• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Most Favorite Storytelling and Writing Tropes?

rocketspruggs

𝔣𝔯𝔦𝔢𝔫𝔡 𝔩𝔦𝔣𝔢 ☆
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Island
Hawaii
Arcade Scenery
Tasty Cake
Sweet Balloon
Plum Blossom
Christmas Candy
Stitches
Blue Rocket Pop
Festive Bell
Mother's Day Carnation
Spring Sakura
I got inspired by the least favorite storytelling and writing tropes thread, so I decided to post its sister thread.

♡ Two characters just see each other as friends at first, and then they realize they love each other and become a couple later on.
♡ A certain franchise gives the main characters two love interests so that the viewers can root for one ship over the other, or both.
♡ The stalker with a crush trope, where a character has an unrequited crush on the main character and stalks him or her wherever he or she goes, especially if it's the female stalking the male.
♡ One of the characters would secretly fall in love with the main character, but bullies him or her to keep a secret, like Helga and Arnold from Hey Arnold!
♡ When someone apologizes to another character and learned his or her lesson after doing something wrong, the scene usually ends with a heartwarming hug.

Foreshadowing and hinting were one of my favorite writing tropes because they set up the groundwork or hint at what is going to happen in the later part of the story or leave a clue on who is going to be the hero or villain of the story. It makes the climax more exciting.

1. When the pushover character learns to stand up for themselves.

2. When they actually make a twist villain work by properly setting it up and giving it good buildup and having them being a twist villian actually makes sense. (Example: Turbo from Wreck-it Ralph)

3. Time Travel, I'm a sucker for anything time travel related cause it's such a fun concept to me.

4. Lessons being realistic but still hopeful, I feel like they're much more impactful instead of being hopelessly optimistic or being obnoxiously depressing.

5. When the pure character has to deal with the most messed up stuff constantly, it's really funny to me. (Example: Butters from South Park.)

1. Foreshadowing and hinting, as someone else said. When done well, it enriches the story.

2. I love himbos lol. Think Gumshoe from Ace Attorney or Bolin from Legend of Korra. I wish there were more chubby or strongfat ones, as that’s what I’m into, but they add humor to otherwise dramatic situations. Bonus points if they turn out secretly smart.

3. Sweet old ladies who are secretly snarky and/or have a dirty mind.

4. Anything to do with disguises, I’m a sucker for. But it has to be done well.

5. A time limit— like “if you don’t break the curse in a week, you’ll be doomed forever.”

6. Moral grayness and anti-heroes. This is hard to write well, but is interesting when it is.

7. The underdog ends up blowing everyone’s mind by being really talented or doing something heroic.

8. The hero has a famous alter ego but no one recognizes them when they’re just their regular self.

9. Witches living in enchanted cottages in the woods. (Good or bad)

10. Animal sidekicks, for both heroes and villains.

There’s probably more, but this is from the top of my head.

Last edited:
Back