• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

AMA Renn's Doodle AMA

Do you have any of your own OC's?
If you made multiple OC's, who's your favorite OC?
I have a few dozen OCs crowding my head, but never the will to flesh them out. I suffer from a bit of OC envy when I look at other people’s OC characteristics and think my ideas are rather plain.

My first OCs were triplet princesses with green eyes and black hair. Jadetine was the warrior of the three and had two big bangs, a ponytail or bun, and some sharp earrings.

Doodle_aMA.jpeg

My current favorite OC is Sarym; I never figured out her coloration, but she has very curly hair that is a struggle to draw repeatedly (there she is in a hood *cough*). She’s a bit sheltered. As a vessel for a fire based dragon, monks kept her hidden in a mountaintop temple where she could only read about the world (and watch from magical portals) instead of experiencing it. The story starts when Jun (a sort of lost prince) whisks her away on an adventure as they try to outrun his brother, the vessel for an ice dragon.

Last edited:
Hey! I see you like orchestral concerts! Who is your favorite orchestral composer? Mine would probably have to be Gustav Mahler!

Hey! I see you like orchestral concerts! Who is your favorite orchestral composer? Mine would probably have to be Gustav Mahler!
Ohhhh again with the tough "choose one" questions. 😂
There are so many amazing composers. Framing it as "if I could only ever listen to one symphonic composer ever again", I would have to choose... Nobuo Uematsu! People might scoff at his catalog of mostly videogame music, but he has such a wide range and shows a creative curiosity in his approach. I'm not spitting on other modern soundtrack composers that I like (John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Joe Hisaishi, Jeremy Soule, etc.) but they all have certain repetitive motifs...

1688337083383.png

If we're talking classical composers, I have very basic taste: Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak... oh and I appreciate Paganini as a violinist, but I never enjoyed playing his scores.

John Williams would probably be my favorite modern soundtrack composer because we've played much of his music throughout my high school band career. This past school year (my junior year), I was a part of my school's Brass Quintet (I play French Horn). One piece that we played was a transcription of Raiders of the Lost Ark, and it had epic horn parts!

John Williams would probably be my favorite modern soundtrack composer because we've played much of his music throughout my high school band career. This past school year (my junior year), I was a part of my school's Brass Quintet (I play French Horn). One piece that we played was a transcription of Raiders of the Lost Ark, and it had epic horn parts!
I think it’s the same John Williams that played “Cavatina” always reminds me of my dad who played it on the guitar 🥺❤️

Renn ❤️ If you were gong to illustrate a book you had written, what would the main character be inspired by?

I think it’s the same John Williams that played “Cavatina” always reminds me of my dad who played it on the guitar 🥺❤️

Renn ❤️ If you were gong to illustrate a book you had written, what would the main character be inspired by?
Cavatina... I have always wanted to learn to play guitar, lol! Another thing to add to my bucket list.

I wish I could say something sentimental like my characters are inspired by my family or whatnot but... most of my ideas come from the media consumed as a pre-teen. There was a handful of years where I was watching and reading about strong female characters that were masquerading as men or were surrounded by males as they tried to navigate their struggles (Mulan, Alanna by Tamora Pierce, etc).
1688663369775.png

(I'll never forget this scene from Disney's Mulan when I saw it in the theater. The way the music swelled and her resolve to cut her hair and go to war to protect her family... it still brings a tear to my eye when I hear the music today).
I like my main characters to stay true to themselves, to attempt to follow their moral compass, and to live with integrity. It's kind of how I try to lead by example, though I recognize I have been blessed with a privileged upbringing and have suffered very little in the grand scheme of things (I haven't really had people or events test my mettle).
I am terrible at writing wily, capricious characters because that's so different from my own mentality, lol.

Back