• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Sally/Hazel

Liquefy

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Cake
Here's the story:

Introduced in DnM, there is an orange squirrel with the Japanese name of Rarami. Her AC name was localized to Hazel.

Introduced in DnM, there is a gray-brown squirrel with the Japanese name of Paseri. Her AC name was localized to Sally.

When ACWW was released, Paseri did not appear. Rarami appeared, but the NOA localization team inexplicably changed her name from Hazel to Sally.

When ACCF was released, Paseri still did not appear, but Rarami remained. Her name stayed Sally.

Can you guess?
In TDnM, Paseri reappears! Both Rarami and Paseri appear.

So, what do you thinK? When ACNL is released, will we have two squirrels named Sally (not that there's anything wrong with that)?

I think the names they were originally givin. Hazel being the orange squirrel and Sally being the gray-brown squirrel.

I think Sally will stay Sally but the old Sally will be named Hazel.

Or Sally's name will go back to being Hazel and the old Sally will get her name back.

Holy crap this is confusing .-.

I'm sure WW/CF Sally will be renamed Hazel like her ACGC (unused) counterpart. And the old ACGC Sally will get her name (And obviously looks) back. :)

I'll go with the original localization and have:

Rarami = Hazel
Paseri = Sally

I just wonder why Nintendo did that.

And then, the elephant "Sally" from the Japanese games that got renamed "Margie". I really don't understand the logic with name switching like that. I mean, they could have just left the elephant alone and called her "Sally", because it's an English name. And, then named one of the squirrels "Margie" instead. But...no, they switched it all around.

I mean, they could have just left the elephant alone and called her "Sally", because it's an English name. And, then named one of the squirrels "Margie" instead.

That'd make sense, except Margie wasn't introduced until AFe+, whereas Sally the squirrel was introduced in the inaugural N64 game.

I expect the naming conventions to revert to the ACGC norm, for what it's worth.

Oh, I guess I forgot that Margie wasn't in the original Animal Crossing...for some reason I thought she had always been there. So, I guess that's why they named her Margie, because they already used Sally for the squirrel.

I would figure that they would revert back to their original names, since it wouldn't make since to flip flop the names completely.
I wonder if it was an error originally and they were like whatever, no one will notice.. :lemon:

LOL, the published Prima guide doesn't have identified villager images, so I can't use it to answer easily the Hazel/Sally dilemma! (Stupid Prima!)

Under "Squirrels," on page 112, there is listed:
Sally with birthday of June 19 (this corresponds with Rarami)
Hazel with birthday of August 30
Cally with birthday of September 4 (this corresponds with Parsley)

LOL!
So, Rarami, who started out as "Hazel" but was changed to "Sally," remains "Sally" in ACNL.
Parsley, who started out as "Sally" but disappeared, has reappeared as "Cally" in ACNL.
A brand new squirrel, known as Iris in the Japanese version, is named "Hazel" in ACNL.

LOL, the published Prima guide doesn't have identified villager images, so I can't use it to answer easily the Hazel/Sally dilemma! (Stupid Prima!)

Under "Squirrels," on page 112, there is listed:
Sally with birthday of June 19 (this corresponds with Rarami)
Hazel with birthday of August 30
Cally with birthday of September 4 (this corresponds with Parsley)

LOL!
So, Rarami, who started out as "Hazel" but was changed to "Sally," remains "Sally" in ACNL.
Parsley, who started out as "Sally" but disappeared, has reappeared as "Cally" in ACNL.
A brand new squirrel, known as Iris in the Japanese version, is named "Hazel" in ACNL.

Well, that's confusing.
Iris is the squirrel that has a monobrow.

I had Hazel (now-Sally) in ACGC, and hated the pointless name change. I still hate it and feel like Hazel suited her more.

I also had Sally at one point (or was familiar with her, at least), and her name suited her better.

I wish a team would re-translate DnM e+ back to English (Japan took our own better game and translated it all back and made it better for them ,_,) It had some really cool stuff that wasn't present in other Animal Crossings (town projects, which came back in acnl - waking up nook in the middle of the night to see him in his hilarious pajamas - hitting a rock to find the reset center, which is somewhat different from ACCF and ACNL).

That explains why the "Hazel" who moved into my town yesterday doesn't look anything like the "Hazel" I knew and loved in ACGC.

Well, that's confusing.
Iris is the squirrel that has a monobrow.

Yeah, that uni-brow is a bit.... Hmm. And, only saw her briefly, when I went to say hello, but is her catch-phrase actually "uni-wow"?!? I'm going to have to befriend her to change that!!!

And, only saw her briefly, when I went to say hello, but is her catch-phrase actually "uni-wow"?!?

Hahaha, really? I love that :D
I got the new Hazel today, too, and she's so hideous :x the worst part is I could have prevented it because I did the "controlling where villager houses appear" thing. But I just figured "oh Hazel, she's cute!" and let her move in, only to find out there's a NEW Hazel again...

It would be cool if they had named her Frida (like Frida Kahlo), but then they would have had to change the name of the current Frida (the penguin) to Hazel. AC logic.

Back