• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Least favorite storytelling and writing tropes?

Chronos314_XD

Most Likely to Die First in a Horror Movie
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
(keep I mind I'm not a professional writer or anything but I just wanted to see others people's opinions)

1. Intentionally having a character do something out of character and horrible just to have a specific outcome in the story (example: finn messing up his relationship with flame princess in adventure time because of his weird dreams).

2. Punching bag characters, I think they can be funny but I feel like some writers go too far to the point where it makes me hate most of the characters for how they treat the punching bag.

That's just a couple of examples I have.

Last edited:
Meaningless deaths just for shock value. This is probably my #1 least favorite. I understand if the work is just trying to be action-filled and/or not take itself too seriously, but it gets a bit tiring seeing a character killed off just because the author wanted readers to be surprised or they didn't feel like continuing to write said character in story. I wish more authors would give more meaning to their character deaths so that it enhances the overall work, but sadly that doesn't happen a lot.

Meaningless deaths just for shock value. This is probably my #1 least favorite. I understand if the work is just trying to be action-filled and/or not take itself too seriously, but it gets a bit tiring seeing a character killed off just because the author wanted readers to be surprised or they didn't feel like continuing to write said character in story. I wish more authors would give more meaning to their character deaths so that it enhances the overall work, but sadly that doesn't happen a lot.
Yeah, the worst thing is when you can tell by how it was written its obvious the writer just didn't like that character anymore by how they kill them and how characters react to it.

I usually read a lot of romance, not the ones that are very 'Hallmark-like' (even though they still have a wholesome vibe to it) or what most people think all romance books are about, things I'm probably not allow to say on here. The hammer is going to drop on me if I do lol.
There's plenty of times where my eyes almost got stuck in the back of my head because I'll rolled them too much at the most annoying things ever. It's worst when one of my favorite characters in TV shows fall under one of these tropes and I just want to slam my head into the nearest wall while wondering why the creators would do this.

1) This one I have only seen in TV shows so far, I don't know the name of it. But it goes like this. Character A and B are friends (or a couple). Character A is very passionate about becoming a chef someday, so they study hard and apply to this world-renowned school blah blah future is bright..blah blah. Character B is not any of these, just spend their time living. Then one day Character B realize or get this idea that they are slowing Character A down; while Character A is showing the opposite, enjoys whatever Character B brings in store. Cue the ignoring game. Character B goes on a internal rant about how selfish they're for not thinking about the other's feelings, WHILE IGNORING THEM.
Maybe I'm over reacting, but I really can't stand this one. 😭

2) Situations that could have ended ages ago if the characters just sat down and had a heart-to-heart. Now that I'm writing this, I think this also applies to the example above too. But this also drives me to no end. Some romance love eating up this trope.

3) The guy is a jerk to the girl for no reason and the girl is madly in love with them. (This could be for any gender, but this one is most used).

This list isn't all of them, if I added more I'll be here for eternity.

Last edited:
I usually read a lot of romance, not the ones that are very 'Hallmark-like' (even though they still have a wholesome vibe to it) or what most people think all romance books are about, things I'm probably not allow to say on here. The hammer is going to drop on me if I do lol.
There's plenty of times where my eyes almost got stuck in the back of my head because I'll rolled them too much at the most annoying things ever. It's worst when one of my favorite characters in TV shows fall under one of these tropes and I just want to slam my head into the nearest wall while wondering why the creators would do this.

1) This one I have only seen in TV shows so far, I don't know the name of it. But it goes like this. Character A and B are friends (or a couple). Character A is very passionate about becoming a chief someday, so they study hard and apply to this world-renowned school blah blah future is bright..blah blah. Character B is not any of these, just spend their time living. Then one day Character B realize or get this idea that they are slowing Character A down; while Character A is showing the opposite, enjoys whatever Character B brings in store. Cue the ignoring game. Character B goes on a internal rant about how selfish they're for not thinking about the other's feelings, WHILE IGNORING THEM.
Maybe I'm over reacting, but I really can't stand this one. 😭

2) Situations that could have ended ages ago if the characters just sat down and had a heart-to-heart. Now that I'm writing this, I think this also applies to the example above too. But this also drives me to no end. Some romance love eating up this trope.

3) The guy is a jerk to the girl for no reason and the girl is madly in love with them. (This could be for any gender, but this one is most used).

This list isn't all of them, if I added more I'll be here for eternity.
I swear to god anything involving romance is on another level when it comes to bad writing tropes lmao

I'm not a writer, but I do know some tropes in TV shows I don't like.

I hate how writers make a character to serve as a love interest in only one episode and just never be seen again later on.

I don't like it when a character that's meant to be hated appears in an episode or two or more, and there's never any character development whatsoever, and they never even bother explaining why that character is hated to begin with.

I also don't like it when they suddenly make a bad episode of an otherwise great series, a lot of my favorite shows have already fallen victim to this mess.

And don't even get me started with the clichéd popular mean girl stereotype, don't we have too much of that already?

Are abruptly happy endings considered a trope?

Because, I do admit that I enjoy bittersweet or "bad" endings sometimes and it teaches us that not everything is going to be magically solved in one go.

And don't even get me started with the clichéd popular mean girl stereotype, don't we have too much of that already?

Honestly, it would be a great idea to flesh out characters like that. Or make the popular mean girl herself as a protagonist.

For example: the mean girl has a not-so-great life, so she uses her peers in school as a form of escapism from her personal problems and takes everyone for granted by being generally nasty. Only for the course of the story, she suffers the consequences of her actions and slowly realizes that she has to grow up and accept that she needs to treat others as proper humans rather than treating them as tools for her escape. And that she has to learn how to enjoy life in it's base form. With her true friend (an "outcast" in school) acting as some guidance.

(granted, I used to read classical stories that actually punished the protagonist for bad behavior and teaches them like "The Adventures of Pinocchio" or "The Christmas Carol". Honestly, I didn't see much stories or media these days that basically punishes these types of behavior or basically make these characters actual villains unlike the stories of old.)

Back