• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

My rankings of the Pokemon types - Part 1

Alolan_Apples

Old > New
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
After spending a few months playing Pokemon and reading the guide on Bulbapedia a couple times, I was able to form my opinion on the best and worst Pokemon types. A lot of you would know that since you have been playing Pokemon for a long time. Although I knew about Pokemon since 1999 (in fact, I even had a few Pokemon toys back then), I never played a core game until last November. By then, there were already 18 types. I was studying the Pokemon types, learning about the moves of each type, as well as the Pokemon.

Today's list and tomorrow's list are about my subjective ranking of all of the Pokemon types based on offense. The better the moves are (based on power and accuracy), the more types it's super effective to, and the fewer types it's not very effective or has no effect, the higher the position. I may find some moves to be cooler than others, but the power and accuracy, as well as other factors (like drawbacks) are more important than the looks.

If you do not agree, you can write your opinion in the comments section.

Best nine Pokemon types:

1. Ice - easily the best type (or one of the best types) offensively. It has a good range of special and physical moves, with Ice Beam being the most powerful non-legendary special move with a 100% accuracy and Ice Punch being the most powerful non-legendary physical move with a 100% accuracy. It is super effective to four different types. The six type combinations with a double weakness to it all have at least one Pokemon each. That, and prior to Gen 6 when Fairy Pokemon were introduced, ice was the only type other than dragon that was able to take out the overpowered dragon Pokemon. Granted, there are four types that are resistant to ice, but one of them is themselves. Out of the other three (water, fire, and steel), water is only weak to ice if the move was Freeze-Dry, which adds four more types that have a double weakness of ice. And with the exception of ice Pokemon, there are only three Pokemon with a double resistance to ice moves. Another reason why I think ice is the best type offensively is because it's one of the four types that can lead to a status condition (the most powerful status condition), and one of the three types to have a one-hit knockout move. And it has a weather status move that hurts all Pokemon except the ice Pokemon, which also boosts the accuracy of Blizzard (a move more powerful than Ice Beam that can hit all opponents). And is there any type it has no effect to? Nope.
  2. Ground - Coming at #2 is one of the two earth types in Pokemon, which is ground. It is one of the two types that are super effective to five different types. Not to mention, but it's the only type super effective to electric Pokemon, and it's super effective to two different types that are good defensively. Even four of the five types don't have a good defense stat. It also has a one-hit knockout move, and the only TM move with a 100% power and 100% accuracy with no drawbacks (Earthquake). Even only two types resist ground moves. But it also has its disadvantages. It has no effect towards any Pokemon using Magnetic Rise, Pokemon with the levitate ability, and flying Pokemon. There's also a lack of special moves (with Earth Power being the only good one). And even if it's super effective to five different types, not all of the type combinations involving double weaknesses to ground exist.
  3. Fighting - yet another type that's super effective to five different types, and it's commonly used. It also has a large range of moves, the average attack stat of fighting Pokemon is high, is super effective to steel Pokemon, and is the only one super effective to normal Pokemon. Based on the moves, most fighting types are physical sweepers, so they can hit Pokemon with poor defense stats pretty badly. But it's also not very effective towards five different types, as it has no effect to ghost types.
  4. Dragon - even if it's only super effective to dragon Pokemon only, the average attack and special attack stats for dragon Pokemon are really high, so it relies on same-type attack bonuses to hit any Pokemon. In fact, the only two types of Pokemon resistant or immune to dragon are steel types and fairy types, both of them being absent in the first generation.
  5. Fire - probably the best starter type when it comes to offense. It has a good mix of physical moves and special moves, but it's good on the special side. It is one of the three types super-effective to steel. Fire Pokemon tend to have good speed stats as well. The only four types it's not very effective towards are dragon, water, rock, and themselves. There's not even a lot of Pokemon with type combinations that have double resistances to fire. Plus, it has a weather status move that makes them more powerful, and there's a status condition caused by a couple of these moves that consumes HP of the target after each turn. However, the only weakness in my opinion is that a lot of the fire moves have major drawbacks, especially the more powerful moves.
  6. Fairy - the newest Pokemon type there is, and the very first Pokemon type introduced in the 21st century. But in my opinion, it doesn't matter how powerful or weak the fairy moves are. The reason why I rank it pretty high is because it's good against dark and dragon Pokemon, which are overpowered defensively (based on typing). Electric moves and starter moves aren't very effective towards dragon Pokemon, and psychic types don't even work on dark Pokemon. So the fact that fairy moves can hit dark and dragon Pokemon, as well as fighting Pokemon, is very good. The only three types it's not very effective to are steel, poison, and fire, where two of them are rarely used. The biggest problem is that it has only one physical move, and it's not very good.
  7. Ghost - both ghost and dark Pokemon are super effective to psychic and ghost Pokemon while not being very effective to dark Pokemon. So why would I rank ghost higher than dark? The answer, ghost Pokemon damage fighting and fairy types normally, even if dark Pokemon have better attack and special attack stats. Also, there are more special ghost type moves than special dark type moves. The only problem is that ghost Pokemon don't affect normal Pokemon. What else? No type can have a double resistance to ghost moves.
  8. Dark - it's good against the same pokemon ghost pokemon are, but it's not very effective to fighting or fairy Pokemon. It at least has powerful moves on the physical side of the spectrum.
  9. Psychic - approaching the midpoint, we see the dominant type of the first generation. Psychic Pokemon used to be a lot more powerful, but not anymore. In fact, it's only good against two types, poison and fighting. The only types resistant to psychic are steel and themselves, with dark Pokemon being immune to them. However, poison and fighting Pokemon are very common as secondary typing, which is why this type is very powerful. It's also a special sweeper type, just like how fighting is a physical sweeper type. Plus, poison is good defensively, making this type powerful. Not to mention, but it's the most common type for legendary Pokemon. Same-type attack bonuses make it even more powerful.

That's enough for today. Stay tuned for tomorrow to see the bottom half of the list.

Back