• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

More Nintendo Switch Online details revealed!

JCnator

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
4227-4179-8894
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Famous Mushroom
New Horizons Token
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Poptart Easter Egg
Winter Mittens
Cake
Longing for more details about the paid online service for the Nintendo Switch coming this September? Well, it's about time they announced them! Here they are:

• Individual memberships: 1 month for $3.99, 6 for $7.99 and 12 for $19.99 USD
  • Family membership (12 months): $34.99 USD for up to 8 Nintendo Account holders, regardless on which Switch hardware they're using
  • Nintendo Entertainment System ? Nintendo Switch Online: a compilation of 20 NES games and growing
  • Announced NES titles so far: Balloon Fight, Dr. Mario and Super Mario Bros. 3 will be joined by Donkey Kong, Ice Climber, The Legend of Zelda, Mario Bros., Soccer, Super Mario Bros. and Tennis. The other 10 will be unveiled at later date.
  • For the NES games one more time, there's online multiplayer, voice chat, ability to watch someone else playing the game and "pass the controller" as they wish
  • Save Data Cloud Backup for the majority of Switch titles

Source: https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-switch-online-official-announcement-with-new-details/

Last edited:
Do you have to pay with credit cards only? Cause if that’s the case I’m throwing my Switch away

Do you have to pay with credit cards only? Cause if that’s the case I’m throwing my Switch away

Since you could subscribe to the online service via eShop, I'd assume you could also use prepaid eShop cards for that. Don't understand much of the concern aside of being too young to yield a credit card, but you're now a happy camper!

Since you could subscribe to the online service via eShop, I'd assume you could also use prepaid eShop cards for that. Don't understand much of the concern aside of being too young to yield a credit card, but you're now a happy camper!
I mean, if the parents can’t let their kids do it via credit card they should do it via eshop card. At least, I hope so.

i never liked the idea of paid internet and to see nintendo doing this despite the fact the switch is doing well kinda hurts me.

Also this kinda hints at the end of VC and thats a damn shame. So far this new program doesnt sound all that bad and 20 dollars for a year wont kill me so i guess it has that going for it.

Waaaaait I'm going to need more details on that Family Pack thing. Is it just 8 individual 1-year memberships? Because in that case you could put down $35 for 8 years of membership which should be enough for anyone at the moment. Either way it sounds like by far the best option, if you get 7 friends together you would each only pay about $4 for a year of membership.

...This sounds too good to be true, there's some catch right? Or am I just not reading this right.

I thought it was going to be 10€ per month but ~20 a year sounds a good deal!

Waaaaait I'm going to need more details on that Family Pack thing. Is it just 8 individual 1-year memberships? Because in that case you could put down $35 for 8 years of membership which should be enough for anyone at the moment. Either way it sounds like by far the best option, if you get 7 friends together you would each only pay about $4 for a year of membership.

...This sounds too good to be true, there's some catch right? Or am I just not reading this right.

The Family membership works the same way as a 12-months individual membership would, only this time letting you tie 7 extra Nintendo accounts of your choice.

By creating a Nintendo Account Family Group via your Nintendo Account settings, you'll be able to link other Nintendo Accounts to yours. That feature will be available starting on May 15th.

I'm surprised to see that nobody else in the thread other than I being relieved on the prospect being able to backup our saves with the help of cloud storage. As far as I know, there's absolutely no way to copy/move save datas anywhere, meaning that a broken Switch would render those files gone forever.

Last edited:
i never liked the idea of paid internet and to see nintendo doing this despite the fact the switch is doing well kinda hurts me.

yay ninty being late discovering this and actually applying it on the switch. yeah it's the dumbest thing ever, i mean it's not that people are buying games and already having to pay for internet anyway *rolls eyes*

So basically they're going in the route of playstation plus but more reasonable price? I'm not sure how I feel about it, but on one hand it's 20 dollars for the whole year instead of uh 60 dollars for playstation plus. So maybe? I'll have to see what else happens with it before I decide.

super mario bros 3
wHY

cries

(i don't have a switch)

That game is also available on 3DS eShop. Heck, you can even buy it for 45% cheaper if you're from the America region and happen to have 20 Gold Points on My Nintendo.

For those concerned with paying for online multiplayer access, that blow can be softened by estimating on how long you actually want to use it. For example, if you plan to play that game online for 3 months, a 3-months individual membership should suffice.

I'd probably go with the family pack/membership thing since that would make the most sense with my girlfriend and kid having their own Switches plus I own multiple units myself. Even if I don't plan on using them all to play online, $35 is still cheaper than having to register three to four accounts individually. I'm still waiting for the "catch". There's probably a catch lol xD

I wish it was like the Xbox 360/One where only one account needs to pay the subscription for one year and then everyone on that console gets a subscription. For me I might as well go for the family pack because 2 individuals is the same price as a family pack. But I don't have 8 accounts :p Like an absolute max of 4 accounts between my brother and I so getting the family pack feels like a waste. But I guess it's more for the same price so I'll go for the family pack. I kinda wish there was more packs in between the two but oh well. The pricing is pretty much exactly what I expected, which is what I thought would be a reasonable price. It's way cheaper in comparison to xbox and playstation so I'm happy with that.

Last edited:
Nintendo has never had good online. The Switch app thing is proof of that plus there will be a ton of hackers since a security flaw was discovered recently. The worst thing about this though is the streaming service crap. I’d rather have virtual console

I should have known when Nintendo initially revealed they were going to make us pay for online but didn't reveal any improvement in the actual service to justify it that it meant that there, in fact, wouldn't be any. Nintendo's just like "You've got to pay, just because. The other companies do it." Good god, the other companies have actual online infrastructures. Meanwhile the Switch regressed back to Friend Codes. I'm not saying that I like the idea of paying for PS or Xbox online either, I really don't. But Nintendo has no place doing this at all. It's just a slap to the face.

And they really think that NES games make this service worth paying for? God they're so full of themselves. There was a time where NES games were not easily available to play and this would have been a novel idea. That time would have been... 15+ years ago. Now we've had the opportunity to purchase any of the NES games you will see in this service a hundred times over. The only thing new about them is online, but honestly, I've played these games enough that adding online to them does absolutely nothing for me. They are old news.

I hope they add more classic games to the lineup of Switch Online. I want all sorts of VC games transferred to the Switch. :/

- - - Post Merge - - -

I should have known when Nintendo initially revealed they were going to make us pay for online but didn't reveal any improvement in the actual service to justify it that it meant that there, in fact, wouldn't be any. Nintendo's just like "You've got to pay, just because. The other companies do it." Good god, the other companies have actual online infrastructures. Meanwhile the Switch regressed back to Friend Codes. I'm not saying that I like the idea of paying for PS or Xbox online either, I really don't. But Nintendo has no place doing this at all. It's just a slap to the face.

And they really think that NES games make this service worth paying for? God they're so full of themselves. There was a time where NES games were not easily available to play and this would have been a novel idea. That time would have been... 15+ years ago. Now we've had the opportunity to purchase any of the NES games you will see in this service a hundred times over. The only thing new about them is online, but honestly, I've played these games enough that adding online to them does absolutely nothing for me. They are old news.

I completely agree with this.
NES games aren't even that good. I prefer SNES games miles more.

I'm honestly beginning to question why you even play nintendo games or comment on switch stuff tbh cause all you do is **** all over it

if you don't like it, don't buy it. It's not exactly going to put anyone out of wallet and if someone could afford a switch , idk why they can't put aside $4/$20 a year.

Nintendo has to pay for servers so idk why people think we are entitled to free service just because it's always been like that.

It was a luxury before yes, but it's not exactly as horrifically crappy as you're making it sound.

Last edited:
Lol at all the people complaining. Stop acting like entitled little children and pretending you should get everything for free.

Back