Is there a villager that changed in New Horizons, and now you no longer like them?

Honestly all the villagers have downgraded. They no longer feel like neighbors with "personalities", just dumbed down folks with the same one sentence about how nice the day was. The flavorful dialogue was sacrificed with creating dialogue to account for every scenarios in the game (which most players won't get). I end up using some villagers as decorations bc there's nothing that makes them distinct enough for me to care about getting that one person. I still like those villagers but they just end up being boring to talk to especially if they all come from the same personality type.
Example: Mitzi is a normal village.
If I had a island with 3 other normals, it would be a repetitive morning of how blue the sky is.

What... what did they do to my Pashmina? I'm shocked😭😭😭

I still love Diana but just being honest, her default NH dress makes me wanna cry. The dress isn't even that bad, its just soo not her color!😔 If we couldn't ever change their clothes I would've never invited her to my island. I still see her wear it sometimes and it annoys me so much, she's likely the next villager Im getting off my island.

Omg I've always thought the same FROM THE BEGINNING, Diana is really beautiful aesthetically and that dress is totally an eyesore for her color palette🥲
Aside from that, I will say that as a whole, I am disappointed with the Smug villagers in New Horizons. I really enjoyed their portrayal in their debut in New Leaf and there are a ton of Smug designs that are among my favorites, such that Smug was my favorite male personality in New Leaf. I don't really like their dialogue in New Horizons, though, and now Cranky has become my favorite male villager personality.
This!
I don't like the fact that now they are obsessed with social media and being influencers, maybe it made sense for the developers as times have changed and they have a personality type that loves popularity, but I have always found smugs extremely deep underneath their claim to superficiality (and this can be seen in many dialogues in New Leaf). In new Horizons they seem superficial and that's it, without any depth. The peppy villagers are the only ones who have always had a close relationship with the "latest news", they have always talked about their favorite TV programs and their favorite magazines so it makes sense that in New Horizons they love the world of social media.
But honestly the smugs in New Leaf had another way of appearing vain and "popular", and they also flirted a lot more in a much nicer way...

And I also wish sheep would wear scarves again, I wish I could enjoy Étoile's beautiful fur without that super tight t-shirt.

Right now I have one of my favourite villagers on my island, that is Cherry, I don't know if she will stay for the final layout, now I enjoy having her but her house is dull compared to before.
The house is very pretty, but I think it lacks of personality. Before looking at Cherry's house you could see her soul in her house, but now it's just... a beautiful house matched with her colors palette.
I mean, it's fine too, but I prefer the concept of New Leaf.
(I REALLY don't understand why Pashmina is changed SO much, my poor Pashmina)

I also prefer Chief's design of other games. I think in New Horizons he appears much "smoother" than in other Animal Crossing's, maybe it's the outfit? The colors?
I don't know, but I preferred him more... "cranky".

I used to like Boris when he returned in New Leaf, I loved how his house was a movie theater setup. Sadly in New Horizons he went for a more desert look, which I didn't like one bit. More of it he didn't fit my Citycore island if I did keep him. While yes, I can always change his house to a movie theater, that can't be the same for his shirt as they'll always go back to their basic shirt whenever they please, so it wouldn't work...
I have noticed some villagers going back to their default shirt, but didn't realise that was normal :( that's a shame.

If that's so, then Twiggy has to go, her default shirt is annoying me DX

I feel like there’s a lot, but one I can immediately think of is Rosie. I don’t like her new dress, I way prefer the shirt she had before even though it’s barely any different. Something about it just seems off.

I don't like the lazy villagers' bugs and unclean talk. It didn't stop me from having 2 on my island but at least their interiors look clean.

I dislike the sheep wearing shirts now and I want the scarves back. I don't have a single one on my island because they look as fluffy as they did in the previous games.

OK, hear me out, Plucky.

Why in ACNH did they deem it necessary to remove the lil leaf from her head?

Also, is it just me or do the chickens have stubbier proportions with shorter wings now than they did in ACNL?

All of my favorite villagers in NH look amazing and I still love them dearly. However, my primary complaint lies within the personality changes as a whole.

A lot of my favorite villagers are cranky personalities, and I honestly just don't like how tame and watered down the crankies are now. While that has a specific charm in its own way (it kind of gives me grandpa vibes lol), I prefer the past iterations of my favorites a lot more because they felt like more believable individuals.

I truly hope they bring back the more colorful personalities from the older games. Wild World was perfect in that regard imo, they weren't quite as rude as in the GCN version (which I found humorous, though I realize that's not for everyone) but they also had their own spontaneous and somewhat random interests that would make one town's Wolfgang for example, feel different than another town's Wolfgang. To the best of my knowledge, villagers in NH have predetermined hobbies.

NH was just a big miss for me as a whole in terms of villager interactions as it feels like all of your villagers pander to you no matter what you do, even if you intentionally try to make them upset. I understand part of this may be because they want the game to be more family-friendly, but my hot take is that it was those kinds of interactions that truly helped to increase immersion and create relationships with villagers in your town.

In NH, it feels like everyone loves you by default and you don't have to put any effort into trying to bond with them. It makes wanting to increase your friendship levels with villagers pointless unless you just want their picture, and the pictures as a whole feel less rewarding because the journey to get there didn't feel as satisfying. Being able to pick and choose who moves in on my island feels a lot less good when I feel like I am just getting the most watered down versions of my favorite villagers.

As someone that likes cranky villagers, part of the appeal in the old games was that when you bonded enough with them, they would feel like you were their one true friend in the town. That progression from being rude and snarky to them showing their soft side and becoming a loyal friend was very rewarding and helps to form a stronger emotional connection with the villager.

All of the sheep... They look so stupid with the jackets suffocating their wool LMFAO

They especially massacred my girls muffy and etoile whomp whomp

Back