Restarting, what happens if I reformat my DS?

Bri

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
I hate my activity log. It's so screwed up. lol

Now, I have a DIGITAL copy of AC:NL on a 2GB SD card. If I reformat my 3DS, can I still use it? If not, is there another way to reset the activity log?

I hate my activity log. It's so screwed up. lol

Now, I have a DIGITAL copy of AC:NL on a 2GB SD card. If I reformat my 3DS, can I still use it? If not, is there another way to reset the activity log?

I'm not sure :S
Surely if you lost AC, you'd be able to download it again for free, as a worst case scenario?

Reformatting deletes everything on the SD card and the 3DS. Everything will be gone and you have to go through all the settings as if you just bought a new 3DS. So definitely don't do that. No one really pays attention to the activity log anyway, so I don't see why it really matters.

Reformatting deletes everything on the SD card and the 3DS. Everything will be gone and you have to go through all the settings as if you just bought a new 3DS. So definitely don't do that. No one really pays attention to the activity log anyway, so I don't see why it really matters.
I've reset like 20 times already, so the stats are off. My average playtime is now like 20 mins. >__> OCD...

When I say it gets rid of everything, it gets rid of everything. Which includes your e-shop account data. Without your e-shop account you won't be able to re-download New Leaf for free. You'll basically be paying for the game again. And do you really wanna start over with your town? You've spent about 7 days (assuming you got the game on the release day) with your town, and reset it A LOT to get the perfect town. Do you want to go through all of that over again? If you want to reformat it, I can't stop you. I just don't think it's a very good choice

I've reset like 20 times already, so the stats are off. My average playtime is now like 20 mins. >__> OCD...

I have OCD too :/

When I say it gets rid of everything, it gets rid of everything. Which includes your e-shop account data. Without your e-shop account you won't be able to re-download New Leaf for free. You'll basically be paying for the game again. And do you really wanna start over with your town? You've spent about 7 days (assuming you got the game on the release day) with your town, and reset it A LOT to get the perfect town. Do you want to go through all of that over again? If you want to reformat it, I can't stop you. I just don't think it's a very good choice

Surely you can link your eShop account again? Will be the same email/Club Nintendo accounts...

I might try and find a blank SD card and try this. I don't believe for a second you wouldn't be able to re-download your games that you've already purchased...

I already reset. I only reset about 10 times (so about 40 maps) to find one I liked. The problem is, my map was way too open for what I have planned. It was all trees and stuff. There was no good spot for a cafe, I messed up placing the police station, I messed up when placing my house ...

It's not a big deal. I'd much rather have restarted now than weeks from now when I'd have had tons of cash and community projects set up (in places I don't like).

And that's RESET, not reformat. After reading up on it a bit, I won't be reformatting. But I already reset.

Last edited:
Surely you can link your eShop account again? Will be the same email/Club Nintendo accounts...

Nope, Email accounts and Club Nintendo have nothing to do with your eshop account. This is the main reason I decided to NOT go digital.

EDIT:

button line. Reformat your 3DS and you will lose everything in the eshop you once had.

Nope, Email accounts and Club Nintendo have nothing to do with your eshop account. This is the main reason I decided to NOT go digital.

EDIT:

button line. Reformat your 3DS and you will lose everything in the eshop you once had.

Damn! Thats harsh of Nintendo... What happens if your 3DS gets stolen or lost? Can purchases ever be recovered?
What if you back up your SD card or something?

Damn! Thats harsh of Nintendo... What happens if your 3DS gets stolen or lost? Can purchases ever be recovered?
What if you back up your SD card or something?

Backing up SD card will maintain saved data but not eshop information. I had asked Nintendo about the fact that a 3DS can break or be stolen here is their reply

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. It's great to hear that you're interested in the Nintendo eShop for*your Nintendo 3DS system. In regard to your first question, I can confirm that purchases made in the Nintendo eShop are specific to the system they were made on. As such, the only way to transfer them is to perform a system transfer, which requires both systems to be present, functioning and connected to the Internet. Linking your system to a Club Nintendo account doesn't change this.
However, let me reassure you that if your system should need to be repaired, we can preserve your Nintendo eShop account as long as you have your system repaired using our Factory Return Program. During the repair process, our technicians would be able to preserve your Nintendo eShop account, which contains the licenses of the software you've downloaded, as well as any balance of funds.*
If*something else were to happen to your system and you had downloaded software or if you wanted to deactivate your Nintendo eShop account, we*would want to speak with you directly. While I'm unable to guarantee a specific resolution in cases such as these, we are always more than happy to*look into the situation for you.*If you need to in the future, you can contact our Consumer Service Department by calling 1-800-255-3700 any time between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time, seven days a week. In regard to your question about the serial number, we generally find this information helpful when assisting you.
Thank you again for your email; I hope this has helped to answer your inquiries. However, if you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to let us know.
Sincerely,

Chloe Olson
Nintendo of America Inc.

Backing up SD card will maintain saved data but not eshop information. I had asked Nintendo about the fact that a 3DS can break or be stolen here is their reply

Ah I see... Well that sucks. Thanks for posting it. It's good to know...

I really hate to say it, but this is the exact reason why I never buy digital copies. Lesson learned op, you should just buy a hard copy and reformat to your heart's delight. As for bells, they're really not hard to make in this game, you can make over a mil a day.

I really hate to say it, but this is the exact reason why I never buy digital copies. Lesson learned op, you should just buy a hard copy and reformat to your heart's delight.

I'm worried now because I have the following digital things:

Mario Kart 7,
Luigi's Mansion,
Zelda: Seasons,
Zelda: Ages,
Zelda: Links Awakening,
Bomberman Blitz,
Pokemon Dream Radar,
Animal Crossing Clock.

I honestly can't believe Nintendo wouldn't/won't offer some form of recovery :/

Back