• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Least favorite storytelling and writing tropes?

dream sequences / "none of this is real" plot.
actually my creative writing teacher really ingrained in us how it's such a pointless plot... the point of a story is to have the character/s grow or change, and when you tell me this was all fake then uh what's the use of telling us this story in the first place if it's just going to go back to status quo? and sorry DRV3 fans in particular but the first time i played through the game i was like really annoyed leaning it was all just some simulation? like ok i guess, now what. yes it did stir up my emotions if that was the goal and i have no idea what part was true and what part was a lie but also knowing that it's very possible the entire game was just a simulation was just. okay then. most my disappointment actually stemmed from being really impressed w the first chapter plot twist, had high hopes for the rest of the game but it fell really flat for me.

uhh trope-wise i don't like the "supposedly funny pervert character" because they are like, never funny to me? get them out of the story because i swear they do not contribute to anything except making my blood boil

i swear i have more gripes but this is what i can think of at the top of my head

THIS.
They usually do thus to characters that have a well rounded relationship with main character, but we don't see this because they kill them too early, so we aren't so connected to them dying.

Of they're killed off because they would easily fixed solutions that take the main character more time to do.

Or get rid of a character so the main character chooses another character as their friend/lover etc. (Voltron??)
it's always the dang wives 😩 "im so sad my wife died" well Mister Action Hero, i never met your wife because your writers killed her before the movie started so i have no emotional attachment to this

Back