• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

More Nintendo Switch Online details revealed!

Lol at all the people complaining. Stop acting like entitled little children and pretending you should get everything for free.

Lol at you actually thinking it's a good idea. Ninty had free Wi-fi since whatever first console had it and just applying it to Switch because they are greedy capitalists and others do it is not a good idea. Yeah if I ever get Switch which is unlikely I won't pay.

Also why do everyone go along with this entitled ****? I mean we already pay for the console, games and internet in general but to pay even more for just going online on a specific console.. no.. no.

I should have known when Nintendo initially revealed they were going to make us pay for online but didn't reveal any improvement in the actual service to justify it that it meant that there, in fact, wouldn't be any. Nintendo's just like "You've got to pay, just because. The other companies do it." Good god, the other companies have actual online infrastructures. Meanwhile the Switch regressed back to Friend Codes. I'm not saying that I like the idea of paying for PS or Xbox online either, I really don't. But Nintendo has no place doing this at all. It's just a slap to the face.

And they really think that NES games make this service worth paying for? God they're so full of themselves. There was a time where NES games were not easily available to play and this would have been a novel idea. That time would have been... 15+ years ago. Now we've had the opportunity to purchase any of the NES games you will see in this service a hundred times over. The only thing new about them is online, but honestly, I've played these games enough that adding online to them does absolutely nothing for me. They are old news.

I mean, the NES games are just a little bonus, like the toy in your Happy Meal from McDonalds. You're paying for server maintenance which is very expensive. Surely there will be a certain profit margin behind the price but let's not forget the fact that Nintendo is a company and the price they're asking is 100% reasonable.

Lol at you actually thinking it's a good idea. Ninty had free Wi-fi since whatever first console had it and just applying it to Switch because they are greedy capitalists and others do it is not a good idea. Yeah if I ever get Switch which is unlikely I won't pay.

Also why do everyone go along with this entitled ****? I mean we already pay for the console, games and internet in general but to pay even more for just going online on a specific console.. no.. no.

Yeah f these greedy ass capitalists charging us $1.66 a month for good servers which they have to pay for.

What *******s. It's almost like they're a business or something

Last edited:
Hope y'all realise that Ninty have been paying for your free internet out of their own pockets for many years now. If you were really interested in supporting the company, you would have no problem paying however much it is for online, which is already relatively cheap compared to the Xbox and Playstation.

Most of you clearly don't understand how much it actually costs to run a server. Then there's also the fact that they don't actually make much of a profit off of the consoles. They price them low in hopes they'll make money off of the software and online play

EDIT: If you think them charging monthly is ridiculous, read this to see how much it actually costs to run servers. (The numbers are correct btw, just the shortest one I could find lol) https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2ve5m4/how_much_does_it_actually_cost_a_company_to_run/

Last edited:
I'm honestly beginning to question why you even play nintendo games or comment on switch stuff tbh cause all you do is **** all over it

I've been a Nintendo fan for a very long time. Well over 20 years now. Naturally, it'd be hard not to become a bit critical of a company over that time. The "They're amazing and perfect" honeymoon is long over. I want to see Nintendo do great things. Like having a full-blown Virtual Console would be such a great thing on the Switch. The Switch being a hybrid console makes it the perfect platform for I think a lot of people to want to settle down and purchase for VC. Having all of the games I love from Nintendo's eras on one system that can be played anywhere? Amazing! But no, instead we get... NES games with online that are only available when you pay for a mediocre online service.

I'm not sorry for being unhappy nor am I sorry for expressing my opinions. Nintendo can do so much better than this. Nintendo should do so much better than this. They are an experienced company. They have been around forever. I have expectations of them.

if you don't like it, don't buy it.

Like really if you're going to make such a rude statement as this I might as well not even respond to you. There's no need to be so condescending. Regardless of whether or not I purchase the service, I can still have and state my opinion. Opinions and your right to state them don't magically vanish just because you aren't paying anymore. As I said, I've been a Nintendo fan for a very long time. Darn right I'll have an opinion.

It's not exactly going to put anyone out of wallet and if someone could afford a switch , idk why they can't put aside $4/$20 a year.

With the current amounts of spending money I'm getting it would actually be a significant amount for me. My parents gifted me a Switch last year, I did not buy it myself. I'm a just-graduated student who is about to have to answer to student loans along with bills. And I don't have a job yet and couldn't find one last summer.

$20 is valuable. It may not be a lot for everyone, but lets not pretend that there aren't circumstances where it is, please. And I mean it should be obvious that not everyone who has a Switch could afford it themselves, a lot of people were gifted one.

Nintendo has to pay for servers

Servers used for Nintendo's games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe are Peer to Peer, meaning essentially there is no server to be paid for. The online is run by the users.

I've been a Nintendo fan for a very long time. Well over 20 years now. Naturally, it'd be hard not to become a bit critical of a company over that time. The "They're amazing and perfect" honeymoon is long over. I want to see Nintendo do great things. Like having a full-blown Virtual Console would be such a great thing on the Switch. The Switch being a hybrid console makes it the perfect platform for I think a lot of people to want to settle down and purchase for VC. Having all of the games I love from Nintendo's eras on one system that can be played anywhere? Amazing! But no, instead we get... NES games with online that are only available when you pay for a mediocre online service.

I'm not sorry for being unhappy nor am I sorry for expressing my opinions. Nintendo can do so much better than this. Nintendo should do so much better than this. They are an experienced company. They have been around forever. I have expectations of them.

Like really if you're going to make such a rude statement as this I might as well not even respond to you. There's no need to be so condescending. Regardless of whether or not I purchase the service, I can still have and state my opinion. Opinions and your right to state them don't magically vanish just because you aren't paying anymore. As I said, I've been a Nintendo fan for a very long time. Darn right I'll have an opinion.

With the current amounts of spending money I'm getting it would actually be a significant amount for me. My parents gifted me a Switch last year, I did not buy it myself. I'm a just-graduated student who is about to have to answer to student loans along with bills. And I don't have a job yet and couldn't find one last summer.

$20 is valuable. It may not be a lot for everyone, but lets not pretend that there aren't circumstances where it is, please. And I mean it should be obvious that not everyone who has a Switch could afford it themselves, a lot of people were gifted one.

Servers used for Nintendo's games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe are Peer to Peer, meaning essentially there is no server to be paid for. The online is run by the users.

Peer to peer does not mean that there are no servers involved wtf? If the fact that there are downtimes for server maintenance is not enough proof then idk what is...

it's stupid that theyre going to make us pay for online functions when it has been free up until now and they sell games where online playing is the focus. if you've already bought a game i think it's not that great to have to keep paying to play it, like, offline mode in splatoon is honestly the most boring thing so not paying extra for online functions would make it a terrible game.
If it's not a subscription game to begin with i think it's not rly good at all to make it one by doing this hhhhh
this is a money grab. i wish paying for online services would Not become a trend in console gaming but lol

and @ everyone calling people babies or whatever for disliking it..... why do you feel the need to defend giant companies fghdfghsdh it's not like nintendo wouldn't be able to keep making games if they didn't implement this and talking about a company like it's a person w feelings, thoughts and morals or something is super weird but i guess marketing works lol. it's a company and we're customers and it's not at all unreasonable to be unhappy about a change like this

Last edited:
Even if it was gifted to you, the console itself is no use without games, which are much more expensive than internet service for $1.66 a month. If you can't afford that a month or a year why even have the console in the first place. Like it's a pretty bad investment or gift.

If you can get gifted a switch surely you can ask for a year long subscription for 10x less as a birthday present of Christmas present etc.

All your reply says to me is that you seem more annoyed that Nintendo isn't doing or developing exactly as YOU would have hoped. Just because it's not what you expected doesn't make it bad. Like a genwunner in Pok?mon or something, change happens so deal with it or move on.

I'm not saying you can't have your opinion. But acting like it's the end of the world and Nintendo has ruined everything by charging BARELY TWO DOLLARS a month for an online service on their servers that they have to pay for is ludicrous.

As I said before if you cant afford it , then a switch or online games are probably not a good investment. If you use the family plan with 7 other people, then you're paying $35 for 8 people. That comes out to be about $4.38 per person for a year of internet. Per month, it costs about 36 cents. Gaming is an expensive hobby but this is NOTHING compared to some of the other things you have to buy for it (like controllers, Switch controllers are pricy and much more fitting to complain about). So if you really can't afford to pay 36 cents per month, then...

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure they said about paid online service before the switch release so it's not like its new news

Last edited:
Peer to peer does not mean that there are no servers involved wtf? If the fact that there are downtimes for server maintenance is not enough proof then idk what is...

Look, this is not my area of expertise. However, I've been talking to someone who video games, consoles, PCs, etc. is. I don't mean to give off that appeal to expert fallacy here, but I don't want to pretend I'm speaking from my own knowledge. From what I've understood the 'server' that comes from P2P is a culmination of all users present. Whatever Nintendo has to pay is minimal. The 'servers' they have set up have nothing to do with running the online services of games.

Microsoft is the only console maker that really has games like Halo that are run on their own server. Even then they say they don't really need the money to pay for that online service, they're just charging for it. Nintendo is just following this.

Even if it was gifted to you, the console itself is no use without games, which are much more expensive than internet service for $1.66 a month. If you can't afford that a month or a year why even have the console in the first place. Like it's a pretty bad investment or gift.

If you can get gifted a switch surely you can ask for a year long subscription for 10x less as a birthday present of Christmas present etc.

For goodness's sake. I was so appreciative for my parents just for buying me the Switch. They also bought me Super Mario Odyssey with it. It's not like I was given the system as a gift and was like "Here, that's it". But even if that was the case, so what? My parents owe me nothing. I don't want to go to them to request they also pay for the online service. They have done enough. In between that gift, other gifts, and just overall taking care of me throughout life and college.

All your reply says to me is that you seem more annoyed that Nintendo isn't doing or developing exactly as YOU would have hoped. Just because it's not what you expected doesn't make it bad. Like a genwunner in Pok?mon or something, change happens so deal with it or move on.

I wanted to see actual significant changes to the online service to bring it more up to par with the competition. I'm not expecting something crazy here, and I am far from alone. It is only standard that a company presents a product that is worth paying for. Nintendo's online service is now a product.

Nintendo should be changing the online service to be more of an enticing product to purchase. They have failed at doing that.

I'm not saying you can't have your opinion. But acting like it's the end of the world and Nintendo has ruined everything by charging BARELY TWO DOLLARS a month for an online service on their servers that they have to pay for is ludicrous.

I already explained that Nintendo isn't really going for paying for their servers here. They are monetizing something that doesn't really need to be monetized. As I've said, they're making a product of it, they need to make it compelling.

It's not the end of the world as you claim I'm saying. I'm just saying it is crappy.

As I said before if you cant afford it , then a switch or online games are probably not a good investment. If you use the family plan with 7 other people, then you're paying $35 for 8 people. That comes out to be about $4.38 per person for a year of internet. Per month, it costs about 36 cents. Gaming is an expensive hobby but this is NOTHING compared to some of the other things you have to buy for it (like controllers, Switch controllers are pricy and much more fitting to complain about). So if you really can't afford to pay 36 cents per month, then...

But you see, those expenses are already expenses we have to deal with. We've all ourselves (or someone on our behalfs) spent a fortune on this system, its games, and accessories. We are now expected to pay an additional yearly fee for something that was always already free.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure they said about paid online service before the switch release so it's not like its new news

They did. And I was darn well criticizing them for it back then.

i think if you can afford on a 300$ console , 60$ games , a stable internet connection and electricity services , im pretty sure you can pay 20$ only 1 time per year.

ofc , if you dont like that idea , its ok xxxx

I mean, I'm not a big fan of the whole idea either but it's not anything insane... At the end of the day it's a business and it costs money to run online servers; so I can see why Nintendo would be wanting cash for it... and it literally costs $0.05 a day for the annual pass. I really don't understand why people would be complaining other than being frugal or feeling entitled. We live in a world where technology is constantly evolving and changing, and it just happens to be we're in the era of paid online. If you don't like the idea then simply don't pay for it.

Last edited:
@ everything Envy stated: Yes. Nintendo is far from a perfect company, especially with all the stunts they have pulled and gotten away with like messing up localizations and releases like the mini nes/snes, censoring, punishing people when others disconnect, not organizing eg. Pok?mon events and doing them way too region exclusives, region lock for the 3ds of all consoles etc. This is just generalizing and you should know it but yeah people let them get away with everything for various reasons. Also the fact they kill off everything from the Wii U and 3DS yet continue to "support" it.. Why even bother.

And yes, it's not much of money but yeah it's the principle of WHY they even had to add it when it worked fine before (yes wonky servers and their damn punishments i could live with I guess, I didn't play that much MK7 and Pok?mon for it to bother me). Also I think Ninty could goddamn continue their servers paying from their own pockets if they claim they sell so much. Why take over others?

But sure I'll buy everything Switch and games for $500+ and keep supporting already too expensive stuff, why do I have to play just to get a necessary experience (like visibleghost wrote; I bet it's hella boring to splat offline). And yeah it's old news but it wouldn't have hindered them from not pulling it, or I guess this is their final decision eh.

Back