• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town announced!

Harvest Moon 64 was my favorite growing up. I sunk a lot of hours into that one as a kid. Back to Nature, Friends of Mineral Town, and DS are all high up there too.

I don't know how to feel about this game. In the past, I loved Harvest Moon games. But ever since the Story of Seasons/Harvest Moon split, I haven't loved any of the games. I enjoyed the first SOS and Trio of Towns, but I couldn't get into Friends of Mineral Town.

Maybe this one will change that and get me back into the games. I think I'll wait and watch some reviews first. I just think Stardew Valley set high expectations for any farming sim going forward. If I'm not impressed, I'll just keep waiting for RF5.

IM SO EXCITED. I saw bad reviews but I’m still optimistic. Fingers crossed it’s a good game.

I've been playing the Japanese version and well, if you focus only on farming and animals it's an okay game. Pretty much everything else is kind of a hot mess, though.

I've been playing the Japanese version and well, if you focus only on farming and animals it's an okay game. Pretty much everything else is kind of a hot mess, though.

Yeah this is pretty much what I’ve been gathering from reviews so far. I’m going to stick with not buying this game at launch and waiting to see if they fix the problems with it later on. If it greatly improves then I will consider on buying it. I remember buying My Time at Portia at launch and a couple years later I’m still waiting on improvements they kept promising. It’s very disappointing. Though that game was a fair bit cheaper than SOS POOT.

I’ve tried to warn a couple friends about it and that it might not be a bad idea to wait and see what they do with it post launch, but they seem to be blinded by loving the series too much. One of them for sure has ordered the collectors edition to boot. I just hope she doesn’t regret it later. I didn’t tell them not to order the game just warned them about the problems with it and that it might not be a bad idea to wait. Oh well it’s ultimately their decision to make. For their sake I hope the game gets fixed.

I haven’t played a good harvest moon since the wii and it seems like that won’t change. I’ll stick with stardew for now. Maybe I’d pick this up years later when it’s on sale lol

Yeah, I’m not even super optimistic about them being able to fix performance issues, let alone dialogue if they’re going to keep the same scenario writers. We’ll see. I think the new director saw the success of SDV and tried to emulate that, forgetting why someone would choose to play a Bokumono game instead, and the game has lost basically all the charm of the series. I will probably finish my first year then go back to one of the 3DS games while I wait for New Snap.

I’ve been accused of trying to just trash the game and make people hate it by bringing up my issues with it so I’m just gonna keep my mouth shut for the next week. I’ll be interested to see if the reception is as bad as it was for Japanese fans. It hasn’t even been a month and used prices are already dropping to ¥4000 oof.

Has anyone checked out the streams by people who got review copies from Marvelous Europe? Is there anyone who has experience with the games who's worth watching?
I tried one of them, but I didn't get very far, between her not knowing the difference between seedling and original mode, and not understanding the customization features. Maybe a bit nitpicky, but TBH I just don't enjoy the idea of watching a stream by someone who isn't basically already an expert at these types of games, or someone who at least knows the basics.

My local game store got a copy in early, so I picked it up. Patches are already available for download despite the game not officially being out until Tuesday. I haven't gotten too far, but judging from what I've seen in streams, load times have been cut by about half. Still annoying, but it's definitely a noticeable improvement if you've seen the original load times.

I’ll be curious to see what people here who get the game at launch think about it.

I’m sticking to holding off on the game myself. If I am impressed with what they do with the game in the coming months than maybe I’ll buy the game.

I will buy it myself but I'm not in a rush to get it, so hopefully they fix the issues by the time I buy it. I do know that they are adding more content that you will have to buy as dlc.

Okay D3, so far I'm liking it.
Pros:
I enjoy the music, the mechanics are simple and everything is easy to understand.
Loading times are not as bad (I'm playing off line)
Graphics I love
Although I identify as a CIS man, I was really happy that you can have a male or female frame and the game ask you for your pronouns regardless of your appearance. And all clothes are unisex.

Cons:
Name 8 characters...
Buildings, Animals and farms 12 characters
Really missing the portraits
Makers, OMG!!! like a million makers and only being able to add one thing at a time is annoying.
Even though is easy to understand, you have to do the action first or visit a place to know how to do something, so I might have missed something.
10 stars quality, I think 5 is fine, 10 is too much

I recommend that if you are not dying to play it, remember each day can go up to 30 minutes. You wait until they fix some of the things like makers and portraits, or we get close to it, you should wait.

I also bought the Expansion pass so once it drop I will tell you about it. :)

Sorry for the bad review I'm not good at this. lol

There are a ton of makers, yes. I'm not a fan of it.

There's also way too many materials needed for things. Not to mention everything that clogs up your inventory. There's not enough space even with a fully upgraded bag when you have 4 tiers of logs and grass, for instance, which you in turn turn into 4 tiers of lumber and thread. That alone takes up 16 spaces, which you have to store in boxes because you won't have enough space for everything else.

That's probably my biggest gripe with the game.

Sprinklers are amazing, so glad they're back! It's really nice to create a large field of crops and not having to worry about watering it every day.

So I've finished the first Spring.

Here's my progress (in no specific order):
-Everyone is at 1-3 hearts.
-Laura, my main target, is at 3 hearts.
-Unlocked 3 mines.
-Unlocked Barn and Coop with a cow, alpaca, chicken, and silkie chicken.
-12 Sprinklers I use to water my crops.
-Bag upgraded to max.
-Golden Hammer upgrade.
-All other tools at Silver.
-Upgraded to the Log Cabin from the Tent.
-Pet acquired (Husky).
-Bee Hive is nearly unlocked.
-10 Ingot Makers, 10 Lumber Makes, 2 Thread Makers, 4 Brick Makers, 1 of every other maker.
-Pump unlocked. Lake in second area fully drained.
-Mushroom Log unlocked.
-Beehive nearly unlocked (need a bit more Durable Lumber)
-All unlocked skills between level 2-8.
-Unlocked both the clothing store and aesthetician.
-Unlocked Sprite Village, Lava Caves, and Beanstalk Island with sprites at level 4-5.

My days are quite packed.

At this point, I spend at least half of the day either mining, chopping trees,or looking for other resources (whichever I need materials more of). Usually I wind up in one of the mines every 2-3 days and chopping down trees the other. I just never have enough ingots and lumber when I need it.

My goal every day is make sure I don't run out of stamina and I'm in bed by 10 PM, since you wake up later depending on how late you stay up.

ohh i forgot everyone else got the game, i'm in the UK so i gotta wait til the 26th 😅

the only harvest moon/SoS game i ever played was a wonderful life (on the ps2) when i was a kid and i really loved it but none of the later games in the series ever really called out to me. i've been on the lookout though and for some reason this one caught my eye despite the seemingly mixed reviews so i'm gonna give it a chance!! i mostly see complaints about the visuals and how it plays but i personally think it looks cute and it seems like they're gonna patch out what caused the worst of the complaints sooo i don't really mind. i'm not going in with the highest expectations i just wanna grow some crops, cuddle some cows nd marry a cute girl. the essence of farming sims

definitely interested to see how everyone else gets on with it now that it's out in the US!!

I'm honestly kind of surprised how forgiving people are being of the game so far. My opinion definitely falls on Japanese fans' side of the spectrum. I could see having the 1.0.3 from the get-go definitely causing a more positive reaction than the mess the Japanese had on release. Even ignoring dialogue differences, there seems to be a huge gap in tolerance for performance problems, gameplay balance, willingness to wait for fixes after release, etc. I wonder why?

Back