitely is preference though. I had a 3DS which I loved, and now that I've gotten an XL (Partly because all these good 3DS games that are coming out!!) I couldn't imagine going back to the 3DS. It's a lot more comfortable, in my opinion. The corners don't dig into your palms. It feels more solid too.

Good luck to you OP! :)

I'm also going to throw my vote in for the XL.
I've played on the regular 3DS and it kind of strained my eyes because the screen is a lot smaller. ;c
I have pretty gosh darn small hands and the XL is pretty comfortable for me.
I also like that the XL has a matte finish, rather than a glossy one.
Less prone to grubby finger prints. ; v ;

Back