• The first day of our new Mushroom Season event has passed, but things are just getting started. Read the update about changes made to the schedule, starting with day two. Be careful foraging and good luck!
  • Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Zelda Question: About the Ocarina in The Legend Of Zelda Series...

Cosmic_Crossfade

•~You are my sun, moon and stars~°
Bells
Sautéed Mushrooms
Spores
Switch
5896-9847-9174
Hello everyone! I hope you are all keeping safe and doing well!

So while replaying "The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask" on the 3DS (a game I've thouroughly enjoyed and played during my childhood during the good old N64 days) a question came to me that had me particularly thinking...

"How is the Ocarina of Time so powerful?"

I don't recall any lore from the games saying that is was an instrument from the gods or whatever, and if so, then I totally missed it aha. However, if it isn't, what exactly is the lore behind the Ocarina of Time and it's functions? Also, do all ocarinas in that timeline hold mystical powers too? (Saria's was able to play mystical music as well once given to Link) or is it just the music in the world that is powerful and not moreso the instrument itself? (As in Majora's Mask, you play a variety of instruments) Maybe it just that Link can do all of these things because he is a Triforce brand holder?

Anybody know the reasons behind this? What are your thoughts?

I think it's due to Link's own innate power as a Triforce bearer, as the only other person who can obtain similar results with an ocarina is Zelda. And it's worth noting that the only time the Song of Time in Ocarina of Time does what it does in Majora's Mask is at the very end when Zelda plays it. Link can only temporally affect certain objects in certain areas (the Song of Time blocks move between child Link-era and adult Link-era) in OoT. It's not until the opening of MM when Zelda teaches him the Song of Time in person that Link is able to use its true power to move through time himself.

Saria, due to her sage status, I think is subconsciously aware of Link's special power when she teaches Link her song, but she can't channel it herself (you only ever "call" her, never the other way around, unless I'm misremembering something). In what little time the Skull Kid has the ocarina at the start of Majora's Mask, he isn't able to work any magic with it, despite having other magical powers - like y'know being able to drop the moon.

Back