• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Iwata apologizes for New Leaf out-of-stock situation due to modified 3DS game cart

"Exclusivity." Said the Nintendo marketing team. "Exclusivity, the scarsity, the rarity of the item, will sell more."
At least that's what I hear them doing in my head. LinandKo when they did the AC 3DSLL unboxing video quoted the retailer they bought from saying the store itself was limited on how many units they could purchase, "Only 100 instead of 500 like most games". Nintendo is doing this purposefullyyyyyyyyy. And apologizing for something it planned on all along to placate people. It's a good marketing strategy. Seems backwards, limiting the item they make a profit from, but really, it's genious.

It could also be to ensure that the units were spread somewhat evenly across most stores? I think that this game had a much higher demand faster than they expected.

And considering how much Japan loves exclusive and limited things (lots of things are like that here), I wouldn't be surprised if your conspiracy theory was true.
I don't think that really applies to this case though (in regards of the game cartridge) because this limited is referring to the quantity, not of something being exclusive. Like the game's going to keep being printed. Nintendo doesn't really have anything to gain from being sold out of physical copies, besides selling all of their stock. If anything, it'll hurt their physical sales due to no stock.

Will this effect the US release? I hope not

It may have already. The cart situation may be why it is taking so long to produce in other countries, combined with the marketing schemes that they have going. I think they already have localization done, but in terms of mass production and marketing with the release of WiiU, it is taking longer to get released.

It may have already. The cart situation may be why it is taking so long to produce in other countries, combined with the marketing schemes that they have going. I think they already have localization done, but in terms of mass production and marketing with the release of WiiU, it is taking longer to get released.

So can we still except early next year release?!

Back