• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Older AC release memories

Tom.Nook

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
5 Envelopes
Seeing as everyone is so hyped for the release of New Leaf in LESS THAN A WEEK!! I figured this would be the perfect time for people to share their personal stories of other Animal Crossing game releases! I remember when i was about 10 or 11 and i got Animal Crossing City Folk the christmas it came out! I'v put more than 500 hours into that game haha :) So crazy to think back then! Any personal stories or memories? We'd love to hear!

Way back before Population Growing came out, I discovered an article about it in Nintendo Power. I was amazed and told my grandma to buy it for me. This was before little me learned that games were advertised and talked about BEFORE they were released. So we found out we had to wait 3 months for the game to come out.

That whole summer I stayed up until 3 AM by myself in the livingroom reading those issues of Nintendo Power over and over again. I wrote comics based off the screenshots, I made a list of things I would be doing every day, I thought about how I'd decorate my house. I drew designs I wanted to make into clothes. I saved up my money so I could buy the game and guide myself.

...Now that I look back, it's just what I do now. ;-; I feel like a child agaaaaain.

Well I had typed a huge long post....and I accidentally highlighted everything, and it deleted it all.....My mouth dropped for literally 30 seconds... not cool. I'm way too lazy to type it all over. Basically my first animal crossing experience was over 7 years ago on Wild World...twas amazing

I heard about ACPG long before it's release in England online, and in up until the release practially typed up and printed my own guidebook for the game from the internet. (I still have about 50 sheets of paper in a folder, and that's after I threw about 3 times that of irrelevant info out before we moved house.) I also remember looking up the game on google during an IT lesson in school (discovering there was a money rock that glowed red everyday at that very moment) and being told off for not working.
Then on release day buying the game and having my parents decide they want to go out for dinner and go to the cinema on the way home and leaving me itching to play the game even longer.

WW I can't remember the hype before, but I by some luck my parents booked a holiday to America over the release day so I managed to get the game (something like 6 months) before the UK release.

And CF came out over a time when I stopped bothering with the internet so much, so my hype was contained by my largely uninterested friends. xP But it did get delivered a day early and right before I left for college which was painful.

EDIT:
Well I had typed a huge long post....and I accidentally highlighted everything, and it deleted it all.....My mouth dropped for literally 30 seconds... not cool. I'm way too lazy to type it all over. Basically my first animal crossing experience was over 7 years ago on Wild World...twas amazing

I assume undo and paste shortcuts couldn't retrieve it.
But sometimes a little 'Restore previous entry' button appears on the bottom of the posting box if you refresh the page which might help. - I literally discovered it this morning.

Besides NL, of course, I've only been through the CF release. I didn't hear about WW until a few years after it came out. I got it for Christmas 2006 in a white DS bundle with Brain Age. Oh, the memories! Magical, magical memories. :')

I remember dying for CF, but I didn't actually get a Wii until 2009 and no one would buy the game for me. :rolleyes: I lost interest soon enough. No special stories here. *shrug* :p

I don't really have a lot of memories of the past game release dates... because the games were already released when I heard/read about them.
When I knew about ACGC, it had already came out a long time ago and I discovered it in the house of a friend of my brother [and searched for it almost immediately because I really liked it]. Same with WW, only that I got it when my dearly departed grandmother bought me my DS Lite with that game.
For CF, I think I read about it in a magazine, and then my parents bought it as a christmas present for me and my brother.

So I only been through the release of New Leaf [which is the thing that made me buy my 3DS].

I was really excited when WW came out..When I got it I played it for non-stop hours finishing my job at Toom Nooks in under 10 mins. I loved that game and I'm about to get city folk for my Wii and Maybe hen I get a 3DS New Leaf will probobly be the first game I get for it......No real special special stories here I told them all to ROGER my pet red ball that's tied to a rope on a pole and I like to kick him around :3 Well anyways that's really all I got :3

I remember AC:CF. I had to go to Sunday morning church with my parents, and after, all I can remember is playing Anmal crossing 'till I went to bed. Lol.

:)

I wasn't actually into Animal Crossing during the releases of any of them, except for New Leaf.

Same. There's been other games that I've waited years for, skyrim being one that I paid a LOT of attention to, but this is the longest I've waited for an Animal Crossing game. Also the most attention I have ever paid to a nintendo release in general.

I think the only Animal Crossing game I actually got on its release date is Wild World. The GCN version I tried a month after its original release, and City Folk I got around a week later. I was on a trip when it came out.

The funny thing is that I don't remember anything at all about getting Wild World or playing it the first time. I just know I preordered it, and was waiting impatiently for it so I had to have gotten it on its release date.

Not so exciting tbh. I saw an ad in a magazine/website or something for WW and thought "hey that looks nice" so went and bought it as it had been released already. CF I found out about by accident well after it was released but I never got into it, the controls were horrible for me and I hated how it wasn't as portable.
This is the only one I'm aware of pre-release!

i remember playing wild world and having so much fun... it literally kept me entertained every day for over 6 years, even though now it's probably one of the worst versions of the game haha then i remember eagerly waiting for city folk and getting that as soon as it was released, but i was severely disappointed. stop playing it after about a week, but i've gotten back into it after getting all excited for new leaf lol and now i can't wait for new leaf, and i'm sure i will not be disappointed :D

I never got the first one because I didn't know about it.

Then for WW my brothers, friend gave us his DS that he never used and he gave us WW aswell.

For CF I never knew it was out and I was in a game shop and saw it and then I bought it. I never really followed the release dates for the games. In 2008 or 2009 I joined the forum and it was great. Then I came back like 2 years ago and couldn't remember my password so then I made a new account. The only reason I'm here was because I came back late last year looking for people to play CF with and then I saw that NL was out in Japan. I knew that it was going to come out back when they announced it but then I had totally forgot about it.

The only Animal Crossing game I actively anticipated before this was the original Animal Crossing on the gamecube, but boy was it a doozy. I don't fully remember but I believe there was some sort of campaign or a huge desire from english audiences to play it...and that's why Nintendo brought it over?

Either way I remember being extremely excited for the game, it wasn't like anything I had played before so it was really something else in terms of excitement. I think I annoyed my family talking about it all the time.

I bought wild world at some point after release though, probably because it felt so similar to the previous game.

I wasn't really interested in City Folk because it seemed very samey, but new leaf is a completely different story.

Last edited:
My story? I saw the game in Nintendo Power, and I was intrigued... I most likely read the second part where they showed a day by day journal of the lives of the editor's characters... I asked my Grandma to pick it up for me come September. (Pretty much one of the only games I got close on Release Day) Anyways, the wait was long, and the school day just dragged on... Until I got home. Once she pulled up in the driveway with my new game in tow, I inserted the game in my Gamecube... And my exictement couldn't handle itself anymore... I made a mad dash towards the bathroom and... vomited. (Sorry for the gross imagery, guys.) I musta invested myself into the game almost every day. I even remember my first six neighbors!

Our first experience was with Wild World. My daughter received if as a Christmas gift from her grandparents (seems alot of grandparents have done this). It took a bit for the rest of the kids to notice what was going on, but once we all saw the potential fun, I actually had to set a timer for 30 minutes every day so that each child could get a chance to play and have access to some of the goodies. I took MY time during the day when they were at school! It kept us all addicted until City Folk came out. And contrary to what a lot of folks have said, City Folk was just as much of an addiction for our family. We really enjoyed the new graphics and options available. That's when we found out about the new version for DS and the three year wait began. I can't believe it's almost over!

Way back before Population Growing came out, I discovered an article about it in Nintendo Power. I was amazed and told my grandma to buy it for me.

I read those articles too! ^_^ I remember in particular one that was in diary form. The guy was super funny the way he described everything. Then at the end of the day he said something like. "I finally have some furniture for my house. A green chair! Now I don't have to sleep on the floor anymore!"

That just made me laugh and laugh! Who sleeps in a chair!? =P

I bought the GameCube one on the day it came out. I believe it was a Sunday too. I was walking around a local store and was contemplating on whether I should buy it or not. I ended up walking out of the store with it thinking I'd get tired after 3 days or so. My GameCube town stayed alive for 2 years after that. That was the best AC experience. When Wild World came out, I bought a DS just for that. It was a good game. I didn't like that the top screen was just used for the sky. I then bought a Wii just for City Folk, but I wasn't too big on that. I honestly think New Leaf will be the same experience I had with the GameCube one. I could be wrong though. Guess we'll find out on Sunday. I pre-ordered 3 bundles. Not all for me of course. ;)

Back