you foolish fool
Bells
Heart Glow Wand
White Tulip
Black Feather
Rainbow Feather
White Tulip
Heart Glow Wand
i normally dont care much about rewards shows, but i was shocked to find out they actually selected parasite as best picture. ive often disagreed with oscar choices from the sidelines so it feels really odd for them to pick something i'd agree with. i've noted for most people who saw the movie they also agree it was the best picture. (of course, its still entirely up to opinion!)

i then proceeded to be immediately disgruntled by online reaction to the win by people that, for the most part, haven't even seen the movie, and probably never appreciated a good foreign film in their lives. to quote bong joon ho, there is a one inch barrier between audiences and thousands of amazing films. another argument i've seen is "oh they picked it to be woke/because diversity" but that literally doesn't even make sense because parasite wasn't about diversity at all. idk how to get through some peoples heads that, in korea, it is not "diverse" that everyone from korea is likely korean in race... i've even seen complaints he spoke korean for his speech! like what?? he's a korean man! he makes movies in korean and speaks korean... regardless of what you think of the movie, i think it's agreeable that a lot of the reactions regarding it being a foreign film were ignorant.

on the oscars nomination list, i had only seen joker and parasite, but parasite was definitely better of the two to me (and in its representation of class differences and poverty, entertainment value, character enjoyment, etc...and i thought joker was a good film as well) SO i don't have the broadest idea of the runners, but there were also some really amazing performances in the oscars, like janelle monae's and billie eilish's, who i've never heard sing live and i didn't know she sounded that good, so that was fun too!

i think this award show was a lot better than the past few years and actually enjoyed it a bit. though, at the end of the day, marking the quality of a film to awards is mundane, BUT there is something to be said about recognition in film, and the audience perception being an important part of the experience. but, at the end of the day, it's up to each individual viewer. i just hope maybe more people will try out foreign films after this show! cause there are so many good ones! (oldboy, rec., suspiria, audition, etc... there really is a whole world of works out there untouched by some audiences)

so, with my opinion out of the way, do you guys have any insight? what was your "best film" of the nominees? opinions on the controversy?

I literally could not care less about the oscars. It’s just a bunch of stuck up rich people patting each other on the back and gloating over their own achievements. It’s a popularity contest, not a ‘best in entertainment’ contest.

Also, as much as I think Joaquin Phoenix was amazing I’m salty that Taron Egerton wasn’t even nominated for Rocketman.

I literally could not care less about the oscars. It’s just a bunch of stuck up rich people patting each other on the back and gloating over their own achievements. It’s a popularity contest, not a ‘best in entertainment’ contest.

Also, as much as I think Joaquin Phoenix was amazing I’m salty that Taron Egerton wasn’t even nominated for Rocketman.

i haven't seen rocketman! i'll have to add that to my list. i agree, which i talked a lot about in my post, but i still think the oscars does hold some importance in its selection because it often influences the tide of the film industry and what people view. in cases like these, where parasite, a foreign film, got recognition, i think it could impact the industry in a positive way (more eyes on foreign film) so i try to be a little positive about it. but yea, it really doesnt matter or define anything about films legitimately.

honestly i don't care other than like best international/foreign movie if anything interesting stuff is nominated. but yeah it's stuck up and too afraid to make something nice of it these days.

Waste of time but heck, do I have anything better to be doing?

I love the Oscars. They invited me to dinner this weekend. Such a nice family! :blush:

To be completely honest I didn't even know it happened til I saw an article about Toy Story 4 winning an award this morning.

Aka I don't care at all :p

My opinion of the Oscars is one of complete apathy. Frankly I didn't even know they just happened until I saw this thread.

I don't care about awards, but Parasite winning Best Picture was pretty great. It's just such a good movie. Like Oscar movies can be pretty slowpaced and out of touch from time to time, but even if it wasn't a foreign film I feel like it's still a pretty rare best picture win. But maybe I just prefer movies with relatable stories. Still, Parasite is really entertaining.

It’s a disaster. There are too many political speeches. They do not need to talk about politics in awards shows.

Other than that, I don’t care. Accolades had their part of the play.

I don't care about awards, but Parasite winning Best Picture was pretty great. It's just such a good movie. Like Oscar movies can be pretty slowpaced and out of touch from time to time, but even if it wasn't a foreign film I feel like it's still a pretty rare best picture win. But maybe I just prefer movies with relatable stories. Still, Parasite is really entertaining.

that win is what made me interested, in all honesty. ive generally always disagreed with the decision but i was shocked to learn it won. i remember seeing it in theaters and just being captivated!! an amazing movie! its amazing how their day to day life of poverty was so clearly portrayed. really good stuff

Last edited:
It’s a disaster. There are too many political speeches. They do not need to talk about politics in awards shows.

Lol, you're realizing why they are as "correct" as they are right?

Also honestly, give me a Brando standing up for people and I'll watch again.

I do not watch it, but I like hearing about what the winners are passionate about, and what inspired them in the process. If that is not for you, then pay it no mind. You are not required to care or blindly follow them. My favorite speech was Joaquin's about animal rights and honoring his late brother.

another argument i've seen is "oh they picked it to be woke/because diversity" but that literally doesn't even make sense because parasite wasn't about diversity at all. idk how to get through some peoples heads that, in korea, it is not "diverse" that everyone from korea is likely korean in race... i've even seen complaints he spoke korean for his speech! like what?? he's a korean man! he makes movies in korean and speaks korean... regardless of what you think of the movie, i think it's agreeable that a lot of the reactions regarding it being a foreign film were ignorant.

I think "diversity" is referring the depiction of the poor and the wealthy in Parasite.
Though, seeing as how a Korean would be yelled at for speaking Korean... I would not be suprised if that was the result of senselessness as well.

Last edited:
i honestly don?t care about the oscars or who won or lost; i rarely watch movies or tv shows anyway due to a very short attention span so i likely wouldn?t recognize any of the nominees, anyways

I never watch that crap.

I haven't watched regular TV for nearly a decade.

Foxtel. They suck but it beats regular TV.

imo there's no reason for an industry-run awards show to exist, the fact that the oscars are basically perpetuated by hollywood execs make them lose a lot of meaning

however they undeniably have cultural impact so it's always nice to see cutting-edge films like parasite and moonlight win best picture

I've never really cared for them nor have I ever watched them. It's nice and all, I guess? For the people winning the awards. Good for them and all. But not worth my time lol

Can't be bothered about the Oscars, they're a joke. But if I was in the academy, Parasite would still be best picture, obviously, but I'd open the category for more international things. The seventh art needs to be more international. Parasite is the only of those 9 nominated movies that isn't american, yikes.
Other petpeeve is the animation category... Toy Story 4 was technically pristine and flawless, but the story as so weak. Pixar really can't get their sequels right nowadays lol. I'd love a smaller studio to win, like that french film I Lost My Body. (also, unrelated to this year, but Studio Ghibli only has one oscar and no other nominations. What's up with that, academy?)

Back