• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

"Popular" and "Rare" villagers - A sort of rant.

Midgetsc

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Silver Mailbox
Cake
Mailbox
Why are villagers like Julian, Marshal, Merengue, Tangy, and so on considered "rare" and "popular?"

At this rate, they may be popular, but they're definitely not rare; so many people are getting them.

If this is the case, why can't I sell Katt and get a ton of money? She is rare, because the poor cat is hated by a lot of people.

Every other town you visit will have at least one of the popular villagers. At least one. These guys aren't even rare any more! If you want to have a nice town, rather than copying what everybody else has, why don't you get your own villagers?

I'll admit; I have Tangy, simply because she was available at the time.
I also have Fang, but I actually don't see him quite as much, so meh.
And Marina, because I traded her for Julian and I wanted to get a fair trade since I didn't really like Julian that much at that point in the first place, and the other person did want him.

Even I have some popular villagers. But not because they're popular; they were just available. Actually, Fang was on the title screen and I fell in love with him while resetting, but STILL. In fact, if it weren't for someone wanting Julian and offering Marina, Julian would probably have been sold so I could actually be succesful in this game. I suck so much.

But anyways, yeah. It's just sad, because now a lot of people all have the same villagers and there's not a ton of variety in towns... XP It's kinda boring.

I currently have Agent S, Sylvia, Pecan, Deirdre, Nana, Chow, Vladimir, and vic. Yeah my village dont have any popular ones as of now. :p

But yeah thh i try to make my dreamie list as far as possible from what is considered popular, with only Fang and Merengue somewhat popular. I dont really like seeing dream towns with Marshals, Merengues, and Octopii, it gets quite stale and boring to see them every 3/5 times.

I don't think I have any super popular villagers. I just get whatever comes really, I like having the variety and I like the whole 'not knowing who you'll get' factor.

Last edited:
Simply put, because most of the popular villagers look cool. If they didn't have unique features, then they wouldn't be popular. Merengue looks like a cake, cool!
Tangy looks like a fruit, cool!
Julian is a unicorn, cool!
And Marshal... I have no idea why he's popular. Maybe his face?

My town only has one uber popular one :p
I don't like ones with all uber populars its like, what about the friendships you made in other games etc, surely not everyone had the same villagers and friends in previous games lol

AND YOU HAVE EUNICE <3333 & Marina <333 & Bones <333 & Tangy <333
4 sort of dreames for me, who actually have memories attached to them :p
Tangy BFF in GC
Eunice BFF in CF
Marina & Bones in WW :p

My town only has one uber popular one :p
I don't like ones with all uber populars its like, what about the friendships you made in other games etc, surely not everyone had the same villagers and friends in previous games lol

AND YOU HAVE EUNICE <3333 & Marina <333 & Bones <333 & Tangy <333
4 sort of dreames for me, who actually have memories attached to them :p
Tangy BFF in GC
Eunice BFF in CF
Marina & Bones in WW :p

XD Eunice isn't actually mine, I'm just holding her for a person who's afraid to TT, and giving her to her rightful owner on the 16th.

But yeah. I luff Marina and Tangy <3 Bones is just kinda there XD He has been from the beginning.

XD Eunice isn't actually mine, I'm just holding her for a person who's afraid to TT, and giving her to her rightful owner on the 16th.

But yeah. I luff Marina and Tangy <3 Bones is just kinda there XD He has been from the beginning.

Aww thats nice ^_^
i was so lucky to start off with 3 of my dreamies in my original 5, but even they arent deemed as popular :p (Willow, Apple, Rolf)
Your town is so varied with villagers, its great

I would consider some of my villagers to be quite rare 'cos they're barely ever traded.. They're not so much hated, but barely ever traded.. Particularly Bangle and Sydney, they took me SO long to find

I would consider some of my villagers to be quite rare 'cos they're barely ever traded.. They're not so much hated, but barely ever traded.. Particularly Bangle and Sydney, they took me SO long to find

Same, I had to go all out to get Bangle... but I got lucky with Melba and someone kindly offered her for free on Reddit.

I know I have Marshal, Merengue, Rosie and Fang, but that isn't because they're popular and I want to trade them or sell them for millions of bells. Marshal was one of he first people to move into my town when I made it - I think he was the second random move in - and at first I didn't think I'd like him and now I love him to pieces. I did not even know he was considered "popular" until I joined this forum. I've also always loved Fang and Rosie, so wanted them for nostalgic reasons, and then my friend had Merengue in her town and I spoke to her a few times and grew to really like her, so when she left my friend's town she let me have her :)
I also love all of the non "popular" villagers in my town too - you don't see many people talking about Deena, for example, but I have her for nostalgic reasons. So, I know it may seem boring to go to dream towns and see the same villagers, but as long as people are happy with the villagers they have, why does it matter? Just go to different dream towns. Personally, I very rarely see masses of popular villagers in the dream towns I've visited!

I don't really think people are "copying" or want villagers just because they are popular, it's just there are certain villagers that are particularly cute or unique looking so a lot of people happen to want them. I'm not going to stop liking the villagers I like because a lot of other people like them too.

Some have borderline characteristics (Julian's a goshdarn glitter unicorn, Ankha resembles an Egyptian goddess, Merengue's made of cake etc), some starred in the Dobutsu no Mori movie (Tia, Rosie, Whitney...). Also, species. Let's face it, the internet as a whole is much more enthusiastic about cats or wolves than elephants/anteaters/gorillas. This doesn't only apply to AC; go play any game that involves animals and you'll realize how far ahead the cani/felines are in terms of popularity.

As previous posters already mentioned, though, I haven't met a single person who wants a villager just because they're sought after? /shrug/ I see nothing wrong with liking certain neighbors, regardless of how many other people do.

that being said, I personally have never had a 'tip-top' animal and I'm fine with it. I like my little ostrich people more o':

Last edited:
"If you want to have a nice town, rather than copying what everybody else has, why don't you get your own villagers?"

None of the villagers are really are own villagers, someone designed them and we either like them or we don't. The personalities don't seem to differ much at all between villagers of the same personality so obviously it makes sense to go for the villagers that look better. Some people go for certain characters for sentimental reasons (like Bob for me), but some people have never played another AC game. e.e It's not a huge coincidence that a lot of people like villagers who are unique or well-designed. It's not a huge coincidence that you don't have a huge mob of adoring fans for say, Moose. It makes sense. Also, some people's idea of nice is having what others' have... not saying that's a great, because I don't think it is, but if that's what makes them happy then have at it. e.e I don't see the problem because what's boring to me is completely inconsequential to how they should live their lives or play their games.

But yeah I get the whole "they're not rare" thing. I don't really hear that so-and-so villager is rare whole lot though. I hear of popular but only time I hear rare is when someone's complaining. But who knows, maybe I'm jut being oblivious.

Well, it definitely gets boring seeing the same popular villagers in other towns again and again . I personally am not a fan of the really popular ones (like Marshal or Julian), but I don't mind it if people want them. I don't care what other people do with their towns xD

Last edited:
I have the villagers I have because I like them. I couldn't care less if they're popular or if every Tom, **** and Harry and their grandmas have them. I LIKE them :p
I don't really visit other towns anyways so I don't see every single popular villager other than my own

Simply put, because most of the popular villagers look cool. If they didn't have unique features, then they wouldn't be popular. Merengue looks like a cake, cool!
Tangy looks like a fruit, cool!
Julian is a unicorn, cool!
And Marshal... I have no idea why he's popular. Maybe his face?

This.

I picked my dream villagers because they are unique in their species. Julian = only unicorn, Tangy = only... orange? (I've actually had her in all of my towns so she's more sentimental than anything else), Flora = only flamingo, Pheobe = only pheonix, etc. And Eugene just reminds me of the Fonz, I mean come on.

Anyways, I don't understand why anyone cares about people wanting popular villagers. Why get so riled up over somebody else's villagers in a game? Just don't go their town if it bothers you that much. :s

A lot of people have similar taste--if most people had to choose between a horse and a unicorn, the unicorn would probably be more popular. Especially since hey, we're all playing ACNL, we must have somewhat similar taste in SOMEthing to be led to the same game. I don't think there's anything wrong with people liking the same things.

The list of popular villagers isn't like two or three, there are actually a decent amount whose names come up often and are considered popular even if they aren't Julian himself. With villagers constantly moving in and out, I don't see how you could never have one.

You're saying it's weird that most people have at least one popular villager...but I feel like you answered your own question when you said you have three popular villagers just because they were available. To me, if people aren't chasing them, they come across them because it's hard not to have one in a town of ten villagers.

Why do people care so much about other people's villagers?

In another thread (the gengi one) people seemed to have ganged up on the OP because she worded her like she would've kept gengi if she knew he was so popular, and people were implying she was wrong for collecting a villager just for being popular.
Like who cares? She wasn't, but even if she was collecting popular villagers, does it affect you? When I visit towns I don't even look at villagers, I look at the PWPs and greenery.

And as someone said earlier, popular villagers tend to be the ones that look unique. Drago is a dragon, Julian a unicorn, and so forth. Unicorns are popular, thus the ONLY unicorn villager is going to be popular. Should a fan of unicorns /not/ go after Julian just because he's popular? No, that's ridiculous.

Back