• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

QR Codes and New Horizons? Is it possible?

ali.di.magix

🌟💫🌟💫
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
4286-9543-9212
Golden Salmonid Egg
Goomba
Invader
Pinky
Purple Feather
Waluigi Easter Egg
Waluigi Easter Egg
Waluigi Easter Egg
Waluigi Easter Egg
Waluigi Easter Egg
I don't think I've seen a thread like this here yet, so here we go.

As we know, ACNL had the great feature of being able to read QR codes. QR codes enabled as to either create our own unique designs, or use other creators' designs for our paths and clothing. It was easily doable for the DS, as it has a built in camera. But this is not the case for the Switch.

The Switch has no built in camera like the DS. The closest we've got is an Infrared (IR) camera that is located on the right joycon (pic here). I'm no tech genius, but from a brief google search, it is confirmed that the IR camera on the joycon can detect shapes and images. IR cameras have also been used to read QR codes in other technologies as well. The only problem I can see is that the IR camera on the joycons seems to be rather low resolution, so it may not be able to pick up fine details in a typical QR code.

The other way I can think of them incorporating QR codes is through the Nintendo Switch app. This would be much easier as most (if not all) phones should easily be able to scan QR code designs. Then whatever is scanned in is imported into the game somehow.

It may be far fetched, but do you think it's possible for Nintendo to include QR code functionality into New Horizons?

Do you care that there may not be any access to QR codes and other creators' designs? Are you quite happy with the natural paving we've seen and not having QR codes for clothing?

There may be other options for you to customise your own clothing, or options for different paving styles (like through a PWP, different tool or something). Personally, I'm not a very good artist so I'm not sure if I'd be able to create my own designs, so if there isn't anyway to share designs it would be a bit annoying.

Let me know what you think!

Hopefully they just add a menu in-game that allows designs to be shared and downloaded.

I'm really hoping for this. I have no doubt they will bring QRs back in some form, I just wish it was more like in HHD where you can search codes online. Having a database like that directly in the game itself would be very handy. This idea is pretty plausible though with the cellphone feature. That phone looks like it still has a lot of room for more "apps" to be added to it as you unlock things through gameplay (probably through eventual NPC interaction).

My phone region can't download the Nintendo App so it would be a real bummer if it was only available through there. Unless they make this available for every region, a lot of players would be missing out on this feature or they'd have to work around it somehow to get it. Like in Splatoon 2 and the nintendo app where your past battles and interaction with other players are shown, but the app itself isn't necessary to your gameplay (other than ordering variant gear off splatnet). I could see a nintendo app being used in AC to order furniture items and stuff though, kinda like splatoon.

In short, I wouldn't mind if Animal crossing had its own app compatibility as well, I just hope we don't have to depend on it for part of the gameplay, in this case, using it to scan QR pattern codes. I'd rather have an in-game code feature.

Last edited:
Back