• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

PSA: Gamestops won't do midnight release for NL

Not much, getting a simple head start I guess, since 6am is a new day in the game and all. Hmm, second thought I'd better think about it more.

Hmm, well some will be disappointed by that. I wouldn't be going to the midnight release anyway, I'd have no way of getting there :p I'm getting the Xl New leaf bundle so I have to go digital, without the benefit of midnight downloading. Oh well!

Whats the point of a midnight release anyways? All the shops will be closed unless you change the time.

You can play through the intro, maybe go crazy and reach 100 mayor points and then when 6am rolls over it's a new day, so on the 9th people will be able to act as though it's day 2 - and then anything unlocked after x amount of days (Island and Dream suite!) will be unlocked the day before people who got the physical version.

Even though I'm in the UK, I'm considering TTing to the 8th/9th so that I unlock everything at the same time as people on here so I don't get any pre-warning on unlocking shops and when I've hit tree growth milestones.

I asked today at gamestop bout a midnight release and was told, no... not happening. I have the ACNL system paid for in full, just waiting to go and get it... /sighs I hate waiting!
And like in another post I read... all ages are playing this game. I'm an older person and love animal crossing.
Please feel free to friend me, would love to have some friends to enjoy animal crossing when it's released.
Friend code is, 5112-4718-2248 & name is kitkat on 3ds xl.
Thanks and take care

I don't think my Best Buy will be doing that either simply because it's part of a strip mall and I don't think they want to risk any misbehavior or such. In fact, I don't think the Gamestop across from it is doing it either.

I'm kinda sad none of the shops around here are doing a midnight release, actually the only time I have seen people waiting outside is during Black Friday sales and that's the only time I see a 'launch'.

To be fair, after so many reports that they're not going to be stocking more physical copies than have been pre-ordered, it's a bit predictable. They'd have to pay staff to come in to hand out copies that have already been paid for/they're promised the sales for already. No profit in it for them.

I can confirm the fact that they will not stock much other than pre-orders. I am personal friends with most of the local Gamestop workers, and they informed me that Nintendo is getting really stingy with physical copies in order to boost digital sales. No one preordered Fire Emblem: Awakening here, and my Gamestop actually got 0 copies in. I understand why Nintendo wants more digital sales - they make more money that way. As a collector, however, it kind of pisses me off.

What would you even do in game, playing at midnight? Sure the tutorial but everywhere would be closed... waiting the day after is good enough for me.

I'm not sure when the option is available, but New Leaf does have a feature where you can decide what times the town operates. So, like, if you're someone that can't play until later in the day, and would normally miss all the morning and afternoon stuff, you can change it so the town starts things later. So stores can be open later, etc. They discussed it in the Inside The Treehouse videos Nintendo's been doing.

Anyway, I hope to get this on the 8th at 9PM PDT, since thats midnight eastern. I know I was able to get Fire Emblem digitally around that time.

Makes sense that they want people to buy the e-version at midnight, not the actual hard copy.

I am not surprised about Nintendo's decision, but it is what it is.

I asked why they aren't at my EB Games and they only had 20 pre-ordered they said they would if over 100 but they didn't get that many... :<

It's kinda lame, however I got some super awesome plans that will now take place all weekend, so I wouldn't be picking it up till Sunday anyway, so I'm not upset :D

I've also decided to wait till Sunday morning anyway.. my gamestop opens an hour earlier on sundays. :) I really do think I'd be up all night playing, or wishing I was playing if I tried to go to bed.

since i per-ordered the XL bundle i will have to get it Sunday morning i know retailers cant do this without some type of repercussions but i wish just this once they'd break street date i wanna play new leaf so bad it hurts as for the whole nintendo thing i sort of understand (this may also be the reason why we get no figure when per-ordered) but at the same time your alienating those of us who might not have a big enough SD card or just want physical copies but hey nintendo has more money than me guess they can do what they want

I have one reserved, so I'm not too worried about it being a non-midnight release.

That kinda sucks. I think I can hold off for the next day though. I'm going to be out of town so I'll have to pick up the game in a different state! Hey, there's always downloading too. :D

Eh, I'm not that disappointed about not having a midnight release at Gamestop.
I like to sleep anyways, haha.

Back