• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

SM64 Screenshot #2: Head Under Water, Breathing Fine (Literally)

xSuperMario64x

brief hiatus
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
8558-0128-9692
Island
He/him
Purple Flower Glow Wand
Galaxy Cupcake
Planet Glow Wand
Tetris Grid
Heart Glow Wand
Welcome back to my SM64 Screenshot blog, your source for in-game comments, straight from Super Mario 64's #1 fan! I'm here today to review a rather quirky screenshot I happened to take not too long ago:

Head Under Water, Breathing Fine (Literally)
View attachment 237340

I was just chillin in one of my favorite areas in the game, Jolly Roger Bay. The music in this level is very calm and nostalgic, and is considerably the best water-level theme in the whole series. Also, I can never seem to get enough of that eel... Unagi, is it? No, apparently he's a "Maw-Ray" now--whoops! Goin off track a bit there. Anyways...

So I decided to take a step into the water. Shallow enough that I wouldn't start to float away, but deep enough that the quaint collection of strings would begin to fade into the music. It really is a peaceful feeling; the waves washing delicately over your hands, the strings humming in your ear. Almost makes you want to... fall asleep...

After relaxing for some time, listening to the water world theme whilst working on my physics homework, I heard a very familiar phrase--"I'm-a tired!"--and thought to myself, "wait a second, Mario is standing in the water! Is he really gonna fall asleep in it?"

And sure enough, he was sitting in the water, completely submerged (with the exception of his hat) in the water of the lake. And he was asleep.

Now, I'm pretty sure that this defies all SM64 logic. Many players are familiar with the health-wedge system, which happens to link directly to the amount of time that Mario can hold his breath underwater, and can be replenished by collecting coins or resurfacing. Well here, not only is he breathing underwater, he's also snoring!

As usual, he eventually lied down on his side, into a deeper slumber. By this point, even his hat was completely submerged in the lake. And the greatest part is, he's sleeping underwater like it's nobody's business! I would eventually come to hear him have vivid dreams of many forms of carbohydrate, crystal clear as a sunny day. No blub blub about it! This new logic makes me question everything I thought I knew about underwater life in SM64.

If you'd like to make a recommendation on what I should comment on next, let me know! Tune in next time for the next SM64 Screenshot blog entry! :)

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,170
Back