• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

AMA Renn's Doodle AMA

jadetine

✨Hi! I’m Renn💫
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
2676-3129-8012
Island
Pokki
Viridis Mushroom Lamp
Indigo Mushroom Lamp
Galaxy Cupcake
Fly Agaric Mushroom Lamp
Golden Mushroom Lamp
Caustic Crystal
Opalescent Crystal
Enchanted Bloom
Rose Crystal
Citrine Crystal
Edit: Everything is charged, but I'm still happy to answer with a shaky tablet doodle. ^_^

I'm waiting for my iPad to recharge so I can make more art. *_* Instead, I am sitting at my computer, fiddling with my old drawing tablet, so I can respond in doodles. Sorry I never learned how to use this tablet, but here we go!

1627272320317.png

Some things that might differentiate me or make it into my TED talk: I am...
  • well-read in the shoujo / josei / Otome Isekai and YA fantasy genres
  • a big fan of soundtracks and orchestral concerts
  • an ex-MMO player / videogame journalist
  • a mom (/sigh now i have to have slang explained to ME... what is YEET?)
  • a polyglot
  • a well-traveled foodie (I think)
  • a law school and med school dropout
  • hoping to finish writing a YA fantasy novel and to improve my art skills
  • in dire need of a better pillow for side-sleeping

Last edited:
Hello there, Renn! I'd love to hear about your recent YA fantasy favs! I love the genre but have been in a reading slump recently aha. Also that's so cool that you're writing a novel yourself! : D

Hello there, Renn! I'd love to hear about your recent YA fantasy favs! I love the genre but have been in a reading slump recently aha. Also that's so cool that you're writing a novel yourself! : D
1627274329162.png

OMG my 3rd favorite series just ended last year with The Return of the Thief
It was like reading the end of Harry Potter! Sad to see it end, but really quite satisfying to watch the title character smite evil, win love, and make cheeky remarks with his sharp wit throughout. The main char is Eugenides, a master thief employed by his queen and blessed by the thief god, which allows him basically to parkour really really well, lol. He eventually loses a hand, so that's a hook. I love the character interactions and nobody writes like Megan Whalen Turner -- you don't know what's happening until the threads all come together! I also adore the ancient Greco-Roman setting. It is riveting!

I would say my top 5 that exclude the big names like Harry Potter / Percy Jackson and The Queen's Thief series I just mentioned would be:
  • Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce
  • Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
  • The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison
  • Graceling by Kristin Cashore
  • AHHH I can't pick just 5...
    • Older names: Mercedes Lackey, Jane Yolen, Sherwood Smith, Vivian Vande Velde are all excellent! T_T
    • More recent pros: Alison Goodman, Leigh Bardugo, Victoria Schwab
Post automatically merged:

Also, you might need a magnifying glass to see the %completion on my novel:
1627275372696.png

Last edited:
View attachment 387113
OMG my 3rd favorite series just ended last year with The Return of the Thief
It was like reading the end of Harry Potter! Sad to see it end, but really quite satisfying to watch the title character smite evil, win love, and make cheeky remarks with his sharp wit throughout. The main char is Eugenides, a master thief employed by his queen and blessed by the thief god, which allows him basically to parkour really really well, lol. He eventually loses a hand, so that's a hook. I love the character interactions and nobody writes like Megan Whalen Turner -- you don't know what's happening until the threads all come together! I also adore the ancient Greco-Roman setting. It is riveting!

I would say my top 5 that exclude the big names like Harry Potter / Percy Jackson and The Queen's Thief series I just mentioned would be:
  • Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce
  • Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
  • The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison
  • Graceling by Kristin Cashore
  • AHHH I can't pick just 5...
    • Older names: Mercedes Lackey, Jane Yolen, Sherwood Smith, Vivian Vande Velde are all excellent! T_T
    • More recent pros: Alison Goodman, Leigh Bardugo, Victoria Schwab
Post automatically merged:

Also, you might need a magnifying glass to see the %completion on my novel:
View attachment 387115
The Return of the Thief...oh, I think I've heard of this one! Haven't ever looked into it though. What you've described makes me want to start reading it actually LOL. I love when authors set up stories to keep you on your toes and nothing is ever black and white!

The synopsis for The Goblin Emperor has piqued my interest 👀 I love stories involving goblins and faeries, such as The Folk of the Air trilogy by Holly Black (One of my all time favorite series c: ). Leigh Bardugo is another fav of mine as well! Have you read the Six of Crows Duology?

Hey, you got this! I don't think most people realize how much time it takes to write a full novel. There's so many details to take into account to make everything flow together smoothly. Just know I'm rooting for you! ٩(ര̀ᴗര́*)

The Return of the Thief...oh, I think I've heard of this one! Haven't ever looked into it though. What you've described makes me want to start reading it actually LOL. I love when authors set up stories to keep you on your toes and nothing is ever black and white!

The synopsis for The Goblin Emperor has piqued my interest 👀 I love stories involving goblins and faeries, such as The Folk of the Air trilogy by Holly Black (One of my all time favorite series c: ). Leigh Bardugo is another fav of mine as well! Have you read the Six of Crows Duology?

Hey, you got this! I don't think most people realize how much time it takes to write a full novel. There's so many details to take into account to make everything flow together smoothly. Just know I'm rooting for you! ٩(ര̀ᴗര́*)
OMG I forgot Holly Black! YUSSS. And I have a fancy advanced order of Six of Crows that came with a character poster and bookplate. Yayyy fandom!

I had asked an author at a signing to sign my book with writing advice. He wrote "sit your ass down and write". Thanks, Patrick Rothfuss. I have yet to fully take his advice...

OMG I forgot Holly Black! YUSSS. And I have a fancy advanced order of Six of Crows that came with a character poster and bookplate. Yayyy fandom!

I had asked an author at a signing to sign my book with writing advice. He wrote "sit your ass down and write". Thanks, Patrick Rothfuss. I have yet to fully take his advice...
I love that! It's always fun when preorders come with bookish merch. Tbh I've yet to go to a book signing, but they always seem so fun, especially when the author details their writing process or talks about their characters etc!

It's getting a bit late for me, but I've love to chat some more about books whenever you're free! C:

Always with the hard questions! UHHHH
View attachment 387138
Final Fantasy X by Nobuo Uematsu, Skyrim by Jeremy Soule, and Gladiator by Hans Zimmer

Hehe ;D
I both have skyrim & gladiator in my spotify "soundtracks' playlist, I'll need to check out FFX!

Hehe ;D
I both have skyrim & gladiator in my spotify "soundtracks' playlist, I'll need to check out FFX!
FFX might have more meaning to me as a game that I played obsessively as a teen; but you can't possibly skip music by Nobuo Uematsu if you want a more enriched and satisfying soundtrack life, lol. He has a large catalog of work, so I recommend checking out the compilations:

The man can compose all sorts of music! Choral, flamenco, metal, you name it.

FFX might have more meaning to me as a game that I played obsessively as a teen; but you can't possibly skip music by Nobuo Uematsu if you want a more enriched and satisfying soundtrack life, lol. He has a large catalog of work, so I recommend checking out the compilations:

The man can compose all sorts of music! Choral, flamenco, metal, you name it.

Well...I now know what I'll be doing this morning :cool:

I just started reading this webtoon called Sound of Bread, about a synesthete in a romcom situation. What an unusual concept! (I just love bread). XD
1627320211911.png

It also reminds me of Nodame Cantabile, a wonderful anime about conducting (the orchestra).

Last edited:
There's this "rare" (not that rare) cat in Neko Atsume that the English version calls Tubbs.
1627608816754.png

In Japanese, his name is Manzoku-san, which is more closely translated as "Mr. Satisfaction", lol.
I ate like Manzoku-san today.

Are these AMA threads still allowed? I’m stranded at the car shop without my stylus or my Switch or my kids… the only thing I have is my phone so it’s fingerpaint doodle time.
IMG_3860.png

Last edited:
@Roxxy
Which artist inspires you? 💜

If we get to name people I know, then @Aquilla for sure. It means so much to have someone to ping pong ideas with and someone who isn't so distant that I feel bad for bothering them with my art struggles.
1688251256682.png

If we're talking about narrowing it to a specific one, gosh, that's hard...
So thinking back to my roots and what started the whole art obsession for me, it would be the Japanese manga art team CLAMP-- sorry if that's a cheat group answer, but I thought it was a single person for the longest time!
These ladies started a legacy of amazing art and stories as just a trio(?) of fanartists that banded together. I think what they made was beautiful and inspiring-- my art doesn't reflect the same style, but the colors and the fluidity and the complex graceful subjects they painted... I am just blown away (even to this day, decades later).
1688251279499.png

What animal do you enjoy drawing the most?

Which AC villager do you enjoy drawing?
I don't draw many animals -- which I should totally remedy! I was super obsessed with tigers as a kid and all my OC's had tiger friends, etc. I guess felines in general are fun! The skull structure is so strange to me; I really need to practice more.

1688254418179.png

As for AC villagers... I enjoy drawing Coco!
And not because she's super easy, oh no, not at all... kekeke. I don't really get requests for Coco ever tho.
1688254439419.png

@Roxxy

If we get to name people I know, then @Aquilla for sure. It means so much to have someone to ping pong ideas with and someone who isn't so distant that I feel bad for bothering them with my art struggles.
View attachment 497783
IMG_8877.jpeg

Uh hello??? This is not something I expected to read today and it feels like a mega privilege that I get to be an inspiration for someone as creative and skilled as you. Made my day! 🩷 I love that we grow together. ✨ That cheeb is adorbs, thank you for that!

Back