• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Pre-Ordering the Bundle

Ah, really? Interesting. Is that a different mode of SD card info swapping than the typical method then? Is there a guide?

LOL that is the typical method, herpderp. I was asking if I transferred, would I need to do anything with XL #2's new leaf game that's on that sd card. So:

XL #1 (all my current data) -> XL #2 (New Leaf data)
The transfer would replace everything on XL #2. BUT THEN NEW LEAF WHERE

Does that make more sense?

Does that make more sense?

It does, I hope you find your answer and sorry I was no help.
My GUESS would be that Nintendo (being a corporation, and as much as we love them), would want to shaft you at every turn, so I will say that they would delete all data on your current SD card in leu of using the one that you are transferring from. I would wonder if you linked your new DS to your club nintendo if you would be able to download it again once you have transferred all data, (since a lot of other club nintendo stuff seems to merge). But that is only a guess.
but that is probably not much help to you either! Send an email to Nintendo asking for a reply.

Edit:

looks like I was right!
After the transfer, downloaded software or save data which was stored on the SD Card of the target system can no longer be used. This means that any content you have already downloaded to your new system will be overwritten when you transfer data from your old system. However, as the Nintendo eShop accounts are integrated into one during the transfer, software can be re-downloaded from Nintendo eShop.

If the same downloadable titles are on both systems, the save data of the target system will be overwritten with the data from the source system.
from http://www.nintendo.com.au/support/index.php?action=help&helpcatID=237 (number 3)

Last edited:
Wow, so I'm going to lose FE because I can't transfer to my new XL? That seems off. There has to be a workaround for a bundle like this.

Edit: nvm misunderstood. Okay that's not so bad. Annoying to have to renown load FE because it took so long but oh wells.

Ah, excellent! I'll just need to redownload from the e-shop. Doesn't sound like too bad of a deal to keep my info. Thanks~

I will be sending an email to Nintendo later tonight (my time) just to make certain of this since I will be wanting to do the same thing. I will let you know what the reply is (if they reply) once I get it.

Awesome, sounds good! Looking forward to seeing what they say.

Yes, copying the SD card contents onto another SD card keeps the info, here's a step by step I found with extra info to the Nintendo site instructions on how to upgrade (forgive me as I did not make a note of the source, but googling the first few lines will direct you there):

You can, of course, just swap your old card for your new one, but then any pictures you?ve taken and games you?ve downloaded and ?extra data? and stuff won?t be on there unless you swap cards again. And we all know that swapping SD cards is the worst of all First World Problems.

Using this method, you can transfer everything from your old card onto your new card:

1. Mount your old card on your computer.

2. Create a folder on your computer and copy EVERYTHING from the card to it.

3. While it?s doing that, put your new card in your 3DS and turn the 3DS on. It?ll initialise the card for you.

4. When both these have finished, mount the new card in your computer.

5. Open the folder you made on your computer, and copy everything to the root of the new card. If you?re asked to overwrite folders, or merge folders, say ?yes?.

6. When the copying has finished, you?re almost there. Next, on the new card, open the folder called ?Nintendo 3DS?. Inside there will be folder with a huge string of letters and numbers for the name ? open that.

7. Inside that folder will be two folders with long random names. One of these is the folder tied to your old card, the other is the one tied to your new card. Simply copy the contents (not the folder itself) of the old one (it?ll be the one with the larger filesize) into the other one ? merging and overwriting again if necessary.

8. Put the new card back in your 3DS, reboot it if necessary, and you?re away!

Last edited:
Back