• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Interiors of Villager Homes Uglification

Moonsownsister

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
I almost hate interacting with my villagers, watching them replace their cute (or at least thematically consistent) interiors with whatever drek they recycle from ReTail or have me fetch for them on quests. Poor Shari gave me some of her cute furniture, and replaced it with an oil drum and some bugs.

Chops (who I am halfway convinced is a serial killer) traded off his uniform jacket for a doctor's coat. His rococo furniture is showing up in ReTail, and a quick visit to his house reveals an oil drum there too! He did not get that one from me. Now he follows me around town while holding a shovel.... Seems a little nefarious.

I only started playing recently, so perhaps I am missing something.

Some of the dream towns I have visited have charming villager homes, not the hodge-podge of styles and misc bugs/fish that mine are devolving into. Is there a trick to keeping the homes pleasant, or do I just have to refuse quests and only put desirable items in the flea market?

That's why whenever a villager requests furniture, I just give them back pieces they stuck in Retail or find other furniture that seems to fit them. Sometimes it's unavoidable though, especially when they ask for bugs or fish and their house turns into an aquariu,m/bug sanctuary. :<

When my villagers ask for furniture, I give them whatever they have most of.

Personally, I think Apple has one of the nicest coordinated houses. I'm so tempted to pocket all her polka dot stuff but I don't and I give her things to match with.
I usually wait until they ask for something that can go on top of tables and then I give them a goldfish or a nice accent to the place that compliments it

Lol, I know this sounds dumb but I typically let them have their freedom with their house. Keeping up with decorating my own home is too much of a chore...it's their choice to live in a dump! xD

I do hate when you ask a villager to move in and you discover that their house is uglified. Too many times has this happened to me! Wish their houses would just reset.

Yup. I usually give back my neighbours the furniture they had. Either by mail or by request. Bugs and fish collecting is sometimes unavoidable but when I visit their house and they offer me to buy some of their stuff, I usually try to buy the ugly stuff they have just to sell them so it becomes unavailable to them.

This really annoys me, too. I haven't done too much about it, but I'd like to start mailing them sets or something. It just seems like a lot of work to maintain, since they'd probably keep listing things in Re-Tail and stuff, and I'm too disorganized to keep items from those sets on hand if they ask for furniture. Plus the fish/bugs...it sounds stressful. T ^T I probably won't end up doing it, so I'll just hope that buying their ugliest items when I visit will help. Dx

I try and buy the ugliest stuff when I visit their houses :3
Otherwise, I try and steer them towards the nicer things in Retail so they'll fill their house with nice stuff, or I try to only carry nice furniture with me just in case they ask me for furniture - it doesn't always work though...

I wish there was a villager interiors reset button so bad. Since there isn't one, I try very hard to only buy things that will look good in their houses, having them remade if need be, and ideally giving them things that can be found on their preferred gifts list. I almost have Molly's house looking cute again. I also try not to accept any favor requests after 4 PM, because if they want that awesome new piece of furniture "today", I have to order it and wait for the mail to arrive.

I got stuck with Olaf through Streetpass, and he apparently won't move till I lose someone else, so I've started trashing his place by mailing him the worst stuff I can find. First, he went from black jacket to pink polka dot shirt. Now his home has a toilet, trash can, and dino torso.

Keeping Re-tail empty helps; at least they can't buy each other's junk. I buy up their stuff and mail it back to them along with other things that go with their original scheme. But there's only so much you can do.

And those oil drums!! What's with that? I had an epidemic of them in City Folk, all my villagers had them.

Rosie had a perfectly themed house with white, red, and pink furniture. Then I visited her, and she had furniture from the Robo Series ;-;

I know the feeling. I've taken to kindly sending my "permanent" villagers (Skye, Kiki, Merengue, and Blanche) furniture I think suits them so their house looks nice. Skye gets the Alpine series she started with, Kiki gets the Modern series, Merengue gets kitchen-type stuff, and Blanche gets Exotic.

remember when you weren't able to exchange items in your villagers' houses?
yeah... those were the days...

Back