• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Snail mail

Imbri

Resident Night Mare
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1856-7828-8669
Island
Deilf Isle
Baby Chick Easter Egg
Sweetheart Easter Egg
Strawberry Doll
Tortimer
Shadow Kitty Plush
Rosewater Potion
Blue Rosewater Potion
Rose Crystal
Lily of the Valley
Pavé Pink Feather
Anyone here like writing/receiving snail mail?

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't live without text (email is more for official stuff, rather than "hey, how are you?"), but there's something nice about opening the mailbox and finding something other than junk or a bill.

Given the state of things right now, a lot of groups that normally meet face-to-face aren't doing so. My writing group is one of them. We have Zoom meetings, but it isn't the same. To combat that, a few of us have paired up and are playing the letter game, writing to each other as fictional characters (some from projects they've been working on, some creating new characters for the game). It's been a lot of fun, especially since you don't have any idea what your partner will say. One of the rules is that you can't discuss plot outside of the letters, so there's no organizing things. It's all reacting, in character, to what you get.

Outside of that, there have also been a few "real" letters going back and forth between some of us. As someone who lives alone, it's made things a little less isolated, which is nice.

Plus, it's always nice to use pretty stationery and a good pen to send a note, however long (I'm kind of chatty in letters, and usually run to 2 sheets, front and back). Oh, and did I mention sealing wax? Yes!

So, is anyone else reviving the practice of penpals, of any sort?

This is so creative! I would love to try doing that at some point though it's a bit inconvenient right now, and general laziness I suppose (not the penning the letter part but the delivering part haha). I have zoom lunch with friends once a week or so but it really isn't the same...!

Oh for sure! My best friend and I started writing letters to each other when quarantine first started. A little known fact about me is that I practice wax seals! I always thought that they were pretty and always sealed my letters with them. I made sure that the stamp and seal matched in color but... that’s not important lol. We wrote about what was going on in the moment, what we had planned, and what we weren’t already texting each other. I wrote a letter to my best guy friend for his birthday as well! I did little doodles and sent him his gift because I couldn’t see him face to face. It slowed down since summer started, but for a solid 3 months we wrote back and forth and kept pretty consistent! Getting that letter got me going to my mailbox more, that’s for sure! I also ordered this blue border stationary which was so cute, and the envelope was perfect for wax sealing, but that’s me just talking about paper eheh 😌

It's been ages since I last used the postal system to send mails of any sort. I used to still do it with a pen pal but after Facebook came out, it seems the days of sending and receiving letters was numbered. However, I like to write letters because I feel that it infuses the spirit of the writer at that moment. Partially is because we always grow as a person every second of our lives and we are constantly changing for better or worse (hopefully the former) but letters and the words written in it are unchanging. It's nice to look back at letters and relive the moments and the emotions or memories that come with it. My significant other is more modernized and prefer text messaging which is really convenient and makes long distance relationship easier but it does not have the same feel and spirit in my opinion as a physical letter. She would would always say writing letters is tedious and she can't stand the anticipation of having to wait for letters (makes you wonder how couples back in the days before IM dated). I still write letters to surprise my significant other (I secretly like to see her ball out her eyes reading letters but that is only possible when I'm physically with her) :LOL:

I have a sorta penpal on TBT using conversation function and we write about random events going in our lives and wish each other well wishes, we respond based on what we get but it's not a snail mail since it doesn't go through the postal system. I've always wanted to try wax seal and using quill pen on parchment paper but it's expensive to procure those materials in my country :unsure:

Ahh I love snail mail. I used to write a lot to pen pals but it was years ago and I’ve lost touch with a lot of them, or we ended up adding each other on Facebook and keeping touch there instead. My country’s postal service is pretty unreliable and even more so during the pandemic so I haven’t had the motivation to start again (plus I‘m in a funk and I don’t think I’d have anything interesting to write about lol). I used to be really active on postcrossing and I have shoe boxes filled with postcards from there as well as letters from pen pals. I really enjoyed it, so I hope I can get back into letter writing again soon!!

I don't really use snail mail but I have a few times. It's really nice to get an actual letter from somebody, just to see how they write plus you can send real stuff in the mail. I think I should get back into mailing people.

Oh my goodness I absolutely love it

I keep ordering things off at sea just because, unlike other online shopping sites, I love receiving snail mail that feels actually handmade

It makes me so happy when overseas family still send letters or mail wedding invites too oh my goodness

I participate in a postcard exchange called Postcrossing!

Basically, you send and receive postcards to people around the world. You are randomly assigned people to send postcards to, and if you send enough, you'll eventually start receiving postcards from random people too.

I feel like it's less pressure than being a part of a pen pal group because you can choose to correspond with your person once and never again. You can write as much or as little as you want on the card (given space constraints) on the card. It's also fun to choose how to decorate your card, to find the perfect stamp, and to find a postcard theme that your recipient will like.

I've sent over a hundred postcards on that site. So far, I haven't come across anyone weird or had any significant privacy concerns. Even though the mail has slowed considerably since the pandemic started, it's still fun to see who you'll be sending to and to see who's sent to you! 10/10 would recommend.

When I went long distance with my now-fiance, I randomly decided to send him letters at least once a month. We talked on the phone and texted practically everyday, but I think there's something special when you receive a surprise letter in the mail with something you wrote "in the moment". Just pouring out your feelings and waiting a few days to hear the response - absolutely classic.

It's such fun to read everyone's experiences writing friends and family.

I think what I like about letters is that it gives you a chance to really tell a story. Texting is fine, but it isn't terribly detailed or nuanced (my opinion). Plus, most of us don't save everyday texts, so it disappears. A letter offers more room to tell things in detail, making asides, and capturing the moment. And the recipient can pull it out and read it whenever they'd like.

For example, I sent a friend an account of the face plant I took Monday morning. I'm a little scuffed and bruised, got a skinned knee (a much easier look to pull off at age 10. At 51, not so much), and my dignity took the biggest hit. I was able to spin it out into a humorous anecdote, whereas if I'd texted her, it would have focused on me falling. And I know my friend; she'd be so concerned about whether I'd hurt myself, she'd miss the rest.

Anyway, I like that you don't have to write about big and important stuff, just have a chat.

I use to write my husband ( then boyfriend ) letters everyday when he was @ Parris Island for boot camp back in 2007. Sending and receiving letters are definitely more meaningful & special! So much more thought goes into writing someone a letter it just comes of as more genuine then sending someone a text. Plus letters are forever, it’s nice to go back and reread it from time to time. I do love the connivence of advance technology tho, but sometimes just I miss the old days.

Yes! I have a ton of vintage Sanrio and other cute stationary that I really want to share with others! I would love a penpal (though I may be a bit slow at times, pardon my health issues)!

i love getting mail! I used to have a penpal (back when i was an avid user of tumblr lol) but we kinda fell out, I think because of school obligations etc. I wish my handwriting were better, I'd like to send one of those really beautiful and cute handwritten letters :'(

I just got my first penpal match on Postcrossing! I'm so excited :D If anyone here would like to message me privately to discuss possible penpal connections, please feel free to do so! I like to spoil my penpals send lots of cute animal crossing/cute Japanese goodies lol <3

edit: *eats typo*

Back